Rewiring with Cubase SX

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
david122

Rewiring with Cubase SX

Post by david122 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:26 am

Got it up and running but there's a lot of audio breakdown. The Live CPU meter is reading zero, the SX meter is reading less than 5% yet there are dropouts all over the place.

I can seriously load SX with VSTs and Effects and this doesn't happen at all. What am I doing wrong?
P4 3.2 HT, Dual 2ghz G5
Sonar 3, Logic 6 Pro
M-Audio 410 FW & 66 Delta

majestic

Post by majestic » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:16 am

Do you have more than one "ReWireable" app installed on your DP G5 (e.g. Reason, Melodyne, etc.)? If so, that's your problem. Cubase doesn't support more than one ReWire app installed on multiprocessor Macs. The result is crackling and "stalled" audio. You can workaround this by removing all other ReWire apps (and/or possibly by disabling one of the G5's processors and running in single-processor mode - I'm not sure, I've never followed the thread in detail as I only have a single-processor machine).

See here for details of the workaround; your problem definitely sounds like the classic SX / MP / ReWire bug: http://forum.cubase.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/019060-3.html

david122

Post by david122 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:47 am

Thanks, actually this is on Windows. I tried a second time and Live popped up a message say "Problem with Rewire Master" then crashed. The I got a Blue Screen!

I did then pop over to the Mac and try Live rewired with Logic - absolutely perfect - and Reason is installed there also. I'm going to try with Cubase on OSX just to see what happens.

At first glance is seems the issues are with the Windows platform.
P4 3.2 HT, Dual 2ghz G5
Sonar 3, Logic 6 Pro

david122

Post by david122 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:10 am

I had a read of that post in the cubase forum and un-installed Reason from the PC (not that I'll miss it).

And the problems have gone away. Seems like it's a cross platform issue after all.
P4 3.2 HT, Dual 2ghz G5
Sonar 3, Logic 6 Pro

majestic

Post by majestic » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:19 am

Take a look on the Windows forum at cubase.net, someone else may have had the problem.

Unfortunately, the Mac SX/ReWire problem will occur on your machine if you run Cubase (Logic works fine). It's not one of those bugs that only affects certain configs, it hits every MP Mac running Cubase with more than one ReWire app installed.

david122

Post by david122 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:31 am

And on Windows XP too so it seems. SX on the Mac is an appaling pile of bug-ridden scrap anyway - but on the PC it takes some beating.
P4 3.2 HT, Dual 2ghz G5
Sonar 3, Logic 6 Pro

majestic

Post by majestic » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:32 am

david122 wrote:I had a read of that post in the cubase forum and un-installed Reason from the PC (not that I'll miss it).

And the problems have gone away. Seems like it's a cross platform issue after all.
That's good. Yeah, they'll probably fix that one in SX3, it's affecting a lot of people over there...

david122

Post by david122 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:44 am

SX3 is going to have warping, and if they include a loop explorer as well...
P4 3.2 HT, Dual 2ghz G5
Sonar 3, Logic 6 Pro

david122

Post by david122 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:52 am

I've just hit a bit of a drawback. In Rewire mode Live will allow me to create a MIDI track - but won't allow me to put a VST instrument onto it. Therefore I can't route the VST output to Cubase.

So Live Rewire is just about audio channels?
P4 3.2 HT, Dual 2ghz G5
Sonar 3, Logic 6 Pro

majestic

Post by majestic » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:55 am

david122 wrote:SX3 is going to have warping, and if they include a loop explorer as well...
Yeah, but Logic 7 is going to have warping too. Nevertheless, I'm staying with Live! I'm in lerrrve... :) I'm finished with Cubase permanently, apart from my legacy stuff which I'll be able to dump next year. If I'm forced to go back to monster sequencers for any reason, it's definitely to Logic 7.

BTW, the latest release of Melodyne has a loop explorer, and very nice it is...!

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:17 am

more melodyne info please....yum
for the love of Live

cperezzzz

Re: Rewiring with Cubase SX

Post by cperezzzz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:53 pm

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX