warping tracks to dj

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sineman

warping tracks to dj

Post by sineman » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:31 pm

Just curious what peoples feelings are about setting tracks up for warping in live to dj with. Let's say we're just talking about computer-produced regular house and techno tracks with no changing time signature. Do you use the auto-warp long samples setting or do you set up the markers manually. I have a good method for doing it manually but just wondered if I'm making life over complicated for myself.

Penny (actually none) for your thoughts.
Macbook Pro 2.16, OSX 10.4.11
Live 6, Logic 7.2.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:36 pm

It's always good to warp hem yourself. The autowarp is flawed and is hard to correct. Usually, with electronic music, the autowarp will only put down one warp marker and it is easy to fix, but I can do the same thing myself.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:13 pm

Autowarp gets it close usually, but they ALWAYS need to be adjusted manually IMO.

lipidfish

Post by lipidfish » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:25 pm

You'll find that the work needed to warp your house & techno music is not as much as what would be needed for other non-electronic type of music.

vinkalmann

Post by vinkalmann » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:03 pm

Auto Warp should really be called "Mostly Warp"...
[Guide to Mixing in Arrangement View^][Guide to Warping in Ableton Live^]

stonee

Post by stonee » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:42 am

vinkalmann wrote:Auto Warp should really be called "Mostly Warp"...
just read your auto warp guide.

thank you very much!

snakedogman

Re: warping tracks to dj

Post by snakedogman » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:37 am

sineman wrote:Just curious what peoples feelings are about setting tracks up for warping in live to dj with. Let's say we're just talking about computer-produced regular house and techno tracks with no changing time signature. Do you use the auto-warp long samples setting or do you set up the markers manually. I have a good method for doing it manually but just wondered if I'm making life over complicated for myself.

Penny (actually none) for your thoughts.
I just warp manually. It only takes a couple of seconds with most electronic/house music anyway.

My method: Set the first beat and place a warp marker, then set the tempo by adjusting the grid a couple of beats further on. When the tempo seems generally synced, adjust the grid on one of the last beats of the track and this should fine tune the overall tempo. Only takes one warp marker :)
You can even do it mostly visually without listening at all (of course this depends on the track and how easily visible the kickdrums are in the waveform).