Go out and vote

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djadonis206

Go out and vote

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:22 pm

for whoever you think should be the next president!!!

someone close to me said to get all my friends to vote

I said, "I think only one of my friends can actually vote."

she said, "Not all your friends have felonies.!?"

I said, "I think they do :( "

anywayz - I'm going to caucus training this weekend so I'll know what's going on next Saturday here in Washington

I guess if you don't go to the caucus here in Washington you can't vote in the primary so...(edit thats not the case)

getting involved early and for real -

if you feel like it, you should to ;)
Last edited by djadonis206 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:51 pm

Can you not vote in the states with a criminal record?

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:56 pm

Dr. Ron Paul be the man!

pixelbox

Post by pixelbox » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:57 pm

jeskola wrote:Can you not vote in the states with a criminal record?
It's true. It varies from state to state, but many states hold that with a felony conviction on your criminal record, you cannot vote.

Personally, I disagree with this law.
Before speaking, learn telling. And to tear magic from science is very dumb pupil-like.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:58 pm

Yes

from the http://www.aclu.org/votingrights/exoffenders/index.html

web page

Millions of Americans are barred from the polls because of a felony conviction. Voting is a fundamental right and a cornerstone of our democracy, yet millions of Americans have had their right to vote revoked for periods ranging from the time spent incarcerated to a lifetime. In 11 states, you can lose your right to vote for life. The ACLU is fighting to restore the voting rights of formerly incarcerated people, so that they, like all Americans, will be heard.

you can actually petition in WA to restore your right to vote -
Ableton | Elektron

Music

chrysalis33rpm

Re: Go out and vote

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:58 pm

djadonis206 wrote:
I said, "I think only one of my friends can actually vote."
"
shit man, that's pretty heavy.

talk about disenfranchising a population.

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:21 pm

But i guess if you are a convicted drug trafficker you can still be an executive of the company the runs the electronic voting machines in New Hampshire.... http://infowars.net/articles/january2008/100108LHS.htm So if your a felon and cant vote just get a job at this place and rig the vote!
:lol:

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:35 pm

I usually only vote in the finals. I want to vote in the primaries for the first time now. However, knowing how to do it is another issue. This caucus thing has me confused. I read on the internet that Pennsylvania may be April 22nd, but it could already be decided by then? So entire states don't count just because of the order they get to vote in. WTF? Then Feb 5th is a big day for many states? Does Feb 5th have anything to do with my state?

What a strange voting sytem we have. In PA you're not allowed to vote in the primaries unless you are registered as a Republican or Democrat. Total BS! That's messed up. Look at all those people in Green Party, Libertarians, Independents who don't get to vote because they're not the majority. Even our election process is extremely biased towards parisanship of the big two! Hell, last time I voted, you can't even pull a straight party vote for Green, Libertarian, or any of the 3rd parties. You've got to 1.) remember every single person's name who is running for all positions of your party. 2.) Write each of those person's names in manually at the polls. There is no multiple choice list of names availble! Joe Blow who may know jack shit about the candidates can just press a button (eenie meenie miney mo) for Rep or Dem and it just selects all the names automatically for them. Duh!

Aside from the infamous electronic voting machine problems, there are a lot of problems about the process IMO that bias the votes! The whole thing of representing the population with the delegate system, it's not really one person = 1 vote.

Then you have individual state voting law which are all different. That opens a whole can of worms...there's no federal standard across the country how it should be done.

Why can't the whole country just vote the same way, have the same rules, and have everyone be elegible regardless of their party or affiliation. Then they just tally up all the votes from everyone in the country? (Since we're voting for president of the country, NOT each state). Whomever gets the most votes wins the election. Now wouldn't that be a helluva lot more fair?!

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:47 pm

icedsushi wrote:Why can't the whole country just vote the same way, have the same rules, and have everyone be elegible regardless of their party or affiliation. Then they just tally up all the votes from everyone in the country? (Since we're voting for president of the country, NOT each state). Whomever gets the most votes wins the election. Now wouldn't that be a helluva lot more fair?!
See man the problem with that solution is that it is fair. Cmon now, this is 2008 America baby! Fraudulent solutions only! :lol: For real though WE ARE FUCKED! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:48 pm

That's a good question

but you know, the government leaves some things up to the individual states to make their own decisions on how to proceed on a 'great many a things'

until there's a change or major reform I guess you just have to play by the rules

you can't vote in the primary here unless you participate in the caucus...

not sure why I'm excited or anxious about this years election (I can think of 2 reasons, no 3) but I'm gonna do whatever it is I have to do to make my voice heard

^^ that was cheesy but true
Ableton | Elektron

Music

glu

Post by glu » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:10 pm

Why are we still pretending that the U.S. presidential election is democratic? The praxis is so far from the theory...
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:12 pm

nice use of the word praxis

however, it's nice to pretend to be doing something than doing nothing at all
Ableton | Elektron

Music

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:35 pm

Well, I'm going to vote for Obama. He's a bullshitter to an extent, but he seems to understand that bullshit is a pragmatically necessary means to an idealistic end, and he seems to understand where his bullshit ends and reality begins. What it comes down to is that he seems to have a good handle on the things that need to happen to get from point A to point B - for himself as an individual and for the U.S. as a country.

I actually believe in the guy, I'll be pretty psyched if he becomes the prez. Honestly I believe he has the potential to be the best President of my lifetime (I am 29). There's no doubt that rough times are here for the US, but as the saying goes, if it ain't broke... well, it is broke, so hopefully Barack can fix it... my biggest worry is that he may be a target (literally) for special interests.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:47 pm

That makes me wonder...why when you look back through history have only good presidents have assasination attempts against them?

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:51 pm

icedsushi wrote:That makes me wonder...why when you look back through history have only good presidents have assasination attempts against them?
Because good people generally don't assassinate people?