What Is Tinnitus?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hypomixolydian

What Is Tinnitus?

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:55 pm

Hello,

I was exposed to a really loud noise recently (really loud church bells ringing as I was standing outside a building chatting to someone). Maybe I am being ultra sensitive and too self conscious, but if I have noticed that I can't tolerate certain sounds anymore.
People who slam doors irritate me and loud traffic noises like trucks driving past do the same. I have noticed that when I am in almost total silence I hear a kind of constant white noise in my ears, a low level type of hissing. My wife says she hears it in her ears too when there is total silence. Is this tinnitus? Does anyone else experience this? From what I have read so far, tinnitus seems to be a kind of high pitch ringing, which isn't quite what I hear. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:03 am

Not an expert on tinnitus but did have a similar experience recently.
I was exposed to a very loud sound and as a result I got "Vertigo".
3 days without balance will mess with your head. You get out of bed and you fall back and there's almost nothing you can do about it. Wait till shit stops spinning.
And its not "just being dizzy". You literally feel like the world is spinning around you.

Anyway. It passed and my ears seemed ok.
I just got of a flight and experienced the mother of all pressure on my ears. I was close to screaming.
3 hours since my flight and I'm still waiting for my right ear to pop.
I'm probably going to schedule an ear exam tomorrow. I hope my ear will have popped by then.

koneko

Post by koneko » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:17 am

just for a test, is there anyone here who DOESNT hear a beeeeep right now?

look for it...

listen closer

closer

i bet you all do

my theory is that everybody has tinnitus to some extend. only question is, how bad does it influence your life. i suppose its highly psychosomatic. ignoring something, in the sense of letting go of it, is one of the most difficult things for a human being to do.. how unfortunate.

but nevertheless, its there, and it annoys you. go see a doctor. there are many new ways of dealing with it. they basically found a way to teach the brain not to react with this specific annoying sound, by playing it some other, specific sounds (now thats a fine medical description) and sometimes, i admit, its not just a psycho-thing.

zsazsa

Post by zsazsa » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:19 am

the noise is tinnitus.
The oversensivity of your ears is called hyperacusis.
Both are very annoying (depending on the degree).
I myself have both.
A little tinnitus:. I notice it when things get quiet or when i have a hangover or smoked a lot.
Hyperacusis was at one point pretty bad (I couldn't stand cycling past driving cars). This fortunately has become less. At one point i wore earplug when i went outside. Earplugs, as far as I've read, are a bad idea in 'normal' life because they make the difference in sound greater when you hear normal sounds again.
The hyperacusis became a lot less but I don't want to go clubbing without my earplugs.
I do think my ears can hear so dynamically as they used to.

You can find a lot of info on the net. There doesn't seem to be a complete cure but there is a sort of 'noise' training.

Dominik

Post by Dominik » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:38 am

me also make a big shit in the past.

ALWAYS watch that the output (overall level) is zero.
from your headphone/speaker case of view.
if the overall level from audio is below o and say you have the master turned down and you boost one track
then you get awfull spikes just because your overall level is to low.
you always have to try to make a dynamic range.
as less the dynamic range as loud it is.
if you take care of this you can listen louder music.
better not all the time.

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:54 am

zsazsa wrote:the noise is tinnitus.
The oversensivity of your ears is called hyperacusis.
Both are very annoying (depending on the degree).
I myself have both.
A little tinnitus:. I notice it when things get quiet or when i have a hangover or smoked a lot.
Hyperacusis was at one point pretty bad (I couldn't stand cycling past driving cars). This fortunately has become less. At one point i wore earplug when i went outside. Earplugs, as far as I've read, are a bad idea in 'normal' life because they make the difference in sound greater when you hear normal sounds again.
The hyperacusis became a lot less but I don't want to go clubbing without my earplugs.
I do think my ears can hear so dynamically as they used to.

