Post your set up and your sexy cat...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jesso

Post by jesso » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:46 pm

I hear you.
I managed to pick up a desk in a second hand shop for very little. Its huge, and looks like it was the headmasters desk in St.Marys school for bold girls in 1973.
Love it.

substance_g

Post by substance_g » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:41 pm

Here's mine:

It's not exactly Schneider's Buero, but it'll do as a start. Too much time spent on Feng Shui and not enough on saving my tunes, but hey... :)
MBP-Live7-Oxygen8-Ultralite-UC33e-WaldorfPulse

DJ VAKIS

Post by DJ VAKIS » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:58 pm

substance_g wrote:Here's mine:

It's not exactly Schneider's Buero, but it'll do as a start. Too much time spent on Feng Shui and not enough on saving my tunes, but hey... :)
Nice setup
http://www.myspace.com/djvakis
http://mix2r.fm/audio/user/221

----------------------------------------
MacBookPro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 2GB
Live 8 -Operator -Sampler
AKAI LPD8-GENELEC 1029A-iPhone runing TouchOSC.

m:o

Post by m:o » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:05 pm

I don't think you're a dwarf so, do your ears a favor, and get the genelecs up on a proper ear-height.

substance_g

Post by substance_g » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:24 pm

m:o wrote:I don't think you're a dwarf so, do your ears a favor, and get the genelecs up on a proper ear-height.
Yeah, the genelecs are especially directional which is fine when I'm tiredly slumped over my desk, but in general use you're right, they could do with being higher. Would it be blasphemous to put one on top of the ultralite?

m:o

Post by m:o » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:36 pm

Until you buy a second Ultralite this won't be a good solution :-)

My Yamaha's are standing on two very nice, white "ziegelsteine" each.
I've "got" them from a local construction site a few years ago.
(They're pretty cheap if you go in the night ;-) They have the perfect height
and would fit nicely in your "minimalicous" surrounding.
maybe a tip for you....

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:37 pm

don't put one on the Ultralite and the other not on an Ultralite, they'll sound different.

there's two lines of thinking when placing monitors. it's all about how the cone moves. the cone is connected to the cabinet, so whatever the cabinet is on affects the cone.

put the Genies on foam and they'll be 'floating' in air, the mass of the heavy cabinet will act as a weight the cones can push against. this is why they're kinda heavy, good mass to the cabinet.

put the Genies on some heavy blocks and it's cone->cabinet->blocks->whatever the blocks are sitting on, or at that point the mass of the blocks+cabinet is more than the cones can push.

in between the cabinets floating in space and coupled to a heavy block is an area of uncertainty, where the frequency response of the bass is non-linear. floating means less bass, coupled to a heavy block means more bass, either way it's a more linear response than sitting on an mostly empty aluminum Ultralite case. if it's too much or too little bass, that's what the controls on the back of the monitors are for, boost or cut the bass.

also, the walls behind the monitors can have an effect, but that's at louder volumes. maybe play with some acoustic foam behind them.

play with your Genies a bit, it's kinda fun to hear this stuff in action.

not to pick on you, but it's stuff like this that make threads on Genie vs Adams frustrating, people just don't know all the details or how to USE monitors.

if your cabinets are light, then you definitely want to couple them to a HEAVY support stand, it's like putting standard JBL monitors on the floor, in the air there's ZERO bass, on the floor, BOOM BOOM.

edit - so why not ALWAYS put them on heavy blocks?? this is my desk
my Adams are up on the top shelf, at the outer edge, I didn't install those stupid CD holders, so there's nothing under the shelf below the monitors, so I put some Auralex foam under them. before that the bass was incoherent, now they growl, even at low volumes.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:21 am

Milk crates,,,
best studio furniture in the world
EVA!!!
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

substance_g

Post by substance_g » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:33 am

Tone Deft wrote:don't put one on the Ultralite and the other not on an Ultralite, they'll sound different.
I might be a dwarf, but I'm not stupid :roll: :wink:

Cheers for the thoughts. You do know that the built-in Genelecs iso-base things are pretty good in isolating from whatever they're placed on? Don't worry, have also tried foam behind bass-ports and adjusting the dipswitches for the roll-off. Makes a big difference to the sound and to be honest the best next step is to move apartment to get more space... And, many years ago, I worked in a British hi-fi company who used to make speakers, so know what I'm doing - just in this case, space is really tight.

Think I'll try m:o's Ziegelsteine solution - cheap as chips to give it a test. What I haven't tried yet is angling them upwards (easy to try on the isopod base) - but this is mostly for aesthetic reasons - should give it a go really...

Ultralite question was more out of magnetic shielding/emf direction and/or possibly vibrating the ultralite too much...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:35 am

your sarcasm eludes me. no, I don't know about the Genelecs. I looked at Genies and Adams and scored a deal on Adams ($700/pair, suck it) so I went with those.
Last edited by Tone Deft on Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

substance_g

Post by substance_g » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:37 am

Tone Deft wrote:defensive much?
Only in the mornings... :D

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:39 am

substance_g wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:defensive much?
Only in the mornings... :D
lmfao!!! I realised that after I posted, hence the edit. very funny!!

trust me, if anyone can understand morning grumpiness it's me. ;) it's still 5:40pm here.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Esa Straton

Post by Esa Straton » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:35 am

There ya have it, the lab, and me, complete with potentiometer eyes! 8O

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:44 am

whats the box with all the knobs on in front of the mac on the left??
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:02 am

That's actually a great photo. The composition, colors, everything...very cool.

The setup is perfect. There's a lot of photos in this thread with 14 roomfulls worth of shit, so it's refreshing to see something so minimal. How do you like your UC-33e? Been thinking of picking one up.