Korg esx-1 or Elektron machinedrum?!?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aber

Korg esx-1 or Elektron machinedrum?!?

Post by aber » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:56 am

Hi,
Which is better? One is a "drum machine" the other a "sampler".
I need something that lets me to create "spontanelty". I don't like wasting time editing a kick, a snare ecc. for hours on a computer. I need something to turn on and play!
Somebody says that Elektron is limited, because you can't upload samples on it....but its sound is better, because korg plays samples (as a software) and elektron has a sound generator....
There is another problem: korg is 550 € ... Elektron 1190 € ... 8O ....
What do you suggest?

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:59 am

if you have the money go for the elektron!

superb machine, has a sampling option too...

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:04 pm

The Machinedrum is fantastic. Great control, and sounds FAR better than the Korg.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

b0unce

Re: Korg esx-1 or Elektron machinedrum?!?

Post by b0unce » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:23 pm

aber wrote:Hi,
Which is better? One is a "drum machine" the other a "sampler".
I need something that lets me to create "spontanelty". I don't like wasting time editing a kick, a snare ecc. for hours on a computer. I need something to turn on and play!
Somebody says that Elektron is limited, because you can't upload samples on it....but its sound is better, because korg plays samples (as a software) and elektron has a sound generator....
There is another problem: korg is 550 € ... Elektron 1190 € ... 8O ....
What do you suggest?

you can upload samples to the elektron MD UW , 2mb worth. enough for drum hits.
That model is even more expensive...if you got the cash, there's alot of weird & wonderful sounds you can generate from the MDUW pretty easily. You can always buy a used MDUW for something like 800 - 900 euro

I have a korg es-1 too (not esx-1), they're cheap-as-chips these days on the ebay. lots of fun, sounds nice. If I were in your shoes I'd pick one of these up, and keep saving till I had enough for an MDuw. accept no substitute!
spreader of butter

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:39 pm

I had an ES-1 and it was a great little box, I still curse the day I sold it.

I've never touched a real Machinedrum, but featurewise they're two completely different beasts... I think the MD will do everything the Korg does. Unless you're strictly after its interface (which is really its strong point, for all its barse ackward-ness), the Korg will feel very limited in comparison. This my or may not be a bad thing..
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

aber

Post by aber » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:22 pm

Thanks!!
Now I have to choose MD basic or MD UW....(400 € difference, I wait for something used).

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:09 pm

If you're getting a Machinedrum, you HAVE to get the UW version IMO, especially since you were considering the ESX-1. The UW version is without a doubt worth the extra money, it lets you do so many cool things. I debated long and hard too about this when I was getting ready to buy, but luckily I had a friend who had one and he refused to let me get it without the UW aspect. So glad I did, it really opens up some of the more interesting aspects of the machine.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:11 pm

Here's one for sale from an Elektron user I know:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0203455081

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:18 pm

aber wrote:Thanks!!
Now I have to choose MD basic or MD UW....(400 € difference, I wait for something used).
did you know that there is a MKII version of all the elektron machines since the end of last year ?

MD UW mkII ..has has some nice improvements. like less noise on the ins & outs, 64 step patterns, 2.5mb sample time, more ram machines....

worth considering.
spreader of butter

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:23 pm

That's the one I got. Love it.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:32 pm

<--- I hate you ^
spreader of butter

zebastian21

Post by zebastian21 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:46 pm

Tarekith wrote:If you're getting a Machinedrum, you HAVE to get the UW version IMO, especially since you were considering the ESX-1. The UW version is without a doubt worth the extra money, it lets you do so many cool things. I debated long and hard too about this when I was getting ready to buy, but luckily I had a friend who had one and he refused to let me get it without the UW aspect. So glad I did, it really opens up some of the more interesting aspects of the machine.
2mb seems like very limited capacity, can you tell me how many 1 single shots you can have with that memory? or how many seconds of audio loop you can record?

Wouldnt it be better to use something like logic's esx24, ultrabeat, stylus in combination with the machinedrum sps-1 ? I just dont see the point of paying more for the 2mb.
I want to know from your perspective as user, thank you
stop talking.....start working...:)
Macbook pro. Logic pro/Live. Access Virus Ti. Genelec 8040. my bread and butter :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:01 pm

You have to NOT look at it like any other sampler, but as a drum machine more than anything to appreciate the 2MB. The MKI MD's let you store up to 32 samples in that 2MB, and the MKII's let you store up to 48 I believe. Also, the MD only let's you use 12bit samples (the C6 app that transfers samples to the MD converts them for you), so that helps as well. So it's very easy to fit all 32 samples you might want in there IMO. For instance, in my MD I have 4 kicks, 4 snares, 4 open high hats, 4 closed high hats, a ride, crash, 3 bass samples, a couple chord samples, 6 synth samples, and a couple random samples in there, and I'm only using half the sample memory available.

You definitely can't compare it to something like EXS24 though, entirely different kinds of samplers. It's hard to explain because on paper 2MB looks tiny, but once you get it and start using it, you realize it's a lot actually. Provided of course you're not looking for an MPC replacement. You need to think of it more like an old school drum machine like the emu SP1200, which is inded where they got the idea for the 2MB from.

The other benefit of the UW option is the RAM machines. These let you record external audio, or the main outs of the MD internally, and then do all sorts of neat audio tricks with the audio. For instance I use my MD in my DJ sets as a loop sampler sometimes, capturing up to 2 bars of audio and then tweaking it, retriggering it, resampling it further, etc. RAM machines are LOADS of fun.

Here's a Tips and Tricks guide I made for the MD, it might give you an idea of how much depth this machine has:

http://tarekith.com/assets/machinedrum_ ... tricks.htm

It's really hard to try and tell someone why they should get the UW option when it seems so expensive, and yet 95% of Machinedrum users will say it's essential. Elektron has approached the idea of drum sampling from a really unique perspective, and once people start to play with it and 'get it', it'll really open up loads of new doors for your sounds.

aber

Post by aber » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:31 pm

Thank you very much, but I had to buy a MD mkII not UW, not enough money for UW....
I have a question for you: is it possible to control "Impulse" via MD? If I could do this I can expand my MD with samples running on Impulse (and tweak them on MD...)
Thanks.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:12 am

Yes, you can use the MIDI Machines on the MD to control Impulse, not sure how much control you'll have though. The MD isn't really a control surface like that. Bummer on the UW part man, you shoudl have kept saving, you're going to regret that one...