Slicing in Live?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
TekMonki

Slicing in Live?

Post by TekMonki » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:47 am

I know Live has warp markers, but a friend was telling me that you could "slice" as well (recycle style)?

He said Ctrl + E would do it . . .but that's for renaming tracks.

I think he's on the crackpipe, or am I missing something? The manual didn't turn up anything about slicing.

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:02 am

slice?

more like a protools split.

in the arrange mode, open a track up. assuming it's got a clip in it, click somewhere, and press command+e

voila. two clips.

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:08 am

Ctrl E renames in the session view......but in the arrange view it will slice the audio file at the selected point...this is what your friend is talkling about.....but clips in effect are slices anyways...big ones small ones tiny ones whatever size you want ones......used to use recycle loads for reason and logic....but nothing beats Live for cut up madness and speed of working and since Live 4 arrived it's been so engrossing I honestly haven't booted anything else......

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:19 pm

Or........
Say you have a loop, make different clips from different segments of the loop.
And then drag the clips into the impulse device.
there you go.
Another way of doing some rexlike stuff takes a little more practise and reading.
Again chop up a loop into different clips. and connect them with the follow actions. Depending on how much you understand from this feature, the more wacky shit you can pull out of your hat.....

sps1

Post by sps1 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:36 pm

Can Live export samples that are chopped up as a group of individual wav files or does each sample edit have to be bounced down one at a time? This would make disqualify Live from taking the place of Recycle, for instance, as a sample editor.

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:40 am

Sps 1......no Live does not do this.....but it does not seek to replace Recycle. Recycle's primary function is to produce rex files for use in other programs where they may be further manipulated. It was and still is a powerful tool....eg for generating templates to quickly lock grooves and all manner of other jiggery pokery. But Live.....well Live is a different and imho way more liberating creative and FUN beast. Seriously....it's kind of a waste of time to point out things that it can't do when there is so so so so so much more on offer. As for denigrating its status as a sample editor......well that's just plain daft....no other single program gives you as much control over a sample...and the beauty is it's all non destructive. You can turn a single loop into hundreds of new sounds,grooves etc without ever having to open another application or disturbing the integrity of the original file on disk. I don't know if you have the software or whether you have seriously started to explore its capabilities.....but if you haven't grab the demo now, read some of the tips on this forum, quit the comparisons and use it for what it was intended...........hell you can still boot up recycle from time to time to to remind yourself of the good ol' days if you like....

Peas

M

hyerstay

Post by hyerstay » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:43 am

sps1 wrote:Can Live export samples that are chopped up as a group of individual wav files or does each sample edit have to be bounced down one at a time? This would make disqualify Live from taking the place of Recycle, for instance, as a sample editor.
This is possible in a limited fashion. Use Hoffman2K's advice about dropping bits into Impulse. Then you can save the Impulse kit and get those samples. If you want them right with your project, save your set self-contained.

jh

sps1

Post by sps1 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:51 am

Mammulex:
Actually I was not trying to denigrate Live at alll. I own and love the software, so far there is nothing else I have found that can do what Live does. However I use recycle to chop up samples for my MPC 4000 and I was hoping that Live could actually run as sample editor for my 4000 because it can do more of what I need it to do as far as sample editing and mangling. I wish there was a way I could export many clips at a time though so it would be a viable alternative to recycle but I guess it's not. Bouncing down samples to disk one at a time is a little too time consuming for that use.

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:05 am

SPS 1.....Apologies for misinterpreting your thrust.....

peace

M

gaspode

As a quickie

Post by gaspode » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:10 pm

You can use the clip loop/warp mode... make a selection, and then drag this into impulse. It isn't perfect, and you may need to play with the start/decay times and such, but it does allow you to pull a beat apart and get the song down in impulse.

Hopefully this will be something that is looked at a bit more and addressed.

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:34 pm

Mammalux said "jiggery pokery"

that my friends is nothing short of awesome.

sps1

Post by sps1 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:42 pm

What I can do is trigger Live with my Mpc and use my time streched/ mangled samples within Live/impulse but sequenced with the MPC. I can still use Recycle to chop drums and export to MPC as I see fit.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:23 am

If you were able to save Impulse kits WITH their sounds as aiffs/wav that'd be a great way to export clips. This ability plus an MPC usb'd to your computer would be a mighty handy beat-programmer!

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:01 am

you can set recycle or (my case) beat creator as your sample editor in lives prefferences, then mangle a clip to your liking in live and then open the clip up in recycle by pressing edit in the clip properties do what you want to the clip in recycle and save/export .......cake
for the love of Live

highdropod

Post by highdropod » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:25 pm

I think we'll be seeing some sort of slicer addition to Impulse (and ?) Simpler in future versions of Live. I still use Recycle to slice and then create Impulse (or Battery) sets out of the REX files for the time being, but if they ever add this feature, it will save quite a bit of time spent slicing/exporting/and importing. This is the only feature that I feel is lacking in Live, everything else is virtually perfect.