Imogen Heap - Just For Now - Repeating/Looping

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:46 pm

Problem I have with that is I'll tap tempo, then while I'm playing guitar I'll stray slightly from that tempo if I don't have a click track, so that when I close the loop it'll be a little off. Which means a lot off when it comes to looping.

So it looks like I'm stuck with a click track for now...
MBP C2D 2.33GHz---Metric Halo MIO 2882

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:49 pm

That Electrix Virtual Repeater looks like it might solve the initial loop problem.

Anyone know if it can serve as a MIDI Master Clock? Then you could slave Live to it and all would be gravy...

lis102trants

Post by lis102trants » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:55 pm

I'm not sure if we mean the same thing, but I have found it very difficult to record the first loop WHILE tapping tempo. What I end up with is a strangely warped loop which plays back out of sync because Live's master tempo is changing slightly during the course of the recording.
I guess I forgot to mention that you don't even need to use Live's master tempo :lol:
You tap the tempo as you start playing, and when you're finished with the loop, tap the tempo once more to begin looping. From there, you just play along to the rhythm of your first loop. In the Imogen Heap video, she lays down the "just for now" lyric every 2 beats. Or, you can make your first loop a kind of metronome with a sound that is part of the song. Check out how Dosh does it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Czx5WCrL9KA&feature=related
[/quote]

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:27 am

mobius is free, does everything you could need.

bulo

Post by bulo » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:44 pm

do you think she's using in-ear monitors? and possibly a metronome?
Yeah, we can see an ear-monitor on the video in the first page of this thread.
My tongue spits english like a frog and my head is currently searching for a comprehensive language.
And I shit here

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:16 pm

dj superflat wrote:mobius is free, does everything you could need.
It's Windows only though right?

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:41 pm

lis102trants wrote:I guess I forgot to mention that you don't even need to use Live's master tempo :lol:
I guess I don't really understand what tempo you're tapping if not Live's master tempo... :?

I guess my issue is that in order to keep your loops in sync with Live's Bar/Beat divisions, you need to start out with either a Metronome Click, which is inherently in sync, or a carefully engineered "Guide Loop", created either "live" or pre-recorded.

When I create this Guide Loop live, it becomes technical, or at least very fiddly-- all about making sure the clicks or percussive noises or whatever sync and loop perfectly. It usually involves editing the Clip, moving the in/out points of the loop, sometimes moving warp markers, etc... Only then after all that can I just play, keeping time with the Guide Track.

What I want is to bypass the Guide Track phase. Just come up with a musical phrase in whatever time, loop it, have the computer figure out what BPM it is, sync Live to that BPM, and then I can continue to loop in Live as per normal. No metronome.

I haven't been able to figure out how to do this... Is this still science fiction?

lis102trants

Post by lis102trants » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:16 am

I guess I don't really understand what tempo you're tapping if not Live's master tempo...
Set up 4 audio tracks with Augustus Loop on them, click the triangle to open up this menu and midimap the "Tap Record" of all 4 audio tracks to a single control, and then midimap each of the 4 record-arm buttons to a separate control. Leave the record-arm buttons off until you want to create a new loop. You could also midimap the track activation buttons to mute an audio track without having to time it back into the song, as the loop will continue to play. You don't have to hit play in Ableton (which means you don't use Live's tempo). I basically use Ableton for the audio effects and routing capabilities.

I understand how you want to define Live's tempo, but this isn't possible yet, at least to my knowledge of Ableton Live. This is just my own work-around for the time being.

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:22 am

Maybe this for Augustus Loop:

With this setup you don't need to predefine the tempo or the length of your synced loops.

You can set the tempo using a phrase recorded in real time and then proceed with overdubs, resampling, etc in sync to the original loop.

You can set up one instance of Augustus Loop and use it as a clock master for Ableton. Then you can sync other Augustus Loopers in separate tracks to the clock master.

This way you can record your first loop into the master looper in real time and then have Live pick up the tempo. You sacrifice the ability to change tempo on the fly in Ableton, but you can still record clips and everything else.

Go to Live MIDI prefs and set the Augstus Loop Input MIDI port to 'Sync' for the master looper. Turn on the 'EXT' button in the upper left corner of the session view to turn on Live's external clock sync.

Make sure the transport in Live is stopped and master looper has 'PAUSE CLOCK' on (paused, MIDI Map this control to a pedal or button). Set a predetermined loop length for the master looper's 'Beats' so that the tempo will be calculated correctly after you record it. For example, if you set Beats to 4 x 1/4 notes and then record a 4 second loop the tempo will be calculated to 60 bpm.

Now press Tap Record in the master looper and record your first loop. Press Tap Rec again and the loop begins playing along with Live synced to the loop's tempo. Or you can put a Gate before the looper and use Trigger Rec.

Use Live's track record arm buttons, probably mapped to a MIDI controller, to turn on / off the audio input stream to each looper. You can use Trigger Record (or Tap / Hold) along with a loop quantization value and Punch Out quantization set to 'LengthQ' for the slave loopers to create the initial synced loops. I can't get perfectly synced loops without setting a minimal Punch In quantization 1/128.

If you want to tap tempo or type in the tempo just turn off Live's external clock sync and set the tempo in Live. Don't use the master looper track for that loop session and use the synced loopers as usual.

Mix this with MIDI loopback clip looping for star power?

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:18 am

No need to start with a metronome click. Map Live's tempo button to a foot pedal or a key. Arm your first clip, and start tapping away with your tempo of choice. When you've got the tempo down (after 1 measure or 4, or whatever - it doesn't matter), start playing. Live has been keeping up with your foot taps (or keyboard taps), and your impromptu tempo is set. The clip has already been armed, so you're good to go.

Map other clip slots to footpedals and you can build that classic loop layering.

Somewhat asked earlier about how Heap does one loop in 4 bars, but does longer loops later. That's super easy. Every clip you create has a loop length feature that you can easily set in bars. Arm your first clip as 4 bars, the next as 8, etc.

EDIT: Sorry, I got confused on the loop time issue. When recording a Midi loop clip, you can set the loop time in advance. When recording an audio loop clip, you simply start recording into the clip after you trigger, play (or sing!) for as many bars as you like, then stop the clip record via another trigger. A singer could easily tap a key on a keyboard, Trigger Finger, or laptop key in order to start recording and again to stop. For guitar players, a midi footpedal is the only practical way to do this.