Stuff in Live you wish you figured out a long time ago

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
4ace

Post by 4ace » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:51 pm

This might be hard to explain but here goes....

In clip view of a long audio file a loop will always play the amount of loop selected but NOT locked to the loop bracket points.

In other words a 3 bar loop with the start point in the middle (on bar 2) now open up the loop brackets and the highlighted area will loop.Then take the bracket start and end points and move'em around.

I actually new it worked like this but i'm more in tune with using it to my advantage by finding creative sub patterns and alternate patterns within the music.
Then drag those bits and piece's to arrangement for a more traditional cut and paste style of editing.

It's basically a new cut and paste method for me that works in real time to give me an idea of what might be possible.

Sorry so Long winded i hope someone gets that... :P
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:08 am

@4ace
...do you mean selecting the loop-bracket and then using the up/down arrow keys to move the bracket, and move the playing position?

...if so, then yeah - that's acool trick for making new patterns!

also - (mac) holding apple while up/down arrowing and (pc) ctrl while up/down arrowing will double and halve the loop brace

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:46 am

Dragging and dropping tracks straight from iTunes into Live for DJing!

4ace

Post by 4ace » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:13 am

bland_handl wrote:@4ace
...do you mean selecting the loop-bracket and then using the up/down arrow keys to move the bracket, and move the playing position?

also - (mac) holding apple while up/down arrowing and (pc) ctrl while up/down arrowing will double and halve the loop brace
NO

Rather than moving the bracket as a whole,grab only the start or end of the bracket and extend it.

You will then see that rather than the whole clip being highlighted only from your start position to end of loop bracket and also the start of bracket will be highlighted.

If i could figure how to post a pic in the forum i'd love to show this because you are effectively creating the same loop length within a larger than needed bracket using different parts of the audio.

OT but do i need a photobucket account to host a pic in the forum??
I'd like to show what i'm describing :lol:
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

Tony Vibe

Post by Tony Vibe » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:26 pm

pitch bend & modulation envelopes in the drum edit clips...

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:05 pm

oevboev wrote:I just got a fit of stubbernness(forgive me) and decided to quote myself:)
oevboev wrote:Keeping an unanswered question alive here in the thread of all threads, I've really learned a lot.
Here goes:
How do I turn down the volume on all tracks at once in session view? Don't write "the master fader" :roll:
Hope somebody knows :P
Cheers
If someone is in doubt of exactly what I mean: I just am dying to be able to lower or rise the volume on all tracks by pulling the track faders while pressing some probably obscure short cut so they all move at once. I've seen this done in NoTools several times...

EDIT: After writing this I saw that djgroovy had replied, thx dude, by suggesting that I route all tracks to a 'pre-master' audio channel or send. Thats a really good idea! I'll do that from now! But surely Live must have an option to move all faders at once 8O
after the "no master fader" line i'm not sure this is what you want, but can't you place a utility plug on the master channel and reduce the overall gain with that? i'm assuming you have a compressor or something on the master and want to reduce the summed input? if you place the utility before it the compressor and lower the gain it's do the trick - i might be completely wrong about what you're after but using a utility plug would do the same as running a separate master track (i think...) anyway, hope this helps :D
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:13 pm

With draw mode off, double clicking creates a midi note!

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:08 pm

If you have a track with an instrument, dragging a sample into that instrument on the lower part of the interface will replace that instrument with a simpler containing that sample.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:20 am

My Problem: Re-starting a song and having to wait for a long delay from wherever I stopped play to stop decaying.

The Solution: This can be can be remedied by merely turning off the effect that's causing the delay and turning it back on before replaying.

:D

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:38 am

4ace wrote:
bland_handl wrote:@4ace

NO

Rather than moving the bracket as a whole,grab only the start or end of the bracket and extend it.

You will then see that rather than the whole clip being highlighted only from your start position to end of loop bracket and also the start of bracket will be highlighted.

If i could figure how to post a pic in the forum i'd love to show this because you are effectively creating the same loop length within a larger than needed bracket using different parts of the audio.

OT but do i need a photobucket account to host a pic in the forum??
I'd like to show what i'm describing :lol:
www.imageshack.us

copy the direct link to the image (bottom link)

paste it between [img]%20and[/img] tags

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

aeon

Post by aeon » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:47 pm

dhilsabeck wrote:My Problem: Re-starting a song and having to wait for a long delay from wherever I stopped play to stop decaying.

The Solution: This can be can be remedied by merely turning off the effect that's causing the delay and turning it back on before replaying.

you can also do this by pressing 'stop' twice.

*aeon loves loooooooooong reverbs*

digitally yours

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:36 pm

aeon wrote:
dhilsabeck wrote:My Problem: Re-starting a song and having to wait for a long delay from wherever I stopped play to stop decaying.

you can also do this by pressing 'stop' twice.

*aeon loves loooooooooong reverbs*

me too. cheers.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:15 pm

I discovered yesterday that all of my midi interfaces in preferences have little arrows to expand the settings (oddly enough, just like the little arrows in the browser. Doh! Pillock!). If I then set my newly found MIDI input type option to MME, my terrible drumming on my cheap midi drum kit isn't quite as out of time as I thought it was! Poor latency + my poor drum coordination = no good for quantising!!!

I know I'm white, but I still thought I had better rhythm than that! :wink:

This thread's great! I'll have to read it once a week til I remember half of it though. I can use that forum shortcut from live now though! :)

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:45 am

tanawana wrote:alt, then click on a midi note, then drag up and down to change velocity with the value popping up

ctrl, then click on a midi note, then drag up and down to duplicate it

- New to me at least.
For me and my Mac, those key combos are opposites to yours.

Alt-drag copies.
Cmd-drag changes velocity.

Thanks for mentioning them. I like the velocity drag. It's way easier for me to do that than to find the little Vel line and drag that, esp. when Note Ons are overlapping or really close.

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:34 am

fatrabbit wrote:
gabster wrote:multiple clips from the browser in the arrangement or session view? Didn't work for me -

g
Session view certainly, not sure about Arrange (at work, can't test).

Select multiple clips in browser with shift (usual way) then drag in whilst holding Cmd.
I wonder why this isn't working for me. It definitely ain't happening here. I tried CMD before, and after, I started the drag from the Browser. Same result, in Session or Arrangement. They all drop onto one track.