do drum racks make guru redundant?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
snakes and ladders

do drum racks make guru redundant?

Post by snakes and ladders » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:51 am

Hey there

I'm yet to upgrade to 7 - I've had Guru for a while now and the main attraction to upgrading to 7 would be mapping drum racks the the DM5 via an Alesis Trigger IO and given its integration into Live, the question is - time to sell Guru?

it would cover the 6-7 upgrade
Mac 24", Remote SL, Live 6.05, Operator, Sampler, Metric Halo 2882, Focal Twin 6be

STRATEGY_510

Re: do drum racks make guru redundant?

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:03 am

snakes and ladders wrote:Hey there

I'm yet to upgrade to 7 - I've had Guru for a while now and the main attraction to upgrading to 7 would be mapping drum racks the the DM5 via an Alesis Trigger IO and given its integration into Live, the question is - time to sell Guru?

it would cover the 6-7 upgrade
I was thinking the same thing. But you have to factor in that Guru license transer is allowed but the CHARGE YOU. Unless I read something totally false, might run 50-75usd. I might keep Guru around for shits and giggles, it depends how well Drum Racks & Slicer (not to mention the sounds of Drum Manchines) work. May turn out not to be the be-all end-all Guru killer I'm hoping it is.

Buy Live 7 first, keep Guru for a bit. I like GUru,a dn since I haven't tapped into it's full potential yet, i'd hate to dismiss it, even though I think it's be all easier to make stoff do what I want if it's all native.

If it works super-duper, I might just go all-native on that ass, maybe even buy Sampler or one of the new synths.

or something.

STRATEGY

Seyser Koze

Post by Seyser Koze » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:47 am

I have upgraded to 7 and I have to be honest....I haven't used Guru since :oops:

snakes and ladders

Post by snakes and ladders » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:34 am

Thats what I was thinking Keyser it really looks to make Guru redundant.

I was lucky enough to buy it at half price just before the update and I DO like it but I hate dealing with computers as is so the less links in the chain to make tracks, the better. I originally got it because I was too strapped to buy an MPC and it seemed like a good alternative.
I was doing more producing for friends than my own music and now that I've switched to concentrating on my own music I'm wanting to streamline - and I'm a drummer so PLAYING 808 samples on an electronic kit has gotten me all giddy and I cant wait to try Drum Racks. I'd love to hear peoples stories about doing something similar.
Mac 24", Remote SL, Live 6.05, Operator, Sampler, Metric Halo 2882, Focal Twin 6be

Seyser Koze

Post by Seyser Koze » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:49 am

I would love to try it out on an electronic kit too, but at the moment I'm finger drumming on the Trigger Finger.

Drum Racks is just a brilliant thing, especially as you say tied up with Drum Machines.

I still have a soft spot for guru though and I suppose (might just be familiarity) but punching up a kit and an appropriate pattern on Guru takes me less time than in Live...but that might just be a matter of time.

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:27 pm

better wake up and smell the coffee, Guru is the best application of it's kind
period., and the drum racks and guru are so different there two diff animals
what you need to do is read the feature list of the latest guru free upgrade and ask yourself how the hell you will accomplish those things in live. if all you're doing is slicing a drumloop to some pads, then you never needed guru in the first place, but I repeat check out the feature list. guru is a monster. what other drum slicer do you know that has 8 engines and randomization on almost every parameter of all of those 8 engines?

and that's just one rediculous feature., if features were diaharea then guru would definitely have the shits

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:35 pm

yea, what EgAD said. guru is so much more than drum racks. its the whole package. i've built whole tracks with it in standalone. all the built-in fx, groove functions, round robin/random triggering of layers, randomiser slider etc - all are amazing features, but if you're only using guru as a sample player then yea, get rid of it and get stuck in to drum racks.

jamester

Post by jamester » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:32 pm

I also have and use Guru, and have felt similarly. However, I only use Guru as a basic drum sampler mostly, and don't get into the layered engines and whatnot. Depends on what music you're making, really.

Basically the two have been segregated; Drum Racks in Live obviously, and Guru in Reaper. The three "issues" (feature requests really) I have with Guru are most likely all going to be taken care of in version 2, so I'm keeping it around. But until then, these things are accomplished in the Drum Racks.

They are:
- More than one Insert effect per pad, and improved effects
- Able to load a Rex loop onto only one pad for triggering
- Improved GUI, with the sequencer and browser able to be hidden for those who don't use them, and bigger pads with more info on them (like M/S/sample name) so you don't have to keep going to different places like the sequencer and the Edit view all the time for basic control.
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:14 pm

Until the Abes make a step sequencer with groove control the answer is no.

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:09 am

I just purchased Guru today. I own Live 7 and really like the drum racks, but Guru is just sick!!!!!!!

CM

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:11 am

it looks like guru might get an updated drum synth added to it as well, http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopi ... b356b6d492
originally to be called drum nine fxpansion may drop the idea and put the features into guru