Macbook + Firestudio Project = clicks + pops?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Grahambo!

Macbook + Firestudio Project = clicks + pops?

Post by Grahambo! » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:49 pm

Hey, I posted a recent topic asking for help in my new laptop purchase. I bought a Macbook 2.2Ghz this morning in replacement of my desktop PC. It's pretty sweet, but I'm having some problems audio-wise:

I have a Presonus Firestudio Project and it worked great on my PC. But on my Macbook all I hear are pops and crackles over my audio. It doesn't block out my audio, but it's still very very noticeable. MIND YOU: this isn't only when Live 7 is on. This happens (seemingly) randomly, regardless of the application (I was just on myspace and the songs on there were doing the same thing).

Any help? I'm new to mac, so I have no clue what's up...

xdissent

Post by xdissent » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:07 am

Any luck? I just got an iMac and have the exact same issue. I see a lot of people saying their interface is dropping out when running Logic, but so far you're the only person with what sounds like the same crackle and pop problem i'm having. VERY annoying to say the least.

the ar

Post by the ar » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:28 am

Basic answer:
Tried reinstalling the audio drivers? http://www.presonus.com/downloads.html
Have you tried using asio4all (even if I consider that to be my last resort)? http://www.asio4all.com
I would of suggested fiddling with the audio buffer size, but since you have this problem 'randomly' and in other applications it SHOULD be a driver/incompatibility issue.
It could also be your graphic card drivers, a dual core/hyperthreading related issue or maybe 'just' an IRQ conflict (check your firewire devices and your network card if you have one).
Anyway I've been through this kind of crap before, and friends of mine have too.
The two solutions that have ALWAYS worked (at least for me and my pals) are these:
- disabling hyperthreading
- changing your firewire card
There is a known issue with cards that have a NEC chip, so if you have one run to your gizmo store and buy one with a VIA or Texas Instruments one.
That should do it, hopefully.

xdissent

Post by xdissent » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:46 am

no dice. these are macs we're talking about here. no asio drivers. audio buffer size isn't even set in the firecontrol (presonus mixer app) mac version. no clue how to change that. if i figure it out i'll post.

the ar

Post by the ar » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:52 am

My bad, forgot we were talking about Macs.
Anyway you can change the buffer size directly from Live.
Preferences > Audio
It's in the Latency settings.
Other then this I have no solutions except the 'reinstall the drivers' and 'contact support'. :/
(un)fortunately I've had similar issues only on PC.
Good luck.

Grahambo!

Post by Grahambo! » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:10 am

yeah. I have had luck actually.

The problem is the new firewire chipsets apparently. Newer macbooks (e.g., MINE) have different chipsets, and they are causing problems w/ certain fireiwre interfaces.

My solution: I called my Apple store the DAY AFTER I bought mine, and they called Apple HQ and are sending me a replacement macbook(older version w/ good firewire chipset) w/ an extra gig of memory, and a $400 refund. All brand new. It's a macbook from 2007 still, but built before October (when Apple started making different version macbook).

So. new macbook and $400 cash basically. Havent gotten it yet, waiting for it. Sometimes next week the guy said. And I get to keep this one until they get it in.

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:38 am

I had this problem as well, and just opening the fire control mixer and changing the sample rate to 48000 seemed to solve it. The sample rate control would change itself back to 44100 (to match the sample rate of live I guess), and then after a few seconds, the sound would be great!
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

Grahambo!

Post by Grahambo! » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:06 am

OK NOW! WTF?!

Just got that new macbook... you all know, the older generation one in replacement of my 2.2 ghz one I bought last week... AND IT STILL pops & clicks w/ my Firestudio Project! I thought this TI chipset was supposed to be the fix!!!!

BAH!

Grahambo!

Post by Grahambo! » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:24 am

.....i have no idea what to do now.....

a replacement macbook, w/ what I presume is the OLDER TI chipset...and still it's all messed up.

anyone know of an audio interface that's reasonably priced as the presonus firestudio project and have at least 8 inputs...????

MobiusB

Yep, got an answer for ya.

Post by MobiusB » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:50 am

I had the exact same problem on an older (Oct 06) MacBook Pro (So the TI chipset). It's the FireStudio dude, NOT the Mac, no matter what PreSonus is telling you. I waited almost two months for drivers or some kind of fix and all's I got from them was "drivers are coming soon".

I bought the Focusrite Safire 10/io. Exact same price and specs (got it from Sweetwater). Thing worked for me immediately and flawlessly.

Dump the FireStudio. Go either Safire or MOTU (I know others that went that route and they're up and running too).

Good luck!
-Mobius

Grahambo!

Post by Grahambo! » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:56 am

Ok. I'll go check out a Saffire Pro 10 I/O. Maybe Guitar Center has one. I'd rather get one in-store so I can try it out at home and return it right away if it doesnt solve my problem.

Grahambo!

Post by Grahambo! » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:43 am

Update: Well, I reverted my macbook from Leopard to Tiger and now it seems to work OK. Hmmm....