Stuff in Live you wish you figured out a long time ago

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
panners

Post by panners » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:24 am

don't know if this was said before but using the search function when you are looking for plugins saves a lot of headache and yes this should definitely be a sticky

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:26 am

that if you assign the pitch control parameter to a midi cc you can then select any clips and control its pitch using the same cc. works great for realtime manipulation in a mouseless enviroment :D

acroberts

Post by acroberts » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:22 pm

rozling wrote:I suppose I'd better post a Stuff I Wish I'd Figured Out A Long Time Ago - for me it's these bad boys (below). I don't know why, I'm pretty sure there's a keyboard shortcut set up for them but these buttons are gold for me - all they do is swap from Notes to Envelopes view, previously I'd been going down to the show/hide boxes... mmm so much better now.

Very helpful - thanks for the tip!

Mine recent fave discovery is holding down the shift key while dragging automation points over other points to overwrite them.

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:59 pm

acroberts wrote:Mine recent fave discovery is holding down the shift key while dragging automation points over other points to overwrite them.
8O 8) Now that is really something I wish I figured out a looooong time ago. Thank you!

condra

Post by condra » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:18 am

acroberts wrote: Mine recent fave discovery is holding down the shift key while dragging automation points over other points to overwrite them.
:D Cheers!

Best thread ever!

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:54 am

acroberts wrote:
rozling wrote:I suppose I'd better post a Stuff I Wish I'd Figured Out A Long Time Ago - for me it's these bad boys (below). I don't know why, I'm pretty sure there's a keyboard shortcut set up for them but these buttons are gold for me - all they do is swap from Notes to Envelopes view, previously I'd been going down to the show/hide boxes... mmm so much better now.

Very helpful - thanks for the tip!

Mine recent fave discovery is holding down the shift key while dragging automation points over other points to overwrite them.
:o i didnt know that.

stubba

Post by stubba » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:03 am

make wrote:entering bpms in the scene launch column [on the far righthand side] will change Lives overall bpm when clicked.
Just realised that therefore if you select the entire scene and do a Command - E to remove all stop buttons you can change the bpm without stopping what's currently playing.
Finally!

I already have a knob on my Axiom assigned to the tempo, and a pad assigned to Tap.

Hmm - maybe I'm tempo hopping a bit too much...

djbambam

Post by djbambam » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:13 pm

I just found out that you can actually extract chains out of a drum rack, although I'm sure it's in the Ableton demo video on Drum Racks.

weepsta

groove trick

Post by weepsta » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:06 am

If you are fond of a rhythm that doesn't match the grid, adjust the warp markers so it plays perfect with the grid, then ( in arrangement view) in the sample box click the Slave button to activate this clip as the master tempo. you can loop this clip throughout the song and mute it. This will adjust the tempo of the song dynamically as your track plays. Every track that has warp enabled will be warped to the rhythm of the track that is setting the master tempo.

bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:30 am

How to select different Racks in your live set using automap

(in this example, using the Novation Remote SL)
4.33 wrote: by tapping twice on the bottom row of the rightmost buttons (the Arm buttons) you can switch from track to track and, behold, from Rack to Rack!!
I checked it out and it works!

On all tracks it will select the first Rack or device - though strangely (perhaps usefully) on midi tracks it will jump to select the instrument rather than any midi devices before it

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:07 pm

that pressing enter when you have a rack selected will show/hide that particular racks devices.

attackmode

Post by attackmode » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:50 pm

Removing all instruments and midi effects from a midi track and then dropping an audio clip on it will transform it into an audio track retaining all midi mappings.

This can also be done the other way around.
Thinkpad T60, M-Audio Audiophile, BCR2000, padKontrol, Axiom 49, Klein + Hummel O-300

bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:41 am

friend_kami wrote:that pressing enter when you have a rack selected will show/hide that particular racks devices.
On mine it activates the hot-swap... ?

attackmode

Post by attackmode » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:19 pm

To get a perfect copy of an effect, instrument or drum rack cell you can ctrl+drag and drop them.
Thinkpad T60, M-Audio Audiophile, BCR2000, padKontrol, Axiom 49, Klein + Hummel O-300

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:32 pm

stubba wrote:
make wrote:entering bpms in the scene launch column [on the far righthand side] will change Lives overall bpm when clicked.
Just realised that therefore if you select the entire scene and do a Command - E to remove all stop buttons you can change the bpm without stopping what's currently playing.
Finally!

I already have a knob on my Axiom assigned to the tempo, and a pad assigned to Tap.

Hmm - maybe I'm tempo hopping a bit too much...
That is EXCELLENT. Thanks, boys! I didn't know it was that easy 8)
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |