UC33e users - take over mode/enigma/etc

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
diego vega

UC33e users - take over mode/enigma/etc

Post by diego vega » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:06 pm

Hi just got my UC33e and was playing with it last night and came across these problems:

1. TAKE OVER MODE - Doesnt' work? It only works once (for one template change) after going into preferences, but after that it stops working when changing templates. if I go back to preferences, select the take over mode and close the window it works again for only one time. Any ideas? Seems weird. By the way I tried every combination of selecting uc33e as control surface, input ports, output ports, track input/outputs ON, and REMOTE'S all ON.

2. I cannot assign any knobs to any external au instruments? I can assign the knobs/faders to anyting in Ableton, but au plugins are not detecting anything? Could it be I need to edit something in Enigma? (can you tell me what midi info?)

3. The assignable buttons on the uc33e are all sending the same midi message to Ableton, so it's as if all of them were just one button. What midi info do I need to change in Enigma for them to be recognized as different and individual buttons? LSB? MSB? etc... ?

By the way I'm just trying to have 4 plain/empty templates, so I can midi learn manually everything in my liveset (not automapping or mackie control, etc).

I simply started with the empty 'global user template' that came as default (the last template I think it was), and copied it 4 times as the first 4 templates (to have acces to them quick with the 4 buttons at the top). I simply changed the midi channel in each one so messages wouldn't overlap, but I'm having the above mentioned problems and don't know exactly what to edit in Enigma to fix it.

Thanks a lot!

PS. What trick did you use to make the rotaries position more obvious under low light? Maybe liquid paper on the triangles?

diego vega

Post by diego vega » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:06 pm

By the way about the software takeover mode, I searched the forum and apparently everyone has this problem with the uc33e. Is there really no fix? 8O :evil:

substance_g

Post by substance_g » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:24 pm

Hi,

For the first question, I think it's ok on my set-up (UC-33e + Live7.0.2). Live remembers the takeover mode as soon selected and then after saving, when re-opening the set.

I have the UC33 set as control surface and as input. In the Midi ports inputs, I have track and sync off and Remote On.

No problems here - unless I'm missing something in your question :wink: .

For the 3rd question, that's another strange one. Out of the box my UC-33e sent different CC numbers for each button. Didn't have to mess about with Enigma at all to get that working...
MBP-Live7-Oxygen8-Ultralite-UC33e-WaldorfPulse

Damon_Chambers

Post by Damon_Chambers » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:47 pm

on your 2nd question you can load up your au in your midi channel, then look down in the clip view i think it is where you can view your effects and stuff per channel (sorry, i dont know all the proper terms) then there are 3 buttons on your au... one will open the au's gui, one will close it i think, and the other will expand out to the right all the parameters you can use with that au.

that is where you need to be looking to setup your midi control. at least thats when your controller is working normally.

diego vega

Post by diego vega » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:10 am

Substance - I'm still using Live 6, but I will see if using your midi configuration it works for me, thanks!

Damon- you're absolutely correct I totally forgot about that :roll: That will make it work for sure thanks!

misteron

Post by misteron » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:01 am

Please post back if all gows well with Take Over Mode.
I'm interested in the UC33e

Thanks

diego vega

Post by diego vega » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:02 pm

ok

Patch

Post by Patch » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:54 pm

Lemme know if anyone gets soft takeover working. I'd love to be able to use 4 presets in a single liveset.

diego vega

Post by diego vega » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:09 pm

Well according to substance_g it works for him, why don't you try his configuration? did you try it, did it work or not?

i still haven't tested it...tonight!

substance_g

Post by substance_g » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:12 pm

Hey, I tried experimenting with the settings in Live 7.0.2 some more to give you more info. You only need one midi setting on:

Midi Ports
Input: UC-33 USB Midi Controller (Port 1) Remote=ON

Everything else can be off; you don't even need to set any control surfaces.

Takeover Mode worked correctly. I tried changing Takeover Mode, saving current set as template, restarting Live, and the takeover mode was remembered correctly.

I also tried a bit in Live 6.0.10 and Takeover Mode worked correctly with the above Midi setting. Though I wasn't able to save template (as 6 is in demo mode), Live did remember the last setting after restart. So it looked to be ok.

Just let me know if I can test something specific for you to help out... :)

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:17 am

substance_g wrote:Hey, I tried experimenting with the settings in Live 7.0.2 some more to give you more info. You only need one midi setting on:

Midi Ports
Input: UC-33 USB Midi Controller (Port 1) Remote=ON

Everything else can be off; you don't even need to set any control surfaces.

Takeover Mode worked correctly. I tried changing Takeover Mode, saving current set as template, restarting Live, and the takeover mode was remembered correctly.

I also tried a bit in Live 6.0.10 and Takeover Mode worked correctly with the above Midi setting. Though I wasn't able to save template (as 6 is in demo mode), Live did remember the last setting after restart. So it looked to be ok.

Just let me know if I can test something specific for you to help out... :)
I believe the Takeover problem arises when one is switching between multiple Banks on a MIDI controller.

Substance -are you trying this as well?

Thanks

substance_g

Post by substance_g » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:20 am

Ah, the original problem is due to preset change, not template change. Ok.

So, I tried playing with changing between the presets 1-4 on the UC33e and I could see the problem mentioned. However, I continued messing around and changed the Global Channel on the UC33e a couple of times and then the problem disappeared. I haven't narrowed it down to exactly what I did, but maybe others can also try changing the Global Channel and see if that helps...

diego vega

Post by diego vega » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:24 pm

excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between preset and template?

how where you testing the soft takeover substance if you weren't changing between the quick 1-4 presets?

let's try to solve this together so we can increase the potential of this great controller.
tonight i'm using it for the first time at a gig so excited! wish me luck :wink:

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:52 pm

Another day, another username :)

Presets are the different banks of settings on the UC-33e. Template is the name given to default Live sets when starting Live. Aaannnyway, as I mentioned, I kinda got it to work with the Global Channel settings, so give that a go and see if it works. Might have a chance to test it out myself later...

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:33 pm

Righto, back at my laptop and tested it again and all seems to be fine. Here's the test I did just in case I'm looking at something different to your problem:

1. Hit Preset 1 on the UC33.
2. Manually midimap knob C33 to Live Track 1 pan control
3. Repeat for Preset 2, 3, 4, mapping C33 to Track 2, 3, 4 pan controls.
4. Set Takeover Mode in Live 7(.0.3 - I upgraded!) to "Pickup"
5. Switch between UC33 Presets while turning knob C33, and using the mouse to test that it's using Pickup mode
6. Test again using "Value Scaling" takeover mode.

Both takeover modes worked fine when switching between UC-33 Presets 1-4.

Didn't touch Global Channel this time and still worked fine - strange.

So, is this the same as your use-case? Let me know if there's something specific I can test to help narrow down your issue...