Buggered Vista.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
spudmonster1976

Buggered Vista.

Post by spudmonster1976 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:57 am

I scrolled through many threads, tutorials, etc. Does anyone recall any discussion about how to best manage the Vista demons? I've upgraded to a laptop with only Vista (no funds to revert to XP)

I'd like to find step-by-step walkthroughs on how to reduce cpu use and any other tips on broader subjects like that. I am a noob to the whole thing so anything at all might help me.

Help!

Thanks all.
Live 6.0.10, Gateway Intel Centrino Duo, Vista, 2gb Ram, Line 6 Toneport UX2

MonaShaker

Post by MonaShaker » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:37 am

hey, change colour scheme to windows basic and get rid of the box on the left hand side of the desktop that features news headlines and stuff - not sure of its name. there is other things to do also, but i too am searching for these. If that doesnt work scream as load as possible and the vista genie should appear - he'll talk you through the rest.
bish bash boom

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:34 am

MonaShaker wrote:hey, change colour scheme to windows basic
actually at the moment definitely DONT do that - there is a problem either with Live 7 or Vista in Vista basic mode - it makes a DRAMATIC difference to CPU usage

Service Pack 1 is now available from microsoft as a download although it is still a release candidate, but in my experience it is worth it

+1 on turn off sidebar

if you can manage to get more ram I would - I couldnt and I've gone back to XP and notice much better perfromance - but some people with more ram I think have less trouble

optimistic

Post by optimistic » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:09 am

I had some decent dramas with Vista as well but have just managed to tame the beast (well, for now anyway).

This is what I did:
1. Switched Vista to Aero mode
2. Got the very latest driver for my graphics board
3. Disabled multicore support in the CPU pane of the preferences

Been going for about a week now with no significant CPU spikes...still got the fingers crossed.

Good luck - I know how frustrating this can be and was within hours of cleaning everything and installing XP.

forge

Post by forge » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:57 pm

optimistic wrote: 3. Disabled multicore support in the CPU pane of the preferences
8O 8O 8O :!: :!: :!:

so you cant use more than one core with Live?? shit that;s a big deal

I havent had that issue I dont think

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:39 pm

www.musicxp.net is designed for winXP, but some features apply to vista. I cleared 60 megs of ram using those tips. Didn't know about that multiprocessor usage thing... it doesn't make sense to me but I will try it!

optimistic

Post by optimistic » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:20 pm

Re: Disabling multicore support

Actually I checked up on this last night - They were the suggestions that Ableton tech support gave me and I did them all at the same time without bothering to isolate each step (lazy, yeh I know but just wanted it to run for a few days so I could actually make some music, not fiddle with computers!).

Anyways, I switched it back on and it would seem that it was actually the graphics driver that did the trick and I'm happily back in multicore land with no issues.

spudmonster1976

Post by spudmonster1976 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:34 am

welllll....

now I'm even more screwed up because doing the xp tweaks have left Live in a dire state! I guess I'll keep scouring the internet and experimenting...

thanks (and keep me in mind if you come across any lifeline advice for Vista)

damn vista.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:49 am

spudmonster1976 wrote:welllll....

now I'm even more screwed up because doing the xp tweaks have left Live in a dire state! I guess I'll keep scouring the internet and experimenting...

thanks (and keep me in mind if you come across any lifeline advice for Vista)

damn vista.
there are vista versions of that site - google vista + tweaks

spudmonster1976

Post by spudmonster1976 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:28 am

holy shite forge...you're running 1gb ram and vista with live?? I definitely need to take your advice man. you're some kind of legend in my opinion.

searching now (after I install this SP1)

forge

Post by forge » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:49 am

spudmonster1976 wrote:holy shite forge...you're running 1gb ram and vista with live?? I definitely need to take your advice man. you're some kind of legend in my opinion.

searching now (after I install this SP1)
actually Im mainly using XP again now - mainly for that reason, and because I can't afford more Ram - but I would definitely advise more than 1GB for Vista

it isn't the end of the world if you can't, but it def. means you wont get the most out of it

forge

Post by forge » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:55 am

also - be aware that SP1 is still beta - so it's not 'guaranteed' - but is is a release candidate so I dont think it will be too far off

In the short time I used it I felt there was an improvement, but like I said, I've gone back to XP for now so I havent been able to really go too in depth with it

there is a guy who posts on here DJ-Grobe or something like that who was advocating SP1 a lot so maybe search some of his posts

but in any case, you can uninstall it so it's not a huge drama if you find it to not run ideally

spudmonster1976

Post by spudmonster1976 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:32 am

yea thanks. lets hope it works like dj grobe is preaching...

feels like i'm digging a hole and jumping in it, then digging some more. if I come out in china maybe I can make some music for god's sake.

jesus, $1100 for a new laptop and this is the thanks I get. Somebody kick bill gates in the balls for me?

adios.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:09 am

spudmonster1976 wrote: jesus, $1100 for a new laptop and this is the thanks I get. Somebody kick bill gates in the balls for me?
yep that's what happened to me - had no idea what a hassle it would be to downgrade

I know the system now for dual booting with XP (and I had a couple of XP licenses) bu when I first got it it was a nightmare