comfortable arrangement recording in several steps

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
katha

comfortable arrangement recording in several steps

Post by katha » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:48 pm

hi folks!

first of all, live 4 really rocks!! :)

but then i have problem, which i head with previous verions already: how to comfortably record an arrangement in more than one step?

what i do is this:
i prepare my song in the session view until i think it is 'ripe' for arranging. then i press global record and start jamming. after one or two minutes i stop to start thinking about the second part of the song. but now, what can i do to make all the clips continue playing when i record the next part?

i always thought there must be a way, where you kind of go back several bars, press play and record and then when you pass the moment where you stopped last time, the clips that were playing until here, will just continue playing (and be recorded!).
but no, i just can't work it out! they all stop when i reach the point where i stopped them and i don't know how to just continue from where i stopped.

it is quite a different piece of software, but native instruments' traktor studio for example has this feature, where you record a mix, stop it wherever you want and go on recording just by overdubbing what you've done since. and you will not be able to tell that it hasn't been recorded in one shot.

even if manually editing an arrangement, i find it very annoying to have to extend each arrangement clip manually, if i want it to continue.

well, enough words been said, i think you know what i mean. can anybody help me?

cheers, katha
Ableton Live 4, Acer Travelmate 800 Notebook, Centrino 1,4 GHz Prozessor, 512 MB Ram, Doepfer Pocket Dial Midi Controller, stripped down WinXP, Terratec Producer Phase 26 USB, fast (7200 rpm) internal hard drive (Hitachi).

toneroll

Post by toneroll » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:36 pm

as long as you havent got any clips in the arrangment view your sesh clips will be able to play... you'll have to put the play arrow after clips in the arrangment view then hit global record ,improv your next part then "sew" em together maybe with a bit of good old copy pastin and fadin blah blah another option is to jam the first peice say the intro .. then flip to arrangment veiw and record parts into there .. then maybe copy the first peice to after this and so on

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:51 pm

hi,

thanks for your reply. i was already afraid nobody might have an idea to this. i think i know what you mean. you don't directly try to continue the first bit but you start a next bit of recording just after the first one. but then, from the first to the scond recorded bit, wouldn't you have 'jumps' in many parameters, as you may have played around the whole track a little to figure out how the next bit should sound, so many controller positions may have changed?

but what do you mean by
as long as you havent got any clips in the arrangment view your sesh clips will be able to play...
of course there will be clips in the arrangement after my first bit of recording! this is why i record, to have an arrangement of the song :)

thanks, katha

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:00 am

he means place the marker after all the clips of your first improv, that way after the marker there will be no clips in the arrangement, then you'll be able to continue recording, and as far as the space between the two arrangements you've recorded use the 'cut time feature'

-mic-minimal