Macbook Air

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
j2j

Post by j2j » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:18 am

adventurepants_ wrote:this at least is aiming towards apple's largest growing demographic.

metrosexual shemales updating their facebook at the airport over wireless. and "it fits in my manbag like its not there dude!"

Fucking Hilarious.. So true, and Fucking hilarious

:D :D :D
too many lasers...

D K

Post by D K » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:58 am

the only thing i can think of that this mac hot air might be useful for would be vj work, if you had the model with the solid state drive....
no problems with shared ram needs,
all video ready to go, no external drives needed...
a a single usb port for midi/control....
just a thought

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:02 am

Pitch Black wrote:I don't think the MacBook Air has speakers. . .
yeah, no speakers.

they really cut some serious things out of this macbook. they could have waited a year, this is completely rushed.

no firewire, no ethernet, no optical drive (i could live with that), no speakers, and no replaceable battery (apple will replace it after 2 years for free) .

its too much to ask 1800 for half a laptop. i mean its one sexy piece of machinery but no way would i be tempted to get it lacking all those things.

give me speakers, ethernet, and firewire and i'll buy it just for work.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:17 am

Another gripe, it fucked my Apple stock big time. Nobody is thinking these are that great. Especially compared to the iPhone last year.
Another indicator that Apple isn't going to put out a multi touch screen laptop as well. As if this thing weren't a prime candidate...

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:08 pm

j2j wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote:this at least is aiming towards apple's largest growing demographic.

metrosexual shemales updating their facebook at the airport over wireless. and "it fits in my manbag like its not there dude!"
Except it's not really true and it's not really hilarious, is it?

You know who's buying Macs like they were never being Macs before? Women. Not 'shemales', women.

Also, what the fuck is this manbag thing that mericans seem so obsessed with? In the civilised world we don't all drive everywhere (mostly cos we can sit on a bus for six minutes without filing a lawsuit). So I carry my stuff in a bag instead of a car. That says something about my sexuality? Here's a penny, get yourself a better culture, you useless colonial.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:11 pm

Digi V wrote:
Pitch Black wrote:I don't think the MacBook Air has speakers. . .
yeah, no speakers.
I heard it has one speaker, like my grand parents' radio?

Edit - It does. Mono speaker!

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?

tricil

Post by tricil » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:18 pm

the way i see it, is that this is a harbringer of things to come.

All portable macs will soon have the same trackpad (hopefully, i'll be rich when the next macbook pro revision comes out with this)

An in the future, all laptops will (unfortunately) be this skinny. now Apple can say they did it first.

As with the iPhone, I wouldn't put it past them to have a price drop on it too... After the dust settles.

My gripe is that I recently bought an AirPort Extreme for possible Time Machine backups (even thought that functionally is broken... i see why now!) only to see Time Capsule come out and be exactly what I needed... 3 months ago
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:55 pm

noisetonepause wrote:
j2j wrote:

Except it's not really true and it's not really hilarious, is it?

You know who's buying Macs like they were never being Macs before? Women. Not 'shemales', women.

Also, what the fuck is this manbag thing that mericans seem so obsessed with? In the civilised world we don't all drive everywhere (mostly cos we can sit on a bus for six minutes without filing a lawsuit). So I carry my stuff in a bag instead of a car. That says something about my sexuality? Here's a penny, get yourself a better culture, you useless colonial.
Paws unleashes his claws :o

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:21 pm

My take is that we have a snapshot of the future in front of us.

1) Who needs a DC eater like a DVD when traveling (And you have to peel it away when on a flight)?
2) DVDs are unreliable as a storage safe box, because most data is bigger than 4.5 GB anyway and you can't snapshot your OS on such a device, you need an hard drive
3) Yes I think they rushed this out and the woman acceptance factor rulez
4) Although a 4200 RPM HDD won't make any serious Live user Happy, it's more than enough for standard Office work
5) Solidstate.... I don't know how they could perform...
6) Who needs ethernet when WI-Fi is almost everywhere and with new standards even faster?
7) Floppy died, DVD is due, Hdd in the mid future...who is next?

- My 2 cents
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:38 pm

Pasha wrote:) Who needs ethernet when WI-Fi is almost everywhere and with new standards even faster?
WiFi isn't everywhere here, and it's inherently insecure. Not interested.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:56 pm

I dont understand why you serious Mac users get upset. It is all for your benefit. Apple did they homework, aiming certain products at particular market - the"fashion" people- peculiar sort of females ( I wouldn't say all, not even most women) and gays ( in this case probably majority, here in Germany white Macbook is THE computer of fashion conscious gays). People who are not necessary most wealthy but always ready to spend on what they don't really need but what they hope makes them look good(or better).
Customers who are not particularly concerned about technical quality (read expensive components) but the "social" value. Apple makes more profits on Ipods, iPhone whatever i.... then top speced MBP.

A top manager from German, world leading sport goods company told me that they practically make not profits on their top of the line football shoes and similar pro sport products. I asked "where is the money then?" he said the tennis balls that we buy in bulk from D....,and just print our logos on, stupid nylon bags with our logo that cost 1 $ and retail for 50.
Similarly like in sports Apple needs high performance users satisfied to keep that design, music, video high end image (and not just empty image) real because it adds to the sells to silly users.
Nobody gets hurt, dont worry but rejoice, all them Sarah Jessica Parkers and Elton Johns are making your next MBP or Mac Pro and Logic cheaper.

4ace

Post by 4ace » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:36 pm

ground_control wrote:It's amazing to me how offended people get when apple (or ableton for that matter) makes something that they don't want to buy.

It's like saying "goddammit why won't anybody let me buy more stuff?"

J

HAHAHA!
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:41 pm

noisetonepause wrote: WiFi isn't everywhere here, and it's inherently insecure. Not interested.
Inherently insecure? Really?

It's about as inherently insecure as the doors to your home. It's up to you lock them (or in the case of wifi use WPA or better), but just because some people choose not to lock their doors doesn't make it inherently insecure....

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:41 pm

Double post caused by wifi drop out.

Ell oh ell.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:02 pm

sparkletone wrote:
noisetonepause wrote: WiFi isn't everywhere here, and it's inherently insecure. Not interested.
Inherently insecure? Really?

It's about as inherently insecure as the doors to your home. It's up to you lock them (or in the case of wifi use WPA or better), but just because some people choose not to lock their doors doesn't make it inherently insecure....
OK, inherently less secure. By several orders of magnitude. WPA encryption isn't as easily crackable as WEP (which is like wearing a wooly hat instead of a helmet when you ride your motorbike), but it can be done. You can't crack a wired network. Nobody is getting access to my TOP SECRETE IMPORTANTE FILEZ~1 without breaking in here.

(except for when I turn on Internet sharing on my Mac to let she who must be obeyed do whatever it is she does with her 'Facebook' from her own computer, of course)