VIDEO sync with Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bosley

VIDEO sync with Live

Post by bosley » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:29 pm

hi,
here's my 1 post, so it's perhaps a stupid question, but:

is it possible to sync Live with a video file clip ?(quicktime, rplayer, avi, etc)

thanx 4 your help!
bosley
bosley

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:33 pm

yep... granted software do a little app called REVISION, which gives you a quicktime window, and lots of other clever things like timecode key moments etc.. exactly what you need..

ttp://www.grantedsw.com/
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:35 pm

broken link

its here

http://www.grantedsw.com/
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

hat

Post by hat » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:21 am

I've been using that Revision for about a year now and for the most part, it's done me good. There's quite a few things I hate about it but oh well, it's helped me won a few commercials. I would love to see Quicktime import into Live someday.

dkonstrukt

Post by dkonstrukt » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:01 am

i've also used revision for scoring jingles with some TV ads and short film soundtracks, and love it. It made alot of sense for me to use it with Live and Reason.

However, the fact that it's only a Rewire master makes it rather troublesome for me, and Live in Rewire slave mode cuts me off from my trusty AU/VST plug-ins, as well as not allowing recording at the same time.

Has anyone found a workaround for this issue, or possibly another program? I've tried using Logic, but gave up as my workflow is already highly streamlined with Live usage.

best,
KC
Tibook 1Ghz 512meg RAM OS X.3.4, Live 4.0.1, Reason 2.5, N.I Komplete, Bidule, M-Audio Ozone, UC-33, Cecilia

hat

Post by hat » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:19 pm

dkonstrukt wrote:However, the fact that it's only a Rewire master makes it rather troublesome for me, and Live in Rewire slave mode cuts me off from my trusty AU/VST plug-ins, as well as not allowing recording at the same time.

Has anyone found a workaround for this issue, or possibly another program? I've tried using Logic, but gave up as my workflow is already highly streamlined with Live usage.
My sentiments exactly. I had bought Logic Pro hoping to have the do-it-all software but sold it soon after Live 4 was announced. Besides, it was the most ridiculously designed software I've ever seen and couldn't get motivated to learn it.

ReVision is def. a great help, but why is it that you can't use VST/AU when Live is in slave mode, this is ridiculous! I can't use Kontakt if I'm working to picture, unreal...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:11 pm

Check out plasticman.com.
There are still some technical difficulties. But from what i understand Richie Hawtin worked with Ableton and another software company on a way to trigger video with clips in Live.
Although i fancy a setup like that to, Apple is gonna introduce CoreVideo with tiger.
Wich means videounit's. Not su much info about them yet, but i think this means we are gonna be able to do lots of stuff alot easyer and cheaper.

dirtstyle

Post by dirtstyle » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:20 pm

sorry to say it, but pro tools is the shit for syncing video. its one of the only things i use it for anymore since i bought live.
ededitedit.

hat

Post by hat » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:30 pm

dirtstyle wrote:sorry to say it, but pro tools is the shit for syncing video. its one of the only things i use it for anymore since i bought live.
PT indeed does a much better job and, likewise, only for dense mixes and occasional video job do I even bother with ProTools. Unfortunately, Live ReWired into PT does not work that well for me, it's just so flakey and many stalls, interruptions, lost loop points, Mac beachball of death spinning endlessly, it's just not a pleasant experience, not on a new Powerbook G4 with 1GB of RAM.

drush

Post by drush » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:45 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Check out plasticman.com.
that would be plastikman.com

wonder why i never came across revision in the past... will check it out. looks useful for little stuff but doubt very much i'll stop using PTLE6.4 =)

dirtstyle

Post by dirtstyle » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:09 pm

hat wrote:
Unfortunately, Live ReWired into PT does not work that well for me, it's just so flakey and many stalls, interruptions, lost loop points, Mac beachball of death spinning endlessly
i can sympathize with you on that. it seems like every time i rewire reason and live into ProTools at the same time everything eventually crashes. i use a dual 1.8 g5 w/ 1.5 Gig ram and tend to think that the crash has more to do with a bug than a processor overload because its not like i'm really pushing it when it happens.
ededitedit.

hat

Post by hat » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:26 pm

dirtstyle wrote:i can sympathize with you on that. it seems like every time i rewire reason and live into ProTools at the same time everything eventually crashes. i use a dual 1.8 g5 w/ 1.5 Gig ram and tend to think that the crash has more to do with a bug than a processor overload because its not like i'm really pushing it when it happens.
Glad to know it's not just me then...

What's odd is that Reason ReWired into Live is one happy experience. Very stable, everything syncs beautifully, etc. I never tried both Reason and Live RW into PT, but Live + PT = creative interference.

Moonburnt

Post by Moonburnt » Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:10 am

nobbystylus wrote:yep... granted software do a little app called REVISION, which gives you a quicktime window, and lots of other clever things like timecode key moments etc.. exactly what you need..

ttp://www.grantedsw.com/
Anyone know of anything like this for windoze? ie, just a simple video player that can be synced to live for doing a/v work.

dkonstrukt

Post by dkonstrukt » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:55 am

hat wrote:ReVision is def. a great help, but why is it that you can't use VST/AU when Live is in slave mode, this is ridiculous! I can't use Kontakt if I'm working to picture, unreal...

i think the disabling of VST/AU issue for Live in Rewire slave mode has been touched upon somewhere(maybe in the beta forum) , but i don't remember where i saw it.

if i remember correctly the gist of it was that it's not impossible to allow VST/AU to work in Rewire slave mode, but tricky to implement. correct me if i'm wrong there.

personally i can't see myself working without my N.I plugs and importantly, Supatrigga! Wikkid lil' plug there. :wink:

cheers,
KC
Tibook 1Ghz 512meg RAM OS X.3.4, Live 4.0.1, Reason 2.5, N.I Komplete, Bidule, M-Audio Ozone, UC-33, Cecilia