Migration from XP to MacOSX and file ownership problem

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
lanquarem

Migration from XP to MacOSX and file ownership problem

Post by lanquarem » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:16 pm

Hello.
I'm switching to Mac. I copied all my projects on a brand new external hard drive, and they are all "read only". To be precise :the livesets themselves are not locked; the project folders are... If I drag a liveset out of its project folder, I can modify it... But impossible to save it into its project folder.

The strange thing is that I cannot unlock the folders : I tried to change the ownership and permissions on the Mac, but it does not work. I tried from the console things like chmod +w ... I did this as root and got a message saying that I have not enough rights.

Back to WinXP, if I uncheck the "readonly" status, click on "apply" and "OK", this does nothing neither : the file is still seen as "read only"...

It happens only with live folders, not on other files from other applications....

I could not find any reference about this kind of problem on the forums. Any idea to help ?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:49 pm

How is the external HD formatted, as FAT32 or NTFS? OSX can only read NTFS, and not write to it.

lanquarem

Post by lanquarem » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:53 am

It's FAT32...

cids

Post by cids » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:35 am

ZIP all your Live folders in XP. Unzip them in Mac OS X...
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

lanquarem

Post by lanquarem » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:37 am

I'll try that... thanks a lot

lanquarem

Post by lanquarem » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:26 pm

I eventually solved the problem simply by duplicating the folders : the duplicated versions are read-write and OK on both the Mac and Windows...
Stupid problem, crazy solution :roll: