Who's tracing the future of composition

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Spaturno

Who's tracing the future of composition

Post by Spaturno » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:00 am

Saw the preview of Cubase SX on Steinberg's site.

Well, they picked up the best of Live (time stretching) and Tracktion (in-place midi editing).

I say the sound quality of Cubase is probably better than Live

BUT

They (Steinberg) can. They need 6 months to do what Ableton and Raw Material did in years of innovative developing.

So, who is tracing the future? And who traced the present?

PS: Hating Cubase, I made two albums with MadTracker and a good human sound designer. Probably my dog will not ear the super quality of 32 bit. But art (and music), they teach, is also making something good with less instrument and less less less money. Otherwise, where is creativity?

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:18 am

I really don't understand what people mean when they say "[insert program name here] has better soud quality than [insert program name here]".

In this instance we've got Cubase has better sound quality than Live.

What do you mean? Are you being technical, because it sure doesn't sound like it. Are you just expressing an opinion garnered by your own aural experiences? Are you talking about a general consensus on the matter, or is this an individual statement??

I can't see how two digital programs can SOUND any different. If I install Cubase and Live, the only difference would be in GUI.... or would it??

forge

Post by forge » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:36 am

Amberience wrote: I can't see how two digital programs can SOUND any different. If I install Cubase and Live, the only difference would be in GUI.... or would it??
maybe in the same way that waves EQs sound different to MDA EQs - different algorithms and ways of handling data and ensuring the timing of each bit of data fits in a way that there's no distinguishable latency between any of the 'chunks' that would cause phasing and things like that I guess - or something like that - there must be a million ways software can sound different

personally I have no gripes with the sound in Live - in fact I could quite safely say that I have never felt more satisfied with the sounds I'm now getting using Live 4, NI Komplete2, Waves Gold 5 and Microtonic. After a very long time fooking around with different ways of making music it's nice to finally feel like I can stop it and just get on with the music - there were always too many irritating things that got in the way with logicbase.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:42 am

for the same reason that so many people love the sound of an SP-12 , thousands more could give you a reason why its inferior.

every tool in the world has its own character.

Ani Difranco once said "every tool is a weapon if you hold it right"

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:39 am

AdamJay wrote:for the same reason that so many people love the sound of an SP-12 , thousands more could give you a reason why its inferior.

every tool in the world has its own character.
Yup. Say what you want, pull out all the technical theory to refute it that you want, but audio from different engines has always sounded different to me. I can't explain it, but it does.
Last edited by Rahlo on Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:43 am

As long as your ears can hear you don't need it explained...

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:01 am

I dunno. I've never really bothered to compare. I love the sound I get from Live and Reason and EnergyXT. I don't use anything else.

Cubase is wank. Logic can lick my hairy arse. Sonar can go drown in a bucket of stale piss.

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:30 am

> picked up the best of Live (time stretching)

that's not the best bit about live.

the best bit about live is the speed of the interface, and the fact you don't have to stop the audio to do 99% of operations.

qchapter

Post by qchapter » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:48 am

There is no other DAW out there that is more powerful or more flexible than Live 4.0. The key is that Live adapts to your way of working, instead of the other way around. If you can't craete interesting music with Live, you probably never will!

8O How d'ya like them apples 8O

-Kevin
Electro-Rock strait outta Tejas!

http://qchapter.com/

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:53 am

qchapter wrote: 8O How d'ya like them apples 8O

-Kevin
hehe. I love that film! :lol: