so what is the consensus on Analog?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

so what is the consensus on Analog?

Post by forge » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:10 pm

I really hate to say it, but I'm quite disappointed with Analog

I already have Pro-53 and I really dont want anything from Analog

I might have wanted it if it was just an oscilator and we could have the filters and envelopes from Simpler, but as it is it's no where near intuitive enough for a 'virtual analog' synth

sweetjesus

Re: so what is the consensus on Analog?

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:21 pm

forge wrote:I really hate to say it, but I'm quite disappointed with Analog

I might have wanted it if it was just an oscilator and we could have the filters and envelopes from Simpler, but as it is it's no where near intuitive enough for a 'virtual analog' synth
what are u missing from it?

ive been using it all over my tracks lately for edgier tones i cant get elsewhere...

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:30 pm

It's OK.

Nothing really special, given that I own Zebra 2, Massive and Analog Factory, all 3 of which are amazing synths. If you don't rack it up too much, I find it lighter on CPU load than those 3, especially Analog factory and Massive (but that has an eco mode which helps).

I have used it on a couple of tracks to good effect, it still has a newness about it and I don't think AAS's original synth was as popular as Zebra, Analog Factory or Massive, because I hear a lot of music where I can tell it was a Zebra patch or a Massive patch etc, so that works in Analog's favour.

I have to say though, that for my needs, Tension and Electric are much more valuable to me.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

forge

Re: so what is the consensus on Analog?

Post by forge » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:36 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
forge wrote:I really hate to say it, but I'm quite disappointed with Analog

what are u missing from it?

ive been using it all over my tracks lately for edgier tones i cant get elsewhere...
well, owning Pro-53 doesnt leave me with a feeling of lack for VA synths, and as a simple example just writing one note in a MIDI clip then hotswapping through the presets then just replacing it with Pro-53 and doing the same it is immediately apparent

I just will grab Pro-53 more

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:50 pm

I'll buy Analog from you.

SMonk

Post by SMonk » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:05 pm

Pretty nice sounds. Unremarkable features. Weak modulation options (but hey, at least the mod wheel does SOMETHING, which is a step up from Operator...). Bad interface (as with all of the more complex ableton plugins).

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:13 pm

forge wrote: I might have wanted it if it was just an oscilator and we could have the filters and envelopes from Simpler, but as it is it's no where near intuitive enough for a 'virtual analog' synth

I get what you're saying, and agree to some extent. But I like the sounds I can get from Analog.

I realized the "virtual analogness" is not in the manipulation of the pieces of it, it is the way the inputs to various sub-components can be altered. I would say it is not well behaved like the other ableton instruments: it's very easy to get unruly unusable and levels from it even if you've made a sound you like, and so maybe best used in a rack.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:23 pm

It's OKayish.
the sound quality is good, but the limited functionality puts it in competition with a million other VA synths out there and I have had ample time to pick one up.

Where sound quality should win, most often I am looking for something a little more than just "moog bass" from my synths. That means weird routings, odd modulation options, etc etc. Something that will stand out from the crowd rather than say "me too".
the interface is cramped and confusing too.

So I don't really use analog.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:26 pm

^ I'LL BUY ANALOG FROM YOU!

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:38 pm

i like the tone of it, but i find myself sampling it a lot because the pitch envelopes are so basic.

MUCH happier with tension...
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

Winston

Post by Winston » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:45 pm

I'm with you forge. If I could sell analog, I would in a heart beat. It's the only instrument or device in my collection that I would not miss at all if it disappeared.

That being said, it isn't terrible or anything. It just has no special character that gives it a niche in my synths. I've got a lot of synths and it's my least favorite sounding. The oscillators are ok, the filters are not great and the layout is not good.

Can you make good tracks with it? Sure. In my opinion I can get a better result using many other things though, no matter what sound I'm after.

I'm definitely glad to have tension and electric though.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:46 pm

Why can't you sell it?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:48 pm

I think it sounds pretty good, and I find myself using it more and more these days, even though I have Zebra2 on hand (which is awesome). It's pretty simple, but more complex than I think people give it credit for. Obviously not going to compete with Z2 on that front, but still more than useable for a wide range of sounds. I do dislike the interface though, way too small and cluttered IMO. I wish Ableton would drop the concept of the central "TV" window for their more complex synths, they take ages to program that way. I wish their synths had arrows you could click to expand into a larger interface, similar to Spectrum or Sampler's keymapping views. Here's a review I did of Analog for ALDJ:

http://www.abletonlivedj.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=87
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

forge

Post by forge » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:49 pm

nebulae wrote:Why can't you sell it?
part of the bundle

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:51 pm

yes, Analog would benefit from more screen space and a little more complex routing.
I think I am partly dissuaded from using it by the thought of dealing with that the non-intuitive gui all crammed into that tiny space.