mac crash when scanning vst at program start HELP HELP

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
soup

mac crash when scanning vst at program start HELP HELP

Post by soup » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:30 pm

I have no idea what the problem is, last night a friend (who knows live much better but mac's much less) attempted to install some third party stuff and either moved a folder or told live to search the entire library for vst, now when I try to start up live it always, always freezes on the step scanning for vst plugins. please help

cids

Post by cids » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:04 am

Disable your plug-ins to isolate the problem... one of your new installed plug-ins crashes Live!
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

peterk

Post by peterk » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:53 am

try deleting your preferences file. this happened to me when i pointed the "custom vst" folder to the root or something. deleting the preferences file fixed the whole thing (though you'll have to probably re-choose your skin and such minor things)

jok

Post by jok » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:38 pm

Hi Soup,

there´s either a conflict with one of the installed plug-ins, or you might have accidentally set a wrong custom VST directory (i.e. your entire root directory) - both cases can lead to booting problems.
Either way, deleting the file preferences.cfg resets Live so it boots without scanning plug-ins.

Please use the Finder to browse to this directory:

user/library/preferences/ableton/live X.X.X (your version of Live)
Please delete the file preferences.cfg out of all Live subfolders in that directory.
It should start now.

Please contact support@ableton.com if you need further assistance.

Jörg Klußmann
Ableton Support
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

zoomeister

Re: mac crash when scanning vst at program start HELP HELP

Post by zoomeister » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:44 am

have the exact same problem tried uninstalling and installing a few times even deleted all my vsts and tried a different version of live and also deleted the preference.cfg and still having the same problem!

so frustrated!!!

help highly appreciated

abletonmeraklisi

Post by abletonmeraklisi » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:57 pm

I have same problem on my mac.

did you find any solution for this.

custom VSTs ????

zoomeister

Post by zoomeister » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:17 pm

abletonmeraklisi wrote:I have same problem on my mac.

did you find any solution for this.

custom VSTs ????
yea apparently when you intall vsts it makes folders in more than one place so just deleting the main files from application folder or whatever folder they're placed at doesn't do it what I did was I went through all my folders on my hard disc manually and deleted everything that I though was related to ableton and vsts (NI VSTs in particular) and deleted them. and then reinstalled ableton again and made sure I don't specify any custom folder for VSTs cos mac unlike PC finds every VSTs installed that works without having to identify it the live.. so if it doesn't recognize the VST then there is something else wrong with the plugin don't force live to see it coz it sees it just doesn't wanna talk to it... it was a pain in the ass but it finally worked. hope that helps :)

abletonmeraklisi

Post by abletonmeraklisi » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:50 pm

thank you
I will try this.

I wonder that how can I learn mac's folder system to uninstall any progrma completely.

Tiza

Post by Tiza » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:10 pm

Hello, im under live 8.1.1 and snow leopard.. and when i try to activate the vst ableton crashes... i delete the .cfg file and doesnt works.... any idea ? thanks

ziondave

Post by ziondave » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:20 pm

@abletonmeraklisi

This will help to delete programs completely, although I haven't tried it out yet myself :)

http://lifehacker.com/5547313/trashme-i ... ehacker%29

PeteLong

Post by PeteLong » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:44 pm

i had this problem and deleted the preferences folder and it worked cheers guys!!! :D