so what is the consensus on Analog?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Post by forge » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:51 pm

Winston wrote:I'm with you forge. If I could sell analog, I would in a heart beat. It's the only instrument or device in my collection that I would not miss at all if it disappeared.

That being said, it isn't terrible or anything. It just has no special character that gives it a niche in my synths. I've got a lot of synths and it's my least favorite sounding. The oscillators are ok, the filters are not great and the layout is not good.

Can you make good tracks with it? Sure. In my opinion I can get a better result using many other things though, no matter what sound I'm after.

I'm definitely glad to have tension and electric though.
that's it really - I already have enough alternatives

weird thing is I was really looking forward to it - but's not how I expected

Pro-53 sounds way better to me

forge

Post by forge » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:53 pm

Angstrom wrote:yes, Analog would benefit from more screen space and a little more complex routing.
I think I am partly dissuaded from using it by the thought of dealing with that the non-intuitive gui all crammed into that tiny space.
+1

but the envelopes are irritating

I LOVE the envelopes, filters, all the settings in fact on simpler and operator

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:55 pm

forge wrote:
Angstrom wrote:the envelopes are irritating

I LOVE the envelopes, filters, all the settings in fact on simpler and operator
+1
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

Winston

Post by Winston » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:27 pm

forge wrote:
that's it really - I already have enough alternatives

weird thing is I was really looking forward to it - but's not how I expected

Pro-53 sounds way better to me
And pro-53 takes way less cpu! The thing can barely get above 3% on my MBP.

I like pro-53 as well, but as far as synths that really sound analog, I have to give the nods to the likes of minimonsta, massive, ARP2600, Audio realism semi-modular, automat and especially gladiator. Listen to the oscillators and filters on that thing and you'll hear a difference from most other synths. Though the developer seems like a bit a jerk so I sample the demo to use in kontakt. Might buy it anyways one day though.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:29 pm

^ and wait till you hear Sylenth1 when it comes out for Mac this quarter...

fiz

Post by fiz » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:27 am

Totally agree with comments already made about how cramped Analog feels. Tarekith's excellent review balances its pro's and con's nicely, especially this quote:
Also, the fact that the central display changes based on which pane is selected can be difficult at times. You always need to make sure the right pane is selected when adjusting envelopes, something that catches me out once in awhile even still. While it certainly saves space on the instrument GUI, I wish there was a way to display all parameters at once. In this regard, the original AAS Ultra Analog is much better in my opinion.
Checking out the synths on AAS's home page, I can't help but hope that folks at Ableton do think seriously about offering a toggle in future versions that enlarges the view panel to an all-in-one interface.

As it is, compared to the equally spare, new & improved (and free!!) version of Automat (mac only), I'm afraid I probably won't be using Analog too much. For me, it's not just about the interface being too cramped -- it's that without having an easy access to all of the controls, I don't feel able to explore sound making freely. Presets are fine, but enjoyable sound design requires ease of use more than anything else, for me at least. I don't want to have to think about where something is during that process...which, unfortunately, Analog in its current state heavily requires.

Final nit -- what's up with only 4 waveforms? Is it just me or is there no triangle form?

I totally dig the variable noise tone, however. That is really nice.

So yes, please Ableton, some more room to enjoy this goodness you've created would be an awesome thing!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:35 am

It still takes me an age to try and remember where the Envelope -> Filter cutoff lives.

for me that's quite a major control to situate far away from the filter and in a completely different style GUI

what was the usability concept behind that decision?
"It's easier to use a synth where conected controls are far away from each other,in a different font, in a different color and a different style because .... users like to think hard and look around a lot when they use one of the most basic parameters?"

hmmmm

blank

Post by blank » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:26 am

At the start I was not impressed at all by analog, now since I'm used to the interface I find this synth pretty useful and capable of some well sounding analog classics.

I had the same experience with operator and now it's one of the synth I use the most.

The analog Gui is, well, a bit confusing and the absence of basics controls management are a bit shitty but I still really like it.
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:24 am

in my personal opinion, it does what it is meant to do well (sound wise). It is the closest software ive heard having the robust analog character that you find in analog synthesizers of the past. The thing really reminds me of my yamaha cs40m in regards to sub roundness. Ive tried alot of other emulations and can say that to me, they just sound like software. except for the ms20 legacy of course, that thing is so cool

fiz

Post by fiz » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:22 am

adhmzaiusz wrote:in my personal opinion, it does what it is meant to do well (sound wise). It is the closest software ive heard having the robust analog character that you find in analog synthesizers of the past.
Thanks for your view here. Yours and blank's both left me wondering if I might have missed something in my initial time spent with Analog. Early this morning I returned to it and, more slowly and carefully, messed around. This time I found myself starting to appreciate how the small, compratively cramped design slowed me down...enough to listen more closely than I usually do. Though I personally would prefer an optional full-size all-in-one interface, I think I can live without one and actually use this thing, and even appreciate this idiosyncratic quality it has.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:57 pm

i like the sound, hate the interface. maybe it makes me soft, but i pretty much decide what to use based on interface (because i hate spending time mousing around to get something). i think they need to redesign the interface so that everything you need on a high level is immediately available, then let you drill down if you need other things.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:25 pm

Same here, love the sound, not so much the interface, well, mainly lack of features, like proper velocity options.

I do, however, LOVE the sound! The filters and the PWM are so tasty, reminds me a lot of the Roland analogues, like the early part of the SH series. Yum.

Shameless plug: hoffman2k and I flex out some really mad Analog patches here:
http://www.covops.org/index.php/Product ... Synth.html

mdk

Post by mdk » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:56 pm

its just really boring. like the original.
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

fiz

Post by fiz » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:39 am

Thought I'd come back to kick a dead horse just a little more....

I was trying way too hard to be all Zen and shit when I said that Analog slows me down. Yeah, it slows me down, while leaving my eyes bloodshot from too much squinting.

Now I get it: the interface for Analog in Live realy does just suck. After a coupla weeks sniffing around and trying stuff out (and buying Zebra2, hell yeah!), it's obvious that the Live Analog interface is painfully unworkable.

Operator is wonderfully minimalist -- it works great for what it is, no complaints there. But Analog -- please Abes, do us a favor and have AAS include a full-size splash page option that rivals their own Ultra Analog VA-1. It's silly to keep things squished and tidy if you can't use them. And if you do keep Analog the way it is, it will be dead weight for folks wanting to actually use the synth for making sounds.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:02 am

fiz wrote: It's silly to keep things squished and tidy if you can't use them. And if you do keep Analog the way it is, it will be dead weight for folks wanting to actually use the synth for making sounds.
yeah this is a general comment that I hope Ableton sees that is becoming more of an issue with each release

it seems Ableton are trying really hard to keep with their original all-in-one interface philosophy but i think it started to not work from Live 4 onwards and is getting progressively worse

maybe everyone at Ableton HQ has a 24" iMac but out in the real world many people are using laptops, and those macbook screens are tiny

I find across the board in Live it's easier to use macros and my controller with instant mapping, and a lot of that is for this reason, but only 8 macros makes that quite a challenge