snapper vs. audiofinder?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:13 pm

I think being able to drag and drop into a DAW is more useful than it automatically placing it in the DAW for you. That way you can place it where ever you want in the track.

So just to clarify, in AF you can edit down a selection and then just drag that snippet directly into Live?

Winston

Post by Winston » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:19 pm

stringtapper wrote: AudioFinder will drag to a DAW as well as the Finder. But it can't instantly spot the selection to a DAW like Snapper does (only for Pro Tools that is).
I see the benefit of dragging a selection directly to finder or to a DAW to create a new file, but I don't see how snapper's way of instantly spotting to a DAW is any more beneficial. Seems like dragging would do that anyways.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:24 pm

Yes, you can either make a selection from the floating window (which has no editing capabilities) and drag it to Live or you can edit a file in AFs editor and then drag either the whole waveform or a portion of it into Live.
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:29 pm

Winston wrote:
stringtapper wrote: AudioFinder will drag to a DAW as well as the Finder. But it can't instantly spot the selection to a DAW like Snapper does (only for Pro Tools that is).
I see the benefit of dragging a selection directly to finder or to a DAW to create a new file, but I don't see how snapper's way of instantly spotting to a DAW is any more beneficial. Seems like dragging would do that anyways.
Yeah sending a snippet to the playhead (oh and you can send to PTs audio bin) kind of adds a step. Dragging (at least the way it works in AF) lets you put the file exactly where you want it. Spotting it to the cursor means you already have to have the cursor where you want it, so you have a good point there.
Unsound Designer

subbasshead

Post by subbasshead » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:58 am

FWIW in post Snapper sending a sound to the ProTools timeline cursor is VERY valuable... ie park the PT timeline/vid on a sync location (eg sound effect cue) then find the sound, click, its in place ready for editing...

Snapper & AudioFinder are different tools

imho AudioFinder is better for seacrhing/accessing large librarys

Snapper is better for quick auditioning...

it depends a lot on how you have your library organised
& how you like to access it....

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:37 am

I have not tried the snapper demo.

I own an AudioFInder License, and it is the best software money I ever spent.

features I use often

batch power rename
batch sample rate conversion
I use it to keep my ableton library organized
I have 800 GB of recorded vinyl, i use AF to listen to old tracks, and cut samples out of and drag them right into live.
I use it to browse my rex files 20 GB worth
I have many different "scans" all, kicks, all snares, all hihats

every upgrade is free, forever

with each update, it comes close to a full fledged audio editor

evedry time I have a live session, AF is open I barely even use Live's browser
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

tricil

Post by tricil » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:52 am

QuickLook.
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:37 am

Another vote for AF being a crucial money-well-spent tool, very stable, full-featured. Tried the Snapper demo but uninstalled fairly quickly because of the bugginess>playing samples from the middle or very slowly, corrupting an mp3 import. Also the PT-centric features do nothing for me. Bugginess seems strange given how long after announcement the release came, maybe they were busy w/Speakerfone and just left Snapper on the shelf. Anyways, sure I'll come back for a look later. They both have free demos, off you go.

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:40 am

stringtapper wrote:
beats me wrote:Hm, somebody on here posted last week that you can't drag from Sanpper to Live directly. Did that change in the last week? I haven't tried.
Hmm, you're right Snapper can't even spot drag directly into Live.
It can. I have no problem here dragging a selection directly into Live. Make sure you've defined a 'export' folder in the preferences (which could be the 'samples->imported' folder of your current project for example).

atlantis

Post by atlantis » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:59 am

Not sure why the snapper is more cash as the other. It's all in the marketing I guess.
Thanks,
David Thompson

Starting a small business

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:23 am

dr.wackler wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
beats me wrote:Hm, somebody on here posted last week that you can't drag from Sanpper to Live directly. Did that change in the last week? I haven't tried.
Hmm, you're right Snapper can't even spot drag directly into Live.
It can. I have no problem here dragging a selection directly into Live. Make sure you've defined a 'export' folder in the preferences (which could be the 'samples->imported' folder of your current project for example).
Hmm, I've defined the export folder but Live is giving me the "No" sign. Logic isn't letting me drag in either. Weird.
Unsound Designer

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:28 am

in audio finder is it any file type that it will let you drag a portion of like mp3s, rex files whatever, or is it only wave and aiff files that will allow that?

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:41 pm

stringtapper wrote:Hmm, I've defined the export folder but Live is giving me the "No" sign. Logic isn't letting me drag in either. Weird.
:oops: You're right. I got this mixed up with some other drag&drop thing (read 'phatmatic pro') I was discussing recently. Sorry for the confusion.

Winston

Post by Winston » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:59 pm

Definitely an informative thread. I've been considering Audio Finder for a while, but snapper made me reconsider. I think I'll go ahead with AF. I've never seen any other program get as many updates as often as Audio Finder on KVR news, so that's cool.

I'm also thinking AF could be a godsend for my Ms.Pinky in organizing scratch samples.

timbreland

Post by timbreland » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:44 pm

i love audiofinder. i always browse in the finder for sounds and close the main audiofinder window. works great. right now i see no reason to switch to snapper. i will try the demo.