Does Live ever crash?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ryst

Does Live ever crash?

Post by ryst » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:35 pm

Well, this is a simple question. Since Live is built as a performance tool and a lot of Live users use Live live (did I use too many live's in that senstence?)...How stable is it for you guys? All things being equal, has Live ever crashed on you guys or does it just chug along fine? I know everyone's answers will be somewhat diffrent because of plug-ins, OS, and hardware but I don't see much complaints about crashing issues.....Just curious.......by the way, 2 more weeks till I finally upgrade to Live4 to my new 2.5gig G5!!!!!

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:38 pm

Mine is reasonably stable.

Machinate's isn't :)

But then I use one of the platforms and he uses the other... but I wouldn't want to get into that debate! ;)

-Paws

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:45 pm

No. Live does not crash ;-)

When Live 4 was new I rehearesed with it daily for a month and did not have a single crash. This was on a 1,25 MHz PowerBook with an external FireWire800 drive for audio files. I was mainly recording loops on the fly, both as Live Clips and in software live-looping plug-ins opened on Live tracks (Lexicon PSP42 and Augustus Loop beta)

Earlier this year, and last year, I had some crashes when producing studio recordings on a dual 2 GHz G5. But then I was slaving Live 3 to Logic by ReWire and I was also using some PSP vst plugins in wrapped into AU, that is known for being problematic in this situation. Not dissing PSP here - some other PSP plug-ins work perfectly stable when wrapped. Well, bottomline is that crashes might not be due to Live.
Last edited by Per Boysen on Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

ryst

Post by ryst » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:47 pm

yeah....I don't care about mac or pc....just in general how stable everyone's Live "stuff" is....no pissing contests, please!

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:56 pm

no pissing contest, sure! ;-) I can add that I was using Live 2 and 3 a little on a IBM ThinkPad PC laptop (700 MHz P3 cpu) and it was reasonable stable. Not as stable as the Mac's Im using now but that might be just because the IBM had a slower processor. From other posts and ppl here that I know locally, I have understood that Live can be totally stable on a pc laptop. But as you might know there are many brands of pc laptops and not every user care to optimize Windows XP and the overall use of the system for audio stability.

/ pboy

beachnote

stable

Post by beachnote » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:58 pm

live is very stable, as close to perfect as any app gets, when it is used stand alone. meaning no 3rd party dll's (vst, fx, ect.).

so my advice is, have two versions of your projects. one with all the vst instruments and fx to use for production in your studio, and another live performance project only made up of clip samples (no dlls) created from the production version. therefore the only thing really happening in the live version is streaming from disk (or in ram), with maybe a few simple ableton plugins for variation and live tweaking.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:20 pm

noisetonepause wrote:Mine is reasonably stable.

Machinate's isn't :)

But then I use one of the platforms and he uses the other... but I wouldn't want to get into that debate! ;)

-Paws
It worked just fine, until you came along. Bad karma, that's what it is. Baaad "switch"-karma... :evil:

:wink:
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:27 am

i just did 2 hours live with it in kansas city over the weekend.

no problems. stable as a station wagon.

ultrasource

Post by ultrasource » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:33 pm

mine is eerily stable. i'm not used to stability (been with cubase for years!)

warabunga

Post by warabunga » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:55 pm

THE most stable program!

and IF (happened once to me) it crashes it asks you if you want restore the song...
NEVER lost a single note or sample in 2 years of extensive live! use...
you just can't compare it with other programs. well, with reason maybe.
DON'T USE THIRD PARTY SOFTinstrument PLUGINS...
--
macbook pro | Leopard | 2.33 Ghz | 3 Gig Ram | Lemur | Monome 256 | BCF/BCR2000 | Faderfox LX2
I'm Spoiled!

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:20 pm

3 is very stable but the live4 (demo but it's the same I believe) crashes with halion if I try to remove a program from it , kontact every time, but very stable without VSTs

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:30 pm

Chris J wrote:3 is very stable but the live4 (demo but it's the same I believe) crashes with halion if I try to remove a program from it , kontact every time, but very stable without VSTs
ditto

issues with Kontakt but ROCK SOLID!
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:30 pm

Most stable thing I have seen.... Here is a scenario that is funny. I was testing out vsts in Live3 and had one completely spike my system.... I clicked the close button it and just let it churn to see what it would do. It eventually closed and Live went on with the loop I was playing. How is that for a mid show beer break? =P

raapie

Post by raapie » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:36 pm

I am having problems with B4 and Tassman 4. Probably VST is a very bad format.

VST is just a non-standard I think since it can crash a host application. Even Steinberg produced a couple of VST's which are not running as it should in VST-hosts... rewire2 seems great and I love Simpler and Impulse.
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

cperezzzz

Re: Does Live ever crash?

Post by cperezzzz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:52 pm

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX