Noob upgrading from 6 to 7.03 on OSX - best way to install?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Geo Safari

Noob upgrading from 6 to 7.03 on OSX - best way to install?

Post by Geo Safari » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:08 pm

K, I've been really slack!
But now I'm finally ready to install my live 7 upgrade!
Can someone write some noob-friendly directions for installing live7 on OSX?
I am currently running live 6 + I've got some effects i downloaded, that I don't want live 7 to install over and destroy!!!
Do I need to uninstall live 6 first?

Thanks for your time.

G
Last edited by Geo Safari on Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andydes

Post by andydes » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:39 pm

No, you can install Live 7 alongside 6.

Create a new library for 7 and a new folder for live 7 sets. Install all the relevent live packs for 7. There's packs there to give you all the samples needed for backward compatability.

VSTs and AUs can stay in the same place, the folder will be referenced by both versions. You'll need to set the VST folder in the preferences.

When working on old songs, open and save a copy in a new Live 7 folder straight away. Live 6 won't open anything that's been saved in 7, so if you save a copy, you can go back to Live 6, incase you run into a problem.

Once you're sure everything's working fine, you can unistall live 6 if you want. Safest thing is to keep version 6 and all the old files intact for now. If in the future, you want to delete the old versions of your sets, make sure you use the file manager to ensure you don't delete any refrenced samples.

I just leave all my old files and versions and save a new copy for Live 7 when i work on a old track. Haven't run into a problem yet.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what happens to any effect and instrument presets you've created, I only tend to create them in sets. Must be a easy way to copy them from the old library. Depends where you've put them I guess.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:48 pm

andydes wrote:No, you can install Live 7 alongside 6.

Create a new library for 7 and a new folder for live 7 sets. Install all the relevent live packs for 7. There's packs there to give you all the samples needed for backward compatability.

VSTs and AUs can stay in the same place, the folder will be referenced by both versions. You'll need to set the VST folder in the preferences.

When working on old songs, open and save a copy in a new Live 7 folder straight away. Live 6 won't open anything that's been saved in 7, so if you save a copy, you can go back to Live 6, incase you run into a problem.

Once you're sure everything's working fine, you can unistall live 6 if you want. Safest thing is to keep version 6 and all the old files intact for now. If in the future, you want to delete the old versions of your sets, make sure you use the file manager to ensure you don't delete any refrenced samples.

I just leave all my old files and versions and save a new copy for Live 7 when i work on a old track. Haven't run into a problem yet.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what happens to any effect and instrument presets you've created, I only tend to create them in sets. Must be a easy way to copy them from the old library. Depends where you've put them I guess.
Yes, be careful when and if you delete 6. Dumbass that I am, I deleted the app without doing any proper file management. Made a copy of everything on back, so no probs, but I should have been more careful. Battlestar Galactica premiere was starting, so I was a bit distracted. Doh!

Geo Safari

Post by Geo Safari » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:11 am

thanks guys!
i got v. 7.03 up and running and im lovin it!
and im keepin 6 - for back up.
i am enjoying slightly improved latency + that little notepad feature! What are other ppl finding awesome in v.7?

Thanks again.

Geo