Help: Don't know what to do? Label screwing me.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:33 pm

Do you know much about the label or did you sign up just because they showed interest? What's the background story?

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:49 pm

Hm, I'm not signed so maybe some people on here can give you some more helpful info. But I do see a lot of people complaining about lag times with labels and that's even from the well known ones. Maybe your concerns are a little premature. Did they mention any kind of estimated turn around time? Still doesn't excuse them from answering your inquiries though.

mathew

Post by mathew » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:55 pm

Well, thats why they call it a "first release"

What he is/isn't doing might not be anything wrong, it depends on what your contract states. Was there a release date agreement? Is there an out if it doesn't get released. Did he pay you an advance?

I always make sure that I can opt out if it isn't released by a certain time after signing.

I would wait for a bit. It can take months to get a remix back from an artist.

He may have decided that he shouldn't release your record and is too embarrassed to let you know.

He may also be dealing with shit that has nothing to do with you either.
accepting the problem will only make it go away.
Not Boyfriend Material

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:55 pm

Label screwing you? Lay back and enjoy the ride, baby.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:43 pm

"labels" are notorious for not paying artists...

what are your payment terms?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:49 pm

Rave wrote:
nebulae wrote:"labels" are notorious for not paying artists...

what are your payment terms?
Bi-yearly.
then you probably have no grounds for 6 months. I'd say sit tight and wait for a response; if no response in two weeks, call him directly.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:55 pm

Just post the track here and I'll give you $0.05 in opinion cash. :wink:

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:57 pm

hmm. honestly, it sounds like you are probably getting too ancy. Play it cool, don't send three emails via myspace, just one and then know they/he is very busy promtoing your shit. You can tell whether they read it or not in myspace, and just because they read it and didn'tsay "yes I got it" doesn't mean anything...Most people are straight up assholes, but that doesn';t mean they are fucking you or that you can't do business with them. you just have to use a little mojo.

Also, what do you mean'signed' witha label? if you were doing a remix, you should have gotten a lump payment upfroont, whenyou say signed that indicates you have adeal set up for future releases, they may or may not have exclusive use of your name, etc... If it's justa remix for some techno label, then you needed to agree on one time payment and keep it friendly. What label? what distro do they go through?

laird

Post by laird » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:49 pm

Label heads are often musicians.
musians are flakes.
Ergo, label heads are often flakes.

I think you've already found your answer.... sit tight. Work on your next release.

Also, on the subject of remixes... unless you pay someone $$$ to do a remix, don't be suprised if they say they will but end up not doing it. Some remixes are fun, lots are just plain work, and I dont know about you, but doing plain old work on my days off is low on my list of things to do.

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:54 pm

Well, good luck, to be honest, you really need a mentor in this biz, so try sending your music to your favorite artist, along with some praise.
Remember that publishing is what you really need to get a grasp on, your most important markets are Japan, UK, and the rest of Euro. Get a lawyer, and someone who has suceeded to offer you some advice from time to time, thank them on your records, and don't bother them, just periodically touch base and you should do alright

popslut

Post by popslut » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:55 pm

morerecords wrote:Well, good luck, to be honest, you really need a mentor in this biz, so try sending your music to your favorite artist, along with some praise.
Remember that publishing is what you really need to get a grasp on, your most important markets are Japan, UK, and the rest of Euro. Get a lawyer, and someone who has suceeded to offer you some advice from time to time, thank them on your records, and don't bother them, just periodically touch base and you should do alright
Great advice.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:25 am

welcome to the music INDUSTRY :)

that is the least dispicable that will happen to you over the course of your career.

just keep an ear out to see if your elements were used in any of that producers upcoming work and otherwise dont get too worked up about it and move on. :)

forge

Post by forge » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:41 am

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Tompson

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:08 pm

Hey there, I have run labels before - so I hope I can give you some insight.

There may or may not be anything wrong at all. It's unfortunate though that this persons communication skills seem to be sorely lacking. He is out of touch therefore who knows.

I suggest you continue checking in via email and phone every other week, politely and professionally. "Hey man, just wanted to touch base and see what was up - what I should be working on, blah blah blah".

What is wrong is lack of contact, and that's really all you can do. Which sucks. If this goes on for 6 months, I would get a lawyer and get out of this contract.

What you should also know is that it typically takes a minimum of 2 months, if not 3 for a single to come out. This is because of manufacturing time on vinyl, submission time for digital, and promotional efforts. It typically takes 3-6 months for a full length. If people guarantee a shorter turnaround time than that I am usually skeptical and leads me to think they aren't setting things up properly.

Additionally, Winter Music Conference and South by Southwest are coming up in the next weeks, your label head may be performing or have artists performing there. That may be why he is busy and out of touch. Not an excuse (it only takes 30 seconds to send an email) - just wanted to give you a heads up on what's going on out there.

Lastly, since he isn't telling you what to do - I will tell you what I think he should say and what I think you should do: Keep recording, writing, etc. Work on getting dj or performance gigs, maybe do some unauthorized remixes or covers and post them as free downloads on myspace, etc and submit to blogs, etc to build a name for yourself.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:23 am

Rave wrote:however the whole experience still leaves me on my guard.
then you've learned the first lesson of the music biz