KEEPING IT SIMPLE

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DJ-WILDSTYLE

KEEPING IT SIMPLE

Post by DJ-WILDSTYLE » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:31 am

Last edited by DJ-WILDSTYLE on Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:09 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:50 am

naaaaaa. It may be simple but migrokontrol is far from being the best. it
cheap shit. and your screen has a bad resolution i cannot read anything.
AND PLEASE STOP CRYING

mille gracias

engineer

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:50 am

WILD! you're back! i dig the MPC1000.

paradiddle

Post by paradiddle » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:47 am

damn, the pads are small on the microkontrol. I wouldn't jam on this when yer piss drunk :lol:

Nice little set-up.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:41 am

someones a neatfreak.

at my highest points of productivity - on my desk could be found...
pizza, beer, chinese restaurant menu, books, bills, and a cat or two.

djshiva

Post by djshiva » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:53 am

man, my desk has ashtrays, flyers, stickers, cds, pens, a uc 16 controller and other random detritus floating around at various intervals...
http://www.soundcloud.com/djshiva
http://www.facebook.com/djshivamusic
http://sapphicbeats.blogspot.com

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo / OSX / 2Gb RAM / Ableton Live 8 / Akai LPD8/LPK25

painseeker

speaking of simple...

Post by painseeker » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:39 am

Wintendo / Live 4 / Audiophile2496 / Edirol PCR-30 and a shitload of samples

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:45 am

back in the old days i once did EVERYTHING on an Ensoniq ASR X Pro and a pair of headphones. that was all my gear. all i had to worry about was "this is what this machine can do" and just making it happen. it was the most minimal setup i've ever had and i gotta say i don't think i was ever happier with my music. that old line that limitations spawn creativity and all that is so true. all the gear, plugins, and synths in the world can't bring back the feeling of being satisfied with your work. less is definitely more in my opinion.

Re: speaking of simple...

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:37 am

painseeker wrote:Image

Painseeker. You couldnt have your speakers in a worst position to be honest. Ask any sound engineer about where your speakers are and they will look at you witha blank stare. Speakers setup in a corner of the wall like yours will be throwing out all sorts of weird low end and mid freqencies. Maybe your getting good results.?
but I think you should perhaps try moving your speakers away from teh corner....and if your room is a box its even worse.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:39 am

Painseeker. You couldnt have your speakers in a worst position to be honest. Ask any sound engineer about where your speakers are and they will look at you witha blank stare. Speakers setup in a corner of the wall like yours will be throwing out all sorts of weird low end and mid freqencies. Maybe your getting good results.?
but I think you should perhaps try moving your speakers away from teh corner....and if your room is a box its even worse.

Moonburnt

Post by Moonburnt » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:16 pm

Anonymous wrote:

Hi guest, I've been considering rearranging my setup in roughly that kind of configuration, ie. a round-the-corner desk unit, with computer across the corner, speakers positioned like in that pic, and outboard stuff on the left and right wings of the desk.

From the point of view of making the most of available space and having all my gear against a wall, it seemed like a good idea. I thought it might reduce standing waves due not facing directly towards the opposing wall, but I hadn't given much thought to low end weirdness.

What i'm wondering is - is it just the proximity to the back walls as in painseeker's pic that you're advising against, or is the whole corner setup idea a no-no? Can you elaborate at all? cheers

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:07 pm

cool :)

prinzali

Post by prinzali » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:39 pm

Moonburnt wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Hi guest, I've been considering rearranging my setup in roughly that kind of configuration, ie. a round-the-corner desk unit, with computer across the corner, speakers positioned like in that pic, and outboard stuff on the left and right wings of the desk.

From the point of view of making the most of available space and having all my gear against a wall, it seemed like a good idea. I thought it might reduce standing waves due not facing directly towards the opposing wall, but I hadn't given much thought to low end weirdness.

What i'm wondering is - is it just the proximity to the back walls as in painseeker's pic that you're advising against, or is the whole corner setup idea a no-no? Can you elaborate at all? cheers
Hey

A setup with your speakers centred on a wall instead of in a corner, and if it’s a small room then having some sound absorbing material behind you would be great.
It seams that everyone who uses live is into electronic music, and not pure sounding classical music. And it really took me a long time to learn to listen to the little things in a sound recording. Little things being small mistakes and so on. The general crowd would know the difference anyway. If you’re a super pro you probably have a pro studio, if your setup is bedroom style then I wouldn’t stress about it. Even if you set your speakers just right you won’t get pro sound in a bed room.

Recards
-André
Korg Electribe-a, Korg Electribe-r, Roland JV-1010, Roland MC-303, BOSS SP-303, Yamaha PSR-38, Oxygen8, live4, VSTI's, 2 x Technics SL-1200MK2, Behringer DJX700, Naked women on slipmats.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:21 pm

What would be the bed-room setup closest to pro quality?
I know it's a lame question to ask, but i dont doubt 90% of us are bed-room musicians.
Opinions will differ for everyone because we do not all make the same kind of music and for different purpose's.
But if we could gather enough diverse info on how set-ups are best set up, maybe we could figure out an average to give a view on what you basicly need to make music as well as perform.

In another thread i asked if there was any difference in mastering for a release or mastering for a live performance.
The replies i got was:
- Not use as much compression in a live gig because most clubs already have a compressor to protect their installation.
- And that mastering is mastering.

That last answer leads me to a couple of other questions.
Can u use Live 4 only to do a master that would be as good as from an engineer who spent a fortune on gear an education?
I think not.
Is there a solution to this? Or do you just need the "i dont give a fuck" atitude?
And figure that everyone around here has different experiences on this mather. Maybe we should colaborate more with eachother. Different people mean different masterings.
I could go on for hours about this aspect of musical creations.
And i know there are alot of website's explaining all this stuff.
But Live 4 is a new way of making music. Every way has it's rules, and none are set yet for Live

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:45 pm

personally i always leave mastering to someone who knows what they are doing. i never bother even trying.