You can find a lot of info on the net. There doesn't seem to be a complete cure but there is a sort of 'noise' training.

Oh dear. Now I am worried. So I guess that means that I have suffered some hearing loss. By the way, I can't stand the sound of mopeds (broomfeiters) riding past me and you get lots of those in Holland. I find the sound so loud. This was a problem I discussed with my doctor, but he said it is stress and not hearing related.

AndyJapan

Re: What Is Tinnitus?

Post by AndyJapan » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:19 am

Have a look at the following websites for more info about tinnitus:

Information about tinnitus:
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/tinnitus/article_em.htm

American Tinnitus Association:
http://www.ata.org/
* Only the paranoid survive... *
Live7, Yamaha GO46, Edirol PCR-300

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:24 am

loud punk rock, marshal stacks, ampegs, guns, explosives (u.s. army)
drums and stupidity. (ie not listening to my elders when i was a kid).

now i have tinnitus and it sucks ass.
but as long as its not totally silent and i don't think about it i don't notice it.

nothing like a good ol constant ring lol.

i dont think i'm insane what is sanity?

o by the way my aunt under went some chiropractic treatment to fix her tmj and she said it also cleared up her tinnitus. *shrug*

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:27 am

Tinnitus sucks ass!
Got mine back in the days (i was like 14 or something) when i was a bass player in a speed metal band...
After all these years it turned out ok. I stopped hearing music all the time (We had Walkmans, yeah!) and quitted the band. It took me 10 years to *cure* it, now im only noticing it when its very silent or after a night out in the club without at least a a piece of tissue in the ears.
White Noise or static hiss (just crank up the amp) helped me a lot in the beginning to get a little sleep.

Its more then annoying you start to to think that you will loose your sanity.

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:57 am

Pardon?

Warminstrel

Post by Warminstrel » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:59 pm

Has anyone seen the film 'Children of Men'?

Theres a scene where a group of terrorists set off a bomb in a busy street.

They all pile into the back of a van, taking along a passer by known to the group.

He's sat in the back of the van holding his ears in pain caused by the blast/noise.

One of the terrorists tells him that the 'whisteling' noise he's hearing is the 'swan song' of his ear receptors as they die and tells him to listen carefully as he will never hear that frequency again.

Maybe we'll all be chatting on a hearing loss forum in 20 years time..........

eh?

u wot?

laird

Post by laird » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:25 pm

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:Oh dear. Now I am worried.
Don't stress yet!!

Its very very possible to cause "temporary" hearing damage. And I say temporary in quotes because it might not get better for a year or more, but it _could_ get better. A medical doctor could diagnose you better than a musician's forum, of course ;)
For instance, many chemo patients lose some of the sensory hairs in their ears... this results in a ringing sensation (as if they killed the cells entirely)... eventually, the chemo stops, and the ear hairs slowly grow back, and the brain gets back to its own equilibrium and the ringing goes away.

1. Doctors aren't even sure if tinnitus is caused by damage to the ear, or caused by overactive relays in the brain. Recent MRI studies (and the fact cochlear-nerve-damaged deaf people can get tinnitus) suggest tinnitus might be caused by overactive neural processes. There's a big study going on here testing drugs similar to lidocaine (i think, anyhow, a drug that does not affect hearing at all, but does affect nerve impulses greatly)

laird

Post by laird » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:28 pm

And, yes, stress-reducing regimens AND drugs have had good success rates at alleviating / curing tinnitus. Not 100% of course. but there's no reason to doubt 303's claim that his/her tinnitus got better after years-- just because some tinnitus is permanent), for other people, healing can definitely happen.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:33 pm

I think there is also a bit of an element of auditory people just being acutely aware of their hearing

I noticed the other night I typed a word and it was a completely different word to the one I wanted, but sounded the same phonetically, because my brain just works mostly on that auditory level

I reckon a lot of people into music would be like that

laird

Post by laird » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:38 pm

your phone's ringing, dude.