Best software for teaching home production?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gjm

Post by gjm » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:38 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:plus with reaper kids could actually get a copy legally.

just a thought but did you think about contacting some companies like ableton, sonar....extc. and tell them you'll be teaching kids and your game plan and all.
they may work something out because you'll be influencing future consumers.
be cool if they gave you a bunch of Light serial numbers to give away to your students.
I thought about this and Live lite. I just wasn't sure if little old New Zealand was on the map in their minds.

One other thing that is high on my priority is the quality of the forums for the chosen software. The mac based school is primary so no need to encourage exploring the internet. The other school is a high school. Alot of the kids are smart computor and internet users. I don't see how you can't encourage them to research the net. I actually have not participated in the Reaper forum, but I would not want to be seen dead recomending this forum to these impressionable minds. I'd get my ass kicked from here to Africa, and then some. Loose my job as well.

I know the M-Audio stuff gets alot of groans, but I thought about using the Fast Track USB. The drivers were a bit funny at first but they seem fine now. Cheap unit to get going with.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:46 pm

hahahaha, yeah I can just see some parent walking in on their child hanging out on the ableton forum looking at hot anal superteen orgies - "My music teacher told me to come here!"

Encouraging internet savvy is one of my goals...how to find info and plugins, how to setup a website or myspace page, finding labels, etc.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:52 pm

Ok, how about this question :

1) The student brings their computer and interface to the teaching studio where we have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers. Student only has to bring their tower/laptop, and I can teach them on exactly the softwares they are using. This is similar to a guitar student packing up their guitar to bring to class.

-OR-

2) The student brings a USB drive or something, with their files on it. The studio has a computer and everything setup, running Reaper and/or possibly demos of software (?). The problem here is that the studio (or me) has to provide a computer, and the student won't necessarily be learning on their exact setup.

I am leaning heavily towards option #1, but perhaps one of you geniuses has experience or a better idea? :D

pale1

Post by pale1 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:55 pm

Stick with live.
Once the students have an understanding of arrangement view, they can use that knowledge in other production DAW´s. Not so easy the other way around.
Macbook
Rme babyface pro
push 2
Genelec 1030A
Analogue gear
Stuff amassed through time

http://www.soundcloud.com/foss
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsEWQB ... smHhob59Xg

gjm

Post by gjm » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:59 pm

pale1 wrote:Stick with live.
Once the students have an understanding of arrangement view, they can use that knowledge in other production DAW´s. Not so easy the other way around.
If using the lite version, is 4 midi and 4 audio tracks enough to teach what you want to teach?
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:18 pm

gjm wrote:
pale1 wrote:Stick with live.
If using the lite version, is 4 midi and 4 audio tracks enough to teach what you want to teach?
I could use 4 and 4 to teach basics and techniques, but ultimately I think it will be better teaching if I can teach them on their own projects, using exactly the setup they actually use. If a student wanted/needed to use Live Lite, I could teach them on that, but also GarageBand, Fruity, ProTools, whatever. I'll have to be flexible! :P

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:20 pm

^^ Great idea, freddy!

forge

Post by forge » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:54 pm

Reaper is a good idea and so is FLStudio for the home production - and of course Live LE

but it might be worth considering that if they are planning to move to a proper studio at some point then they will probably need to know pro-tools