W h o h a s a U S B 4 2 8 w i t h L I V E?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SongCarver

W h o h a s a U S B 4 2 8 w i t h L I V E?

Post by SongCarver » Sun Feb 10, 2002 11:20 pm

hi there

I'm interested in finding out your experiences with a tascam US 428.

Q.'s

.How much of the controller surface works with LIVE?

.What is latency like (ms)?

.Do you take it places to play/DJ?

thanks
-Keith

Filthyape

Post by Filthyape » Mon Feb 11, 2002 3:42 pm

I am currently using the Tascam US-428 as my I/O. As far as I can tell the control surface has yet to be integrated for use with Live, although I would expect (and hope) that Tascam will eventually decide to support it.

I've experienced no latency issues running Live with the US-428.
Works perfect.

For live use I'd much rather use the Oxygen 8 controller as I am not terribly interested in traditional mixing scenarios while I'm performing. I only need my power book, a controller and a USB light (!) and I'm ready to go. This being said, once Tascam supports Live I'm sure the US-428 will be a workable mixing solution for live shows.

Keep your eyes on the Tascam US-428 download sections for info on Live support!

http://www.tascam.com/products/us428/downloads.cfm

Good luck

Ape

SongCarver

tell me more

Post by SongCarver » Mon Feb 11, 2002 10:55 pm

hey filthyape

thanks,

+ you're currently performing live right?

+ does the internal disk of the p'book handle the audio fine for you??

+ whats an 'oxygen 8', and is it supported by ableton?

+ is the USB light RECOMMENDED?

-K

jazze

Tascam428 USB with Live

Post by jazze » Sat Feb 16, 2002 7:37 pm

Hi,
I am a Tascam 428 USB interface user
and i use it with Reason, LogicAudio, Cubase
on PowerBoomG3/500Mhz .
Works well for controlling and recording.
I am trying to use it with Live since recentely :
its pretty easy to configure the MIDI faders remote control between Live and Tascam and some of the mute play buttons, i also use the keabord on my PowerBook to trigger certain functions in Live.
So it's fine BUT the Tascam 428 got only 1stereo output :( and it's impossible to use it for a seriose live DJ -ing "cause you need at least enother extra stereo output for Prelistening tne samples that you put on .
So, i am concidering bying the MOTU 828 FireWire audio interface and use Tascam only for MIDI remote control.

good luck-jazze

jazze

Tascam428 USB with Live

Post by jazze » Sat Feb 16, 2002 8:46 pm

i have the 828 and the us428. i was hoping that there would be a way to isolate the headphone out on the us428 for previewing clips, but i understand why it won't happen. that's when i got the 828. the 828 runs better for all my other apps (logic, etc..). it's the best audio interface i've come across (by far!). the us428 is now my desktop (pc) interface. i'm selling it to get another 828 because it causes some programs to misbehave!

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Sat Feb 16, 2002 11:28 pm

Jazze, is it possible to use the headphone out of the powerbok at the same time as the 428? Would Mac OS X's excellent audio routing make this possible??

ADMIN
?? do you know if this is possible?
jazze, how about the 828. How does that run?

Filthyape, can you tell me more about the Oxygen? How do you use it in LIVe?

thanks all,

-Keith

Filthyape

The Oxygen 8

Post by Filthyape » Mon Feb 18, 2002 4:58 pm

The Oxygen 8 is a small midi controller that not only is ultra portable, has Fat Boy-like knobs for controlling different soft synth features but also is a USB powered MIDI interface! It works perfectly with Live and is absolutely slamming for live performances.

How do I use it? Pretty straight forward-I assign loops to various keys and use the knobs to control the effect sends on certain channels. I also use it to control Reason which is slaved to Live via Rewire.

check it

http://www.midiman.com/products/midiman/oxygen8.php

SongCarver

taa

Post by SongCarver » Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:18 am

thanks filthyape,

the oxygen 8 looks great!

just what i need.

the link was useful, too...cheers

jnchrls

Post by jnchrls » Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:50 am

Hello, I'm using os 10.2 and I'm trying to set up my oxygen 8, I'd apreciate any advise on the best way to set it up.

I'm having trouble greating multiple banks with the knobs. Somewhere on this forum I saw a mention of using the Midi/select button and the Octave presets to access P-1 through P-5. When I do this, the settings don't change and the knobs stay on the same setting (10-1 etc;) How do I get knob 1 to transmit on 10-2 instead....

thanks

lowbot

Post by lowbot » Sat Sep 28, 2002 1:42 am

jnchris,

On your Oxy, if it says 'Octave/Presets' above the octave keys, you can do that. First, though, you must program each knob in each bank with its own 'program number' and 'midi channel' (using the Oxygen itself). It's very easy to do. I've made my knobs to be all on the same midi channel.

For instance, knob one in bank one is P1 on channel one. Knob two, bank one is P2, channel one.

Knob 1, bank TWO, is P9, channel one. Knob two, bank two, P10, channel one.

Then you can use Live to assign each one to a function...

Hope that helps...

-lowbot

jnchrls

Post by jnchrls » Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:47 am

Thanks Lowbot, I thought I could asign the banks by choosing One of the banks and then clicking on the faders in Live's MIDI mode. I should have known it wasn't that easy :wink: .

I'll report back as to my success.....[/i]