dell

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:15 pm

Sorry. I just assumed laptop.

Desktop? Definitely 7200 rpm hd. No question. But this has little to do with plugin or VST performance (unless you're using a sampler that's streaming from disk) but everything to do with audio track count.

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:44 pm

Ajbbklyn wrote:
mja wrote:
Yhtomit wrote:Folks, Windows XP does not recognize more than 2GB of RAM. So you might wanna get a computer with 2GB instead

I dont know about that man, :roll: i was on the dell web site there earlier and it gave the 4gig ram as an option with windows xp
Windows XP can be modified through an edit of the boot.ini file:

http://www.gehrytechnologies.com/catia/ ... memory.htm

You can make 3GB available for running programs and the other 1GB is used mostly for the kernel memory.
A couple problems with that;

1) that's XP Professional only
2) Even though the OS can utilize the RAM, some apps won't (any of the NI sample based products until the most recent updates, for example). If they see any more than 2 GB of RAM for the user, they send back "insufficient memory" flags because they aren't large address aware.

ew

mja

Post by mja » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:19 pm

Is windows xp professional the same as xp home edition when it comes to compatibility with software,ive never actually used xp professional and as far as i know dell are given out xp professional...

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:45 pm

mja wrote:Is windows xp professional the same as xp home edition when it comes to compatibility with software,ive never actually used xp professional and as far as i know dell are given out xp professional...
Yup.

Ajbbklyn

Post by Ajbbklyn » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:53 pm

ewistrand wrote:
Ajbbklyn wrote:
mja wrote:
I dont know about that man, :roll: i was on the dell web site there earlier and it gave the 4gig ram as an option with windows xp
Windows XP can be modified through an edit of the boot.ini file:

http://www.gehrytechnologies.com/catia/ ... memory.htm

You can make 3GB available for running programs and the other 1GB is used mostly for the kernel memory.
A couple problems with that;

1) that's XP Professional only
2) Even though the OS can utilize the RAM, some apps won't (any of the NI sample based products until the most recent updates, for example). If they see any more than 2 GB of RAM for the user, they send back "insufficient memory" flags because they aren't large address aware.

ew
I believe the workaround in that instance would be to edit the boot.ini with the Physical Address Extension switch: /PAE This might enable NI to see more than 2GB RAM.

Also, the /3GB switch works for XP Home. I have a dual boot system with Home and Professional on separate physical drives. Task Manager shows the appropriate amount of memory available in each instance of the OS.

Either way, he's still better off with XP as opposed to Vista.
Andy Baum
(nicht der österreichische Musiker)
http://andy-baum.com

mja

Post by mja » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:37 pm

And thats that :D

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:14 pm

Sorry, got to add this in, why would anybody buying a desktop for XP buy a prebuilt system??? I would so talk to my geek friends, and have them help me assemble the baddest home built PC I could afford!
Hell if I was a Windows user I would have it rack mounted, and use it live. None of that is that expensive any more, and almost everybody knows a PC guru.

Seriously, the one serious PC over mac advantage (custom built rack mount system for audio) and you're going to pass it up??

As people here know I love Logic, but I think if I ever get rid of this G5, I'll build a rack mount PC! 8)

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:56 pm

Buying a custom made machine is cool but try it for yourself - buying a tower case, PSU, fans, motherboard, CPU, HDD. Audio and video cards (assuming you're not using cheap integrated into the motherboard stuff), DVD writer, RAM, etc, buying the o/s, keyboard, mouse, etc.

You're going to have to drop quite a bit extra compared to buying a Dell, HP, Toshiba etc. Then you have to pay some dude to put it all together or spend hours doing it yourself.

I agree with the concept though - if it's workable and you can afford it you can build a kick ass machine the likes of which a box manufacturer cannot compare with. This argument also applies to Apple too. Traditionally they have been pretty closed systems beyond expanding Ram and more recently graphics cards and some internal components in the Mac Pro towers. For the money a Mac Pro costs, you could definately build an amazing kick ass PC. Although you could argue that the strengths of a Mac lay in it's operating system of course and given there are no bootcamp in reverse options.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.