Macbook Air

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:09 am

Machinesworking wrote:Yeah I think about it definitely. I think it's $150 for the bare internal enclosure, and I'm not afraid to do it myself, but i already have some decent solutions to that anyway that are cheaper etc. eSATA, with an external 3.5" is a bit faster than a 2.5" drive etc.
Still if I get the money together this summer i might.
I spend a lot of time away from my studio so to have everything onboard would be terriffic.

I have already replaced my hard drive a couple of times in MBP and it is really easy to do providing your not squeemish to loads of computer veins and parts. Should be just as easy to replace the superdrive with the optibay.

I use an extrenal drive anyway - so i guess my main point being that for the amount i actually use the superdrive, might as well be an external one.

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:11 am

adventurepants_ wrote:this at least is aiming towards apple's largest growing demographic.

metrosexual shemales updating their facebook at the airport over wireless. and "it fits in my manbag like its not there dude!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

metafactor

Post by metafactor » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:01 am

adventurepants_ wrote:this at least is aiming towards apple's largest growing demographic.

metrosexual shemales updating their facebook at the airport over wireless. and "it fits in my manbag like its not there dude!"
That's hilarious.

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:18 pm

today they release the Macbook Fist which you can shove up your arsehole

flogistox

Post by flogistox » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:55 pm

we need nothing but...air...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H85WFa7TgMk
imac g5 + m-audio fw 410 - edirol pcr m30+ live suite + reason + reaktor 5 + Analog factory + guitar rig and many guitars

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:20 pm

Couldn't have said it better myself. This notebook blows. Only metrosexual shemales and Hills cast memebrs would pay $1,799 for this thing.

I'll gladly take the macbook I bought 8 months back for about $700 less. That extra dough will come in handy for a myriad of other stuff...

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:35 pm

The trouble with the Air is that it really reinforces the excessively expensive/elitist side of Apple. It's a nice product for .01% of the population, and it's terrible PR for the rest. We're on the brink of economic collapse. Apple is busy pushing the envelope of economic hubris itself - LUXURY!

If they went through so much trouble to make it THIN, how come they didn't make it COMPACT? Thin and light are nice, but that thing is a big ole' honkin' square! The first thing I saw when I looked at it was that excessive border area around the display.

I love microphones. Thems some ugly mics.

Until they make one that will fit in my suede fannypack, the Air is not leaving the condo with me, junior, and our matching neon green Crocs.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:44 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:The trouble with the Air is that it really reinforces the excessively expensive/elitist side of Apple. It's a nice product for .01% of the population, and it's terrible PR for the rest. We're on the brink of economic collapse. Apple is busy pushing the envelope of economic hubris itself - LUXURY!

If they went through so much trouble to make it THIN, how come they didn't make it COMPACT? Thin and light are nice, but that thing is a big ole' honkin' square! The first thing I saw when I looked at it was that excessive border area around the display.

I love microphones. Thems some ugly mics.

Until they make one that will fit in my suede fannypack, the Air is not leaving the condo with me, junior, and our matching neon green Crocs.
:D

Seriously, the technology is there. I was really hoping to see a mac embossed tablet/screen that is 100% touch screen; no keyboard. That to me would have been a Macbook Air. Asking a lot? Sure, but again, the technology is ready to go... I really thought this would have been a huge MacWorld annoucement. Apparently, it still is to a degree; I think it still made the front page in many daily papers today. I know it did in the technology hub of the midwest, Cleveland (!)

This just seems to be another filler product until they really start pushing those touch screeen patents...

lesterdiamond

Post by lesterdiamond » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:11 pm

does it come with a fancy haircut?

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:05 pm

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:33 pm

The problem is that there's no Ethernet, 1 USB port, and no optical drive.

I'm sure Apple is thinking that Bluetooth & 802.11 handle everything.

I think it's a mistake that won't work out, but I don't think it's an insult to poor people.

Still not nearly as bad as this piece:

GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:56 pm

The second or third revision of this in a year or two when the SSDs are so cheap they're being given away in cereal boxes is going to be hot.

This is a solid, but not exceptional, debut I think...

Most of the people here (myself included) aren't really in the target market.

But, man. If I had the money and had a DJ setup that let me get away with only needing the one USB port (which isn't that uncommon. Traktor + USB audio interface, and using a mixer rather than a MIDI controller to rock out)... I'd be tempted. I probably wouldn't go for it, but I'd be tempted.

I don't see me missing the 400-600 Mhz compared to my Macbook. And since I wouldn't intend to be doing heavy-lifting audio shit with Live + Logic + Reaktor all going at once, 2 GB of RAM is fine... Pity that my DJ setup depends on more USB ports than it allows.

For me, and for now, my current laptop is just right.

I think we're looking at bits of the future here, though.

I can't remember the last time I used the optical drive for anything at all (music ripping, et al. all happens on another machine), and it does netboot so you can even use the install DVDs and stuff without having to shell out for a USB optical drive. If anything, the optical drive complaints remind me of when Apple stopped including a floppy drive. It's the exact same complaint.

I don't understand the battery complaint either, though. They make USB batteries for laptops, and how often have most people removed their battery to do more than install RAM or something? Replacement batteries are the same price as a new MBP battery and they don't charge for installation.

The thing trades portability for EVERYTHING else. That makes it unsuitable for a lot usage models, but come on. It's not like Apple just walked into your home and took a big dump in your bed (which some of the vitriol I'm seeing seems to imply).

Try this: If you don't want one, don't buy it.

Oh. Last thing: The true insanity is that the $30 ethernet adapter is NOT gigabit. There are two reasons you use a wired connection. 1) It's all your crappy hotel supports. 2) Gigabit ethernet is the speedy.

ground_control

Post by ground_control » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:21 pm

It's amazing to me how offended people get when apple (or ableton for that matter) makes something that they don't want to buy.

It's like saying "goddammit why won't anybody let me buy more stuff?"

J

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:45 am

Did anyone saw the second part of the keynote?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xcjLEwZqcQI

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:05 am

I don't think the MacBook Air has speakers. . .
MBP M1Max | Sonoma 14.5 | Live 12.0.1 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3T | A clump of controllers
Soundcloud
Ableton Certified Trainer