MacBook Vs. MacBook Pro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Akshara

Post by Akshara » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:01 pm

"unwatchable" and "extremely laggy"?
Left out the "compared to the MBP" part, but whatever... the Macbook external display option works fine at 1920x1200; it just works better at 1280x800.

We like to watch missed TV episodes online. On the Macbook's internal display they play as well as watching cable TV. When dragged to the 24" Dell at 1920x1200, the frame rate drops to the point of what I personally consider to be unwatchable. For some, it might be good enough. I'd rather watch it on TV. On the MBP, when dragged to the Dell it plays the same as on the internal display.

We're licensed to run a standalone visualizer similar to the iTunes visualizer at performances. On the MBP it runs smoothly at 1920x1200 even while running other applications. On the Macbook at 1920x1200, the framerate noticeably drops and it heats up fast, though it runs fair enough if that's all it's doing; at 1280x800, the frame rate is smoother and the temperature is better, so that's what we run it at.

I mean c'mon... the MBP runs Unreal Tournament III at max settings, while the Macbook gets hot running Mahjong Towers Eternity. It's like comparing apples with basketballs.

But hey, it bothers me how on the MBP the RSS Visualizer screensaver lags a bit on the external display behind the internal display. Meanwhile, I've got a friend who can stare at a 1080i HDTV right next to a large standard TV and say, "I don't really see the difference." To each his own.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:19 pm

Ok, thanks for the comparisions, yeah I did see the "compared to the MBP" part. But the way you described the macbook w/visualizer & videos on the 24", it sounds worse than my old powerbook.

I'm only concerned that the new macbook's graphics speed on a 23" won't be a step back from my powerbook. From what you're describing in your last post, now it doesn't sound like it would be. But there's only one way to know for sure. I'll have to dig up and compare the graphics specs of both machines...

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:05 am

Graphics specs

Macbook:

Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory

12" 1.5ghz Powerbook:

NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM

Which has the faster graphics?

Is the macbook faster because of the intel graphics processor and more video RAM? Or is the Powerbook faster because it's not "shared with main memory"?

jashic

Post by jashic » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:29 am

The X3100 is a great processor. Almost as good as the ATI card that was in the older Macbook Pros. The only downside is that the memory is slower.

I have a MBP. Why? Because 13.3 inches of screen space is WAAAY too small for using ableton.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:50 am

jashic wrote:The X3100 is a great processor. Almost as good as the ATI card that was in the older Macbook Pros.
OK, that's great but...
jashic wrote:The only downside is that the memory is slower.
...the memory is slower than what? Hopefully not slower than my Powerbook because of the macbook being shared memory. Bottom line, I'm happy as long as it wouldn't be a downgrade from the graphics speed I have now.
jashic wrote:I have a MBP. Why? Because 13.3 inches of screen space is WAAAY too small for using ableton.
Yep I hear ya, it's tight. But it's actually 1.3 inches bigger than what I have now. And I've gotten by all this time with the 12 incher (love the portability). So I'm good there. :wink:

reptar

Post by reptar » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:51 am

I'm gonna have to disagree with the people saying the Macbook is giggable. I've had my Macbook since September 06 and use it to do location recordings, record live gigs, gig with my band, DJ, record/produce at home and as my work laptop.

The build quality of the Macbooks is designed for someone who's going to use it just around the home, maybe to take to school or college but it's not designed to last if it's being used a lot all the time. My mouse button is worn out and I can no longer click and drag because it'll drop at completely random points. The case is worn on either side of the screen from it flexing in my bag while closed and rubbing on the area either side of the keys and the palmrests are cracked from the moulded plastic line things which keep the screen off the keyboard when it's closed. Also the glossy screen is annoying on stage with lots of lights.

I really look after all my gear, I'm the kind of guy who won't let other people roll my leads after a show or touch the mics in my studio in case they drop them. I've always kept the Macbook in a case when I wasn't using it but it's just not built stong enough to hold up to constant use. If you're just going to be using it at home then it's powerful enough for audio work but if you're gigging a lot spend the extra cash and get something reliable. I'll be getting a MBP to replace this one as soon as Pro Tools qualifies 10.5, I just don't feel confidant this machine isn't going to suddenly die on me.

suspended childhood

Post by suspended childhood » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:10 am

didnt I hear that the current MBP's (built since sept 07) have crap/ unstable usb and firewire ports? I thought we were waiting for Apple to switch back to the TI buss?

Ive been waiting to get another MBP as a backup, should I just get one now?

Or is the usb/ firewire port thing just an issue with 10.5?
John Deere 9860STS Hydraflex , 15" MBP 2.5 C2D 4 gigs RAM, 15" MBP 2.33 Dual Core 3 gigs ram, ultralite x2, MPD 32, Kontrol49, v4, CG-8, live 7, reason 4, Trilogy, MiniMonsta, Oddity, M8. http://www.myspace.com/robclay