Graphic design software

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mja

Graphic design software

Post by mja » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:27 pm

Does anybody on here know of any good programs..

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:30 pm

Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Illustrator
The Gimp

mja

Post by mja » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:33 pm

Thanks man il check them out :D

CBirkholz

Post by CBirkholz » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:37 pm

sweetjesus wrote:Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Illustrator
The Gimp
The adobhe creative suite is the way to go.....stay away from quark! Ahhh! :x

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:41 pm

check out artrage

http://www.artrage.com/

a wacom is recommended

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:06 pm

http://www.inkscape.org/screenshots/index.php?lang=en

Inkscape's a really capable multi platform vector package.

channelite

Post by channelite » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:16 pm

If you could only have one, get Photoshop. If you're a student or taking any sort of class, you can get the educational discount.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:17 pm

Been working in design for 17 years. Here's what I know in a nutshell.

Go in this order:

CS3 Photoshop (Can do it all)
CS3 Illustrator (Does Vector, type, logos the best)
CS3 InDesign (Does Type the best of all 3 and is the only one that does Multi Page Documents)

Get CS3 Suite (all 3) if you can.

STAY AWAY FROM CORRELL, QUARK, or anything outside of Adobe. There is a reason the CS apps are industry standards: they are stable and will give you what you expect.

Don't use RGB to design print; Don't use CMYK to design web/video. Use only Open Type Fonts (Never True Type). Macs are industry standard but PC are fine.

I'm a print guy. Don't know much about Web or Vid... peace.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

sam flanagan

Post by sam flanagan » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:40 pm

CS3 all the way.....

If you dont know how to use photoshop and illustrator get one of those tutorial books (like the '....for dummys') so you can get up to speed on all the basics. Trying to teach yourself any of those programs without a bit or help or guidance would be a nightmare. I taught myself photoshop but even then I used tutorials from the net and other books.

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:42 pm

Another for CS3. Though it is a shame we don't have more choices and more competition, for us it is just Adobe.

Of course there is Corel, Quark and whatever others are left on the commercial side, along with the (quite capable) open source options, but I have yet to go on an interview where "must have inkscape experience" is listed as a qualification. Quark still pops up every now and again, but it is getting rare.

Compare our choices to the digital Audio world. There are how many serious contenders for DAWs? Even in 3D there are options, but when working in 2D (print or web) it's Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign, Flash, Dreamweaver you need to know.

Anyway, to the OP, if you are looking to get into it you will def need the Adobe stuff because that is what school is going to teach and that is what employers are going to expect you to know. If you are a student get it on a student discount, or download and buy when you have the money.

Adobe is pretty cool about student licensing. They allow you to use the license commercially (to make money) while you are still in school, and once you are out of school they will upgrade you to a professional license at no charge.

If you are just looking to dick around look into inkscape (vector drawing), Gimp (raster, paint) and Scribus (page layout).

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:30 pm

Blender is a cool open-source 3D program - a good alternative to Maya, 3D Studio Max etc. Although if you were to progress into a career you would be expected to use the latter programs of course.

rbro

Re: Graphic design software

Post by rbro » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:48 am

mja wrote:Does anybody on here know of any good programs..
What are you intending to use it for? Print? Web? Business Cards? Animated GIFS?

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:08 am

Image Image

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:14 am

fuck me what sort of cunt doesnt know that photoshop is the daddy and all else is feeble shite?

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:31 am

Consider seriously just downloading The Gimp;
If throwing money away is the issue, perhaps you can contribute to their project ...

oh and consider the whole "Industry Standard" sales pitch: rubbish.
(* not diissing quality or ubiquitousness, just objecting to using market penetration as proof of superiority somehow; please think about Digidesign vs. Sonar Vs. Logic Vs, Live thing before flaming up, thanks).

my 2 coins,
-h
http://www.mesmero.net
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.