Day 1 of not smoking

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ajbbklyn

Post by Ajbbklyn » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:46 pm

This month is 25 years since my last cigarette. For me, that's more than half a lifetime ago. I wish you all the luck and strength needed to succeed.

I've never looked back. (except in the photos below)
Andy Baum
(nicht der österreichische Musiker)
http://andy-baum.com

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:48 pm

I agree it isn't a good idea to smoke on special occasions or when your drinking because it will be easy to fall back to old habits. Almost all my friends smoke and half my coworkers. It won't be easy but at this stage I am trying to proceed with blinders one hour and one day at a time and not think about possible dangerous situations. If I can stay out of the bars at least for a couple weeks I think I will be stronger by the time I hit them again.

I had to break about a dozen smokes I still had left because I didn't think just throwing them away would be good enough. When has a little dirt ever kept a fiending smoker from lighting up? Next, is tossing all the butts out that are littering the backyard and then on to laundry. The scary thing is I don't even remember how bad smoke smells because I am always in a cloud of it or wearing closes that are soaked in it.

As kind of a one-two-punch I am also cutting waaaay back on soda. I'm not stopping that completely but there really is no reason I should be drinking 2+ sodas a day. I'm not saying sodas and smoking go hand in hand but I would often find myself filling a glass with ice and Coke and heading straight to the backyard for a smoke. Water will be my friend.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:50 pm

my tolerance for alcohol went through the roof when i quit.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:51 pm

beats me wrote:I
As kind of a one-two-punch I am also cutting waaaay back on soda. I'm not stopping that completely but there really is no reason I should be drinking 2+ sodas a day.
that one will make you fell better to!

PLB

Post by PLB » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:57 pm

best way to quit anything:

http://www.falconblanco.com/health/clea ... leanse.htm

I just did my second cleanse a few weeks ago and i recommend it for anyone!

jamester

Post by jamester » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:55 pm

Congrats man, I'm two months tobacco-free myself! :)

It's actually quite easy to quit cigs, you simply stop buying them/bumming them/lighting them/smoking them. I have no will power, yet I quit cold turkey and can honestly say it's not that hard. But only if you truly want it...
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

Akshara

Post by Akshara » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:15 pm

While the Master Cleanse recommended above works for some (I have done it myself a couple of times), it can be extremely stressful on the body, and must be come off of properly or it will completely destroy the probiotic bacteria in one's gut. I don't recommend one quitting smoking do any type of detox or cleanse for several months, as the stress on the body can be very intense, making the quitting process much harder.

While detoxing is a very good and healthy thing to do, it's extremely important to do it properly, as there can be a "stage 2" level of detoxification where the body can't process or eliminate the toxins as fast as they are being released from the cells, causing them to be stored in other areas of the body, which can create all kinds of longterm health problems. This is especially true for longterm smokers who often have high levels of heavy toxins stored in fat cells and throughout their bodies.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:36 pm

*hugs*

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:49 pm

jamester wrote:Congrats man, I'm two months tobacco-free myself! :)

It's actually quite easy to quit cigs, you simply stop buying them/bumming them/lighting them/smoking them. I have no will power, yet I quit cold turkey and can honestly say it's not that hard. But only if you truly want it...
I absolutely agree with this. I quit smoking in this same manner many, many years ago. But to this day, I credit it as one of the best acts I have ever performed for myself.

I decided that I would not "try" to quit smoking. Rather, I would simply quit, & take the consequences. Also, since timing is everything, I waited until I had finished a major move to a different city, & my life was more stable.

Once I had relocated I was in a better emotional & mental state, & that's when I quit cold turkey. I was surprised that it didn't bother me more than it did!

My advise is to really know if this is the time, & if so then stay strong! Sure, you'll miss it, but that's just temporary. Just don't "play" at quitting smoking, or you'll erode your resolve & your faith in your ability. Be committed!

One more thing: be prepared to HATE cigarettes once you've left them behind. Ex-smokers are usually pretty disgusted by them!

More power to you!

UncleAge

Re: Day 1 of not smoking

Post by UncleAge » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:15 am

beats me wrote:Come along with me on a journey through loss, panic attacks, mood swings, resentment, emptiness, and anger which supposedly leads to energy, health, confidence, freedom, and some extra cash. Coincidentally this same description could be used to describe most of my relationships except in the exact opposite order.

It's been 10 glorious years but it's time to cut the cord. I'm tired of footing the bill and smelling like ass. I'm going with the cold turkey method just like any other break up (if you have any dignity or self respect). There's no slowly weening yourself off or substituting. Just get the fuck out and let the healing process begin. It's not the end of the world. There's other addictive unhealthy life shortening substances out there.

Any tails or words of advice are welcome except substitutes that also aren't healthy. No more nicotine, period!
Seems funny to run across this thread today, of all days. After smoking 20 years I decided that I am quitting as well, starting today. I thought staying active all day would keep my mind off of it so I didn't bother getting on the net because I was sure it would lead to me wanting a smoke. First forum checked I run across this post. Too funny...

Good luck man!

beats me

Re: Day 1 of not smoking

Post by beats me » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:37 am

UncleAge wrote:
beats me wrote:Come along with me on a journey through loss, panic attacks, mood swings, resentment, emptiness, and anger which supposedly leads to energy, health, confidence, freedom, and some extra cash. Coincidentally this same description could be used to describe most of my relationships except in the exact opposite order.

It's been 10 glorious years but it's time to cut the cord. I'm tired of footing the bill and smelling like ass. I'm going with the cold turkey method just like any other break up (if you have any dignity or self respect). There's no slowly weening yourself off or substituting. Just get the fuck out and let the healing process begin. It's not the end of the world. There's other addictive unhealthy life shortening substances out there.

Any tails or words of advice are welcome except substitutes that also aren't healthy. No more nicotine, period!
Seems funny to run across this thread today, of all days. After smoking 20 years I decided that I am quitting as well, starting today. I thought staying active all day would keep my mind off of it so I didn't bother getting on the net because I was sure it would lead to me wanting a smoke. First forum checked I run across this post. Too funny...

Good luck man!
Right on man, and good luck to you as well. Just think of all those plugins you can buy with the money you save from not smoking. Sure, you may not need them but they're a Hell of a lot more healthy than smoking.

dpel

Post by dpel » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:41 pm

good luck.

Have no disillusions, you are a smoker.
you have chosen not to smoke today.

I have not lit up since 1991, I still consider myself a smoker
I could easily light up now, I choose not to.

good luck
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

thefool

Post by thefool » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:46 pm

just think every week "whoop here comes another plug i always wanted" :P

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:55 pm

Congratulations and good luck to all of you that have the will-power and self-pride to stop abusing yourself, poisoning those around you, and supporting the tobacco industry, especially those of you with the balls and determination to cold-turkey!

Water, exercise and personal pride are your friends...
Last edited by hambone1 on Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:13 pm

hang in there Beats Me, the hard part is changing those smoke breaks into other forms of satisfying, relaxing breaks. I'm on my 4th month off, the wife's just passing a month. can't say I miss it.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz