Reducing audio file sizes while keeping quality

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
billdiz

Reducing audio file sizes while keeping quality

Post by billdiz » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:54 am

hello to you all out there!
I have a little problem which i hope is easily solved!
Currently a 4 minute song through ableton live is around 20MB per file once rendered to disk in CD quality 44100 sample rate. I really need to work out how to reduce these file sizes to about 6MB or so for myspace and related artist sites without loosing quality .......everyone else seems to be able to do it except me!? now how do they keep the file size so low with the fantastic sound quality???
I would love anyone sideways if they can answer this for me, cos dam its annoying me not being able to work it out!
Got thee essentials; alcoholic bung eye 3.0 , social undies 9.1 and the essential kink in my getup.....YO!

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:12 am

For myspace and the like you need to convert your files to mp3, most sites require them to be encoded at 128 kbps. That should give you files that are aprox. 1 MB per minute. Keep in mind you do lose some quality when converting to mp3.

iTunes does it free, but most people don't seem to like how it works on windows. For windows here's a list of apps that use LAME mp3 encoder:

http://lame.sourceforge.net/links.php#Windows

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

xxxmorphicxxx

Post by xxxmorphicxxx » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:13 am

I don't understand how it would be possible to not be able to compress 20 mb wav to 6 MB or so. I frequently render 50 MB wavs into mp3's at 320 kpbs using only the stock windows audio converter, and they end up around 8 MB.

EDIT: Ah, I didn't realize the original poster wasn't already converting to mp3.

furrybum

Post by furrybum » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:21 am

If it's for myspace then it's going to get compressed to hell by them anyway. I swear that whenever I've uploaded stuff it goes online and sounds mega-low-res (Thats my technical term for it).

Try and preserve audio quality all you like but once they have it it'll sound like poo!
Macbook (An old white one...WITH FIREWIRE!!!!!)
Tascam Fireone
Spongefork
Logic Studio
Tassman 4
Live 7

http://www.myspace.com/darklightuk