Ableton Booth at NAMM 08 - Disappointing Results

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:52 pm

also, at non-public conventions people are really focused on the brand name on the badge, who you represent and all that. if I make speakers and you make capos, I probably don't care about your presence in the booth, you're a tourist.

that's how I understand it.

dcease

Post by dcease » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:31 am

so then, what is the point? these people are showing off to who? why are they showing products, if not for sale, and i understand that it is not a retail event, then what is the purpose? and just because you make monitor stands, why would the digidesign guy be cold to you? he does not know if you have money or not, maybe you have been considering an icon, and three hdaccel3 cards. this is retarted. if you represent a company, any one who shows interest in your product is a potential customer. so what is the point of showing stuff, if not for future sale? all the magazines cover these things, right? what would be the point of holding seminars?

maybe my analogy wasn't proper. i just can't see why a company would go out of their way to set stuff up, demonstrate, and field questions, with no financial motive. at iec conventions, for electricians, all the manufactures are basically peddling their wares. sure nothing is for sale THEN, but it is when ordering 100's of 1000's of supplies a month. and if someone is a dick to the wrong person, it can make a difference. so if your job to create excitement in your product, you are selling it, just no money then. so it does not pay to be a dick. and if a company has people in their booth who do not know a product, or are not actively "selling" it, it makes that company look unprofessional, which i would imagine makes a big difference in these situations, as you said, it's about the badges. so integrity is everything in these situations.

Mr_You

Post by Mr_You » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:45 am

*deleted*
Last edited by Mr_You on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:52 am

dcease wrote:at iec conventions, for electricians, all the manufactures are basically peddling their wares. sure nothing is for sale THEN, but it is when ordering 100's of 1000's of supplies a month. and if someone is a dick to the wrong person, it can make a difference. so if your job to create excitement in your product, you are selling it, just no money then. so it does not pay to be a dick. and if a company has people in their booth who do not know a product, or are not actively "selling" it, it makes that company look unprofessional, which i would imagine makes a big difference in these situations, as you said, it's about the badges. so integrity is everything in these situations.
a brother of the electons! I'm an EE, high five, secret handshake. ;)

the main convention I go to is http://www.ESC.com, so it's focused around microcontrollers and stuff like that. nobody's a dick at these conventions, of course. some people I've talked to at booths blow me away with tech knowledge, at others I know more about their stuff than they do because the guy's new to the company (seriously and this was the main worldwide producer of HDMI embedder/disembedder chips, should be a wicked strong stock.)

anyway, the point is for companies to make connections between each other, see what's out there and help each other out. we've both seen the same kinds of shows, are we splitting hairs?

I think you're also overstating Neb's traumatic experience at the booth, it's not like they chased him away with racial slurs.

but ESC has by far better booth babes, holy F--k! NAMM looks like a sausage fest. that also tells you that it's more business and not sales.

I think Neb needs some time with Mickey Mouse to cheer him up, get him some mouse ears and the little buckaroo will cheer right up.

j2j

Re: Ableton Booth at NAMM 08 - Disappointing Results

Post by j2j » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:00 am

headquest wrote: Not this time. Computer Music described Live 7 as "more like Live 6.5", while Future Music also complained that there isn't more going on in this upgrade. And those two mags have previously been Live's biggest promoters.

I think that on the PR front Ableton have some serious ass-kissing to do, for sure, and this thread doesn't fill me with confidence that they have the right personnel in the right positions, at least on the USA front.

Not welcoming??!! Poor show indeed. :(
I have to agree, if the Ableton Reps at NAMM, did not, smile, handshake, and be friendly, that fucking sucks. Even when you go to a Mcdonalds you get a smile, from the most miserable fucks on earth. Standing behind a french fry cooker, with a smile, and a coca cola.

Meanwhile, 2007 IMHO, across the board, was just a boring year for music tech. Look at where we are at now. Reallly, music software companies are not Microsoft. They don't have some endless pile of cash to develop NASA music software. things move slowly, they get developed when they get developed.

Meanwhile, Compumusic, and Future Music, are in the bizz of selling magazines, and I have totally said this every time you bring this up. Nothing gets a magazine off the shelf faster than....

" Live 7, not what it should be " or " Korg, a once great synth company, now sucks fat dick "

Face it, media is all about negativity, watch your local news.

Murder, Murder, Rape, Robbery, Rape, Murder, Rape...

don't you have a tv?

I bet dollars to donuts, the headline..

" Abe 7, is great " does not sell as many future music magazines, as

" Ableton Live, is the innovation dead? "
too many lasers...

dcease

Post by dcease » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:18 am

actually, i like to argue, so when people start arguing, i like to jump in :lol: and the more "emotional", the more fun it is! so all this flaming, and talks of blocking got me all hot and bothered :D 8O debate is fun. this forum is fun. it's all cliquey, and adolescent, i just speak my mind. i don't have time to be someone else, i like being me. and i don't care if there are "fakers" here, as far as i am concerned, you are all my imaginary friends :lol:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:22 am

dcease wrote:actually, i like to argue, so when people start arguing, i like to jump in :lol: and the more "emotional", the more fun it is! so all this flaming, and talks of blocking got me all hot and bothered :D 8O debate is fun. this forum is fun. it's all cliquey, and adolescent, i just speak my mind. i don't have time to be someone else, i like being me. and i don't care if there are "fakers" here, as far as i am concerned, you are all my imaginary friends :lol:
fuck you.

;)

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:32 am

I've been trying to blow up the south saying it's a new day down there and people aren't what the rest of the world may think

then Mr_You comes on with some his homophobic talk about people and maybe I'm wrong about the south - people's down there are still back ass wards :roll:
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Mr_You

Post by Mr_You » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:37 am

*deleted*
Last edited by Mr_You on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:43 am

not only are people from North Carolina homophobic, but quite colloquial?

Douchbag? that's hot...did you make that one up yourself or get that from some other potty mouth on the boards :?:
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Mr_You

Post by Mr_You » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:46 am

*deleted*
Last edited by Mr_You on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:53 am

being from the south, plus I travel down there quite often - I had meet some pretty forward thinking people down 'thurr'.

So when I mention the south people are like "that place is so backwards etc etc (not for me) " and I'm like, "nah, it's chill. You got to have an open mind about it. it's not 1958 anymore."

it's just depressing there's people like you still down south - it's an awesome place and I know you're probably the exception (not the rule)

but it's still sad

good luck with all that...
Last edited by djadonis206 on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Mr_You

Post by Mr_You » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:55 am

*deleted*
Last edited by Mr_You on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:09 am

Hey Neb,
These shows are incredibly hard work for us -- Lots of us came here from Berlin, and are working 12 hours days at the moment -- I've barely had a chance to go to the booth at all. You also have to keep in mind that not everyone at Ableton reads the forums and knows the usual suspects ;) Huston and Laura, for instance, are extremely busy with music outside of their jobs at ableton.

That said, I was looking forward to meeting you. I have 15 minutes break tomorrow and will be there at 10:45 -- come by and introduce yourself if you are still here.
Jesse

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:17 am

my 2p-- steinberg were clamouring for your attention at a big trade show and ableton weren't? try getting steinberg's attention when you actually want it.
the ableton team are never far away on this forum, and chime in when they can.

thread!