Do you thrust buying software licenses (nocracks) v paypal?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jeroen

Do you thrust buying software licenses (nocracks) v paypal?

Post by Jeroen » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:31 pm

I am considering buying some software licenses for discount via paypal US.

Any positive negative experiences? I am not sure how you guarantee that both parties agree with the deal.

J.
Life is made of stories not atoms

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:48 pm

i prefer to thrust with other methods.

paypal is evil.

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:59 pm

That made me think for a while about the other methods, ... since english is not my mother language, but I think I get the point, or do I need to say pointer.

Thanks for the warning.
Life is made of stories not atoms

BAKOY_MUSIC

Post by BAKOY_MUSIC » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:04 pm

sweetjesus wrote:i prefer to thrust with other methods.

paypal is evil.
Why ? Please

(saw the brekky show clip , cool btw)
codex alimentarius is coming soon
MBP CD1 1.83Ghz 2G RAM, KORG49, MOTU TRAVELER

forge

Post by forge » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:19 pm

actually I think SJ was commenting on the use of the word "thrust" instead of "trust" - I too was going to joke about this, but he beat me to it.

as for the paypal comment, I'd also like to know why they're evil! 8O

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:21 pm

BAKOY_MUSIC wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:i prefer to thrust with other methods.

paypal is evil.
Why ? Please

(saw the brekky show clip , cool btw)
if the powers at Paypal decide your account is somehow dodgy, they will suspend it and in doing so freeze your money until they make you jump through hoops and in some cases not being able to prove your money comes from a 'legitimate' source ties up your money in their hands.

getting through to a human at paypal seemed to be almost impossible without waiting extremely lengthy amounts of time.

they take a huge cut of money transactions for doing very little.

but the most important is they seem to have a moral police which enforce a draconian set of unspoken rules.

edit: p.s. cheers RE breakfast show.. cheesy as hell though :P

BAKOY_MUSIC

Post by BAKOY_MUSIC » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:47 pm

now, why doesn't that surprise us, it's fucking everywhere, people holding on to our dosh, etc, but good points none-the-less
"money for nothing and the checks for free"

(re:cheesy - pays bills)
codex alimentarius is coming soon
MBP CD1 1.83Ghz 2G RAM, KORG49, MOTU TRAVELER

arkoenig

Post by arkoenig » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:50 pm

One more point: If you buy something through PayPal, you forfeit some of the consumer protections normally associated with credit-card purchases.

At least in the USA, if you buy something with a credit card, and the merchandise is defective and not replaced (or not delivered at all), you can legitimately refuse to pay the credit-card bill, and the credit-card company is supposed to charge the disputed amount back to the vendor (assuming,k of course, that they conclude that you were telling the truth).

If, on the other hand, you charge something to a credit card via PayPal, then the service you are buying is that of conveying your money to the seller. Even if the seller fails to deliver, you got what you paid for, so you have no recourse.

I think you might be better off mailing a check, because then if they don't deliver, you can fila a claim with the post office for mail fraud :-)
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:11 pm

I never used paypal and I do not trust them as secure. I feel I have better anti-fraud with my Visa.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:15 am

i occasionally use paypal if i'm buying through someone or a site that i don't really know and trust, and i don't want to give them to have my credit card details... also in some situations, paypal might be a bit safer than doing a direct bank transaction, and for some sellers, paypal is a handy way to receive payments from anyone...

apart from that, paypal is basically another way for ebay to make lots more money... i refuse to put my cash into some pseudo-banking paypal account, making no interest, and as sweetjesus said, with no reliable way to do anything if something goes wrong with their system...