snapper vs. audiofinder?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Winston

snapper vs. audiofinder?

Post by Winston » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:00 pm

Anyone do any detailed research into the pros/cons?

They're about the same price, snapper a little more actually.

Snapper certainly looks very convenient, but does audio finder now do a similar thing where it pops up under your finder window? I thought I read that somewhere.

Anyways, I 'd like to grab a quick little audio file app like this and snapper seemed perfect. But if audiofinder does the same and more, well I should consider that. So opinions welcome.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:00 pm

I like many others thought that these two apps were comparable but now that I have been demoing Snapper I have found that they really shouldn't be compared.

Really the only thing that Snapper does that AF doesn't is to implement the Finder searching in a more elegant and transparent way. Other than that AF has a lot more features.

Snapper has also been running a little buggy but the Audioease guys know about many of these issues and are working on them. They will also be adding more features like higher quality mp3 export.

Right now I've got them both living side by side. Snapper is really impressive for it's transparency; if you don't have an audio file selected then it's out of sight.

But for really organizing and searching through large masses of audio AF is still the best.

And yes AF does do the Finder searching thing that Snapper does, just not quite as elegantly, but it does do it.
Unsound Designer

Winston

Post by Winston » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:04 pm

stringtapper wrote: And yes AF does do the Finder searching thing that Snapper does, just not quite as elegantly, but it does do it.
So you can have AF set up so that when you select an audio file in the finder, a little box pops up beneath it, allowing you to quickly create a new audio file from a section of the selected one?

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:05 pm

I don't have audiofinder but Snapper has a 100 day full feature demo. That should give you enough time to find out what you like and don't like about it.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:12 pm

Winston wrote:
stringtapper wrote: And yes AF does do the Finder searching thing that Snapper does, just not quite as elegantly, but it does do it.
So you can have AF set up so that when you select an audio file in the finder, a little box pops up beneath it, allowing you to quickly create a new audio file from a section of the selected one?
Not exactly. I believe the icedaudio guy had some trouble getting the "magnetic" window to work like he wanted (he had it working to a degree in one of the betas).

You can free the floating waveform inspector and then choose the "Finder Selection" option and then any audio file you select can be played in the floating window.

Like beats me said you should try the Snapper demo.

I own Audio finder but I will probably buy Snapper because it does the floating window thing better. But it doesn't replace AF IMO.
Unsound Designer

Winston

Post by Winston » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:27 pm

Thanks guys, ya I did download the snapper demo, and it does do what I'd like, but it's more the audio finder functionality in comparison I was curious about, because I demo'd that a while back and didn't think I'd get to again.

To me it sounds like AF does everything snapper does, except for stick to the finder window. But does that really matter?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:52 pm

That's up to you. It IS a really cool feature that works really well when you just want to quickly find something in the Finder.

But AF doesn't just do everything Snapper does, it does a lot more. That's why I don't think they're really comparable.

Snapper just fills a niche that can be really helpful which is why I'll probably be running both as soon as they work the kinks out of Snapper.
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:07 pm

What's the lots more that AF does?

old school user

Post by old school user » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:11 pm

beats me wrote:What's the lots more that AF does?
http://www.icedaudio.com

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:22 pm

The biggest thing is that it can scan your drives for audio and then you can save those lists so you can browse them without non-audio files getting in the way.

All kinds of processing options as well. You can preview sounds with audio units applied. Hear a file at different transpositions. Etc...

Then there are some things that Audioease will be implementing in the future but for now only AF has like looping (that's right Snapper doesn't loop!) and REX support.

Oh, and in version 4.7 he's added a two-tack editor that works pretty well for what it is.
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:40 pm

old school user wrote:
Alrighty, then a better question after reading all that, why get snapper? Just because it does a nice drop down view when you click on an audio file? Also with AF can you choose a portion of an audio file and drag that directly to live?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:53 pm

beats me wrote:
old school user wrote:
Alrighty, then a better question after reading all that, why get snapper? Just because it does a nice drop down view when you click on an audio file? Also with AF can you choose a portion of an audio file and drag that directly to live?
You can. He implemented that after the first Snapper (then Soundabout) videos came out.

And yes, that would basically be the only reason to get Snapper.
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:57 pm

Hm, somebody on here posted last week that you can't drag from Sanpper to Live directly. Did that change in the last week? I haven't tried.

Winston

Post by Winston » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:58 pm

Sorta strange that snapper is more expensive then. :?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:07 pm

beats me wrote:Hm, somebody on here posted last week that you can't drag from Sanpper to Live directly. Did that change in the last week? I haven't tried.
Hmm, you're right Snapper can't even spot drag directly into Live.

Snapper can send a selection to the playhead Pro Tools right now and Audioease says they will be adding more DAWs to list in the future (i.e. Live, Logic, etc.).

But that's a separate feature from actually dragging out a selection. You can drag to the finder and create a new file in Snapper

AudioFinder will drag to a DAW as well as the Finder. But it can't instantly spot the selection to a DAW like Snapper does (only for Pro Tools that is).
Unsound Designer