click track? how to?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Grahambo!

click track? how to?

Post by Grahambo! » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:24 am

How do I make a click track?

And how do I set it so it ONLY comes out my headphone jack on my Presonus Firestudio Project?

stonee

Post by stonee » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:35 am

turn on the metranome.

Grahambo!

Post by Grahambo! » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:59 am

but that will come out the PA speakers, too, correct? how can I just sent the metronome to my headphones or whatever?

emptypond

Post by emptypond » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:40 am

just tap your foot, works for me everytime

Grahambo!

Post by Grahambo! » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:50 am

look, I know I can tap my foot, but this is for MY DRUMMER. We are tracking. A click track would be helpful so the samples that launch in the song are on beat, or relatively on beat.

I hear all the time that drummers use click tracks. All I want to know is HOW that is done. That's all. No need for sarcasm.

emptypond

Post by emptypond » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:57 am

oh, well in that case... if you must use abletons built in metronome, you can replace the boring tick sound with any sample u wish by browsing to your
..\resources\misc\metronome\samples\ folder and replacing the 2 audio files with whatever sounds you wish, making sure you use the same filenames..
altho usually its easier to juse use an audio loop as your click track.., just set the output of that channel to something other then whatever the master channel is set to.. (metronome outputs to "cue out"...)

synnack

Post by synnack » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:02 am

as emptypond says, you can just set a different "cue out" than your master out and give your "cue out" to your drummer.

Then he will have the metronome and not the main PA.

BUT, the browser preview also goes out of that "cue out". So if you will be clicking around and want to preview things in the browser on stage, that will hit him too. In that case you can just make a simple hi hat loop on each quarter note and set that track to a different output that you send to his/her headphones.

If you dont' care about browser preview, just use "cue out" as mentioned.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud