Recording in Live with a RME Multiface

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bosley

Recording in Live with a RME Multiface

Post by bosley » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:06 pm

hi,
I'm sampling CD's in Live with an RME multiface soundcard, but the levelmeter is very low (about 1/4 of the total), even with the CDplayer on max volume.
I just can't figure out how to manipulate the entry level. Is that to be done in the RME? in Live directly? How?!
It 's perhaps a "direct monitoring" problem but I can't make it work.
Any help VERY appreciated!
thanx!
bosley

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:06 pm

Sampling cds...why not just pull the data off directly as .wav or .aiff and save yourself the trouble as well as getting pristine sound? Recording-wise you might want to get down a bit more with your RME because for sure there's somekind of input gain control somewhere...not on the front of the Multiface or in some small dedicated bit of software? Either way, like I said, just use Quicktime, iTunes, Peak, whatever and rip that data right off the disc

bosley

sample in live

Post by bosley » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:38 pm

hello,
thanks for your help; but I just need very small bits of music in the songs i do sample, so i don't want to rip the whole 60 megabyte stuff!

It's really funny that there is no input gain control in LIVE, is it? it must be somewhere...
bosley

warabunga

Post by warabunga » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:27 am

the program is called DSP mixer...
--
macbook pro | Leopard | 2.33 Ghz | 3 Gig Ram | Lemur | Monome 256 | BCF/BCR2000 | Faderfox LX2
I'm Spoiled!

matheo

Post by matheo » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:41 am

Hi,

With the DSP mixer program you can adjust a little bit the level of the input power (up to 3 or 6dB more I think), but it is more to optimize the input to the dynamic of the signal.

If you really want tot chaneg the input level, you have to change the input switches (Hardware) within the card.
It is well explained in the manual of the board. I did it: it does not take more than 10 minutes to do .
:D

Matheo

Spectrum

Post by Spectrum » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:08 pm

Why not just rip a bit of the track? There must be software out there that can do that. WaveLab does this but I imagine there must be cheaper options.

I had the Multiface and I just didn't get on with it. Great sound but it didn't like my mobo. Now I use E-MU 0404 and find it much more compatible with my machine.
WinXP Home
AMD 2400XP
1 GB ram
ASUS A7A mobo
MSI G4Ti4200-DT
E-MU 0404
Powercore
UAD-1

Legend

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:23 pm

Quicktime, Peak....these'll let you grab a snip of audio.

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:18 pm

audio hijack.

Jim S.

Post by Jim S. » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:50 am

Does anyone know the total range of input available with a Multiface?

I'm guessing it is hardware adjustable in terms of +4/-10? And then software adjustable a few db?

Has anyone ever tried plugging an instrument level signal directly in - like a guitar?

Has anyone ever plugged in a microphone using an XLR-1/4" adapter??

Thanks,

-Jim S.
Toshiba Satellite P25, WinXP SP2, P4 3.2 GHz, 512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM, 800MHz bus, RME Multiface, stock internal 4200 rpm & Hitachi Travelstar internal 7200 rpm, (also a complete ProTools HD3 based studio)

raapie

Post by raapie » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:16 am

you can change the impedance on the multiface with the dipswitches (you need to open the box). check the manual for this. don't change the gain in software since you're only raising the noisfloor!
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

cperezzzz

Re: Recording in Live with a RME Multiface

Post by cperezzzz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:53 pm

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX