Quicktime Movie support

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
wildstar

Quicktime Movie support

Post by wildstar » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:16 pm

call me crazy, but QT support would make my day. i do a lot of film scoring, and at the moment i really can't use Live for that - no QT movie support.

sure i can use Live slaved to Pro Tools, and run the QT from Pro Tools - but i'm looking for the ultimate one-stop solution for my scoring and personal music projects. right now i use any combination of Pro Tools, Reason, and Digital Performer.

i want to use Live - and Live only. give me real control surface support (Mackie Control, HUI, etc.), REX support, and Quicktime and i would be a Live user for life.

so many of the features asked for in this forum are for dedicated live-performance people, and that's a great thing. but i'd like to see Ableton also try to attract film composers, producers, and other professional users. and we need features like the ones i listed.

thanks for listening, Ableton. you're making some amazing software - and i've only used the demo!
"I canna' change the laws of physics, Captain!"

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:18 pm

Er, have you looked at ReVision?

http://www.grantedsw.com/revision/

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:15 pm

I agree with a Live control surface support (a good idea), but not with video support... i think it might compromise the ashtonising performance of Live...

wildstar

Post by wildstar » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:39 am

buzzcock wrote:Er, have you looked at ReVision?

http://www.grantedsw.com/revision/
hey thanks for the heads-up! i had no idea about this program. for $30, it just solved a major problem for me. scratch QT off of my Live wish list.

but that still leaves control surface support and REX drag-and-drop!

rock on

buzzlegs

Post by buzzlegs » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:35 pm

There is a BIG problem with ReVision though!!, you can't use it as a rewire slave, it has to be the master which means you can't use midi and/or vst plug ins :(

wildstar

Post by wildstar » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:54 pm

do you mean that if i use Revision as the Rewire master, i can't use MIDI or VST plugs in Live or Reason? that's nuts! did i misunderstand you?

thanks for the info.

buzzlegs

Post by buzzlegs » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:08 pm

nope you didn't misunderstand me, you can't use midi or your vsti's in live when using ReVision

hat

Post by hat » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:44 pm

Yup, it's true.

I use ReVision+Live quite a lot and it's shocking that I can't use Kontakt with this setup. ReVision has helped (I also score commercials and films) but it's not the most stable app, it has it's shortcomings.

Feature requests are so subjective...

I don't care for REX support (1-my least favorite Reason module, 2- I haven't used Recycle in about 2 years now, I do it all in Live). I also don't care for Control Support, but I could see liking if I tried it.

I'm still for QT support in Live. I'd rather do it all there than use ReVision. Besides, VJ's and live video shows are quite popular these days, at least here in NYC, the ability to do it all in one program can bring so many new possibilities to some. Imagine all the media composers out there (film, ads, presentations, tv, theater, etc.) who would fall for Live in a wink, as opposed to using Soundtrack or Logic!

Perhaps there could be an option to disable it for those who don't need it, letting them carry on without another feature to take up more cpu...?

wildstar

Post by wildstar » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:44 pm

hat wrote:Yup, it's true.

ReVision has helped (I also score commercials and films) but it's not the most stable app, it has it's shortcomings.

I'm still for QT support in Live. I'd rather do it all there than use ReVision. Besides, VJ's and live video shows are quite popular these days, at least here in NYC, the ability to do it all in one program can bring so many new possibilities to some. Imagine all the media composers out there (film, ads, presentations, tv, theater, etc.) who would fall for Live in a wink, as opposed to using Soundtrack or Logic!

Perhaps there could be an option to disable it for those who don't need it, letting them carry on without another feature to take up more cpu...?
some great ideas. that's so disappoitning about Revision - i got so excited about it when i checked out the link.

i'm also based in new york city, and a lot of media compsoers like myself are looking for a program that encourages creativity, fast inspiration, and fun the way Live does. i'm ready to fall for Live in a wink, as you said - but not without a couple more Logic-Pro Tools-Digital Performer-style features.

not all the Big-Boy features - i don't want to see another bloated giant like DP. but just some!

snapshot

Not a total loss

Post by snapshot » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:43 pm

I realize that now that Live supports VSTi's, using Revision has a shortcoming that wasn't there in Live 3, but I still use it to get my rough music lined up in my timeline and then go back in and do all the VST finish work!!!
Not perfect, but it sure beats all the other non-existing solutions, huh?

Jim

majestic

Post by majestic » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:34 am

wildstar wrote:that's so disappoitning about Revision
Yeah, sure is. OK, my wishlist is revised then:

1. Quicktime support
2. REX support

who

Post by who » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:10 pm

If Ableton is going to support QT, PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE! support Windows Media for us PC users.

Oh, and while your at it, please add surround support. :wink:

ulidjan

Post by ulidjan » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:14 am

on my wishlist too:
Quicktimesupport

thanks

u
computer: laptop powerbook g4, 667Mhz, 768 MB
Live version: Live 4.1
Native Instruments Komplete 2
soundcard: motu 828mk2
midi-interface: uc 33 / motu 828mk2
mikrokorg
e-guitar & various analog guitar fx boxes

bonsak

Post by bonsak » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:10 pm

Quicktime support would be great!
I really miss that in Live.

Regards
Bonsak

gfisch

Workaround with Soundtrack

Post by gfisch » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:14 pm

bonsak wrote:Quicktime support would be great!
I really miss that in Live.

Regards
Bonsak
I have not tried it (I could - I have Soundtrack) - but could you not let Soundtrack run as ReWire slave and have the quicktimemovie displayed in there while Live does it's thing (with all VSTs) ?
After all Soundtrack is made for synching video with sound.

greetings

gfisch
G5 2x2 / HDSP 9632 / PowerCore / NMG2 / BlueSky MediaDesk 2.1
Live 4 / Faderfox LV1 / Virus PC / PPG Wave 2.V / Albino2 / Operator
MachFive / Athmosphere / Stylus RMX / Trilogy / Wired / Morphology
Ozone / Inflator / TransMod / Antares Filter