TTA's DrumDroid. Any good?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
logic_user99

TTA's DrumDroid. Any good?

Post by logic_user99 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:22 pm

http://www.trackteamaudio.com/drumdroid.html

This seems like a pretty stupid question, and for £15 I don't know why I'm asking it...

Anyone know if TeamTrackAudio's drumdroid is good? The talk-up makes it sound excellent, but I'm always a little wary of sample-based instruments/packs...!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:37 pm

i've been enjoying using it for sure..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

Winston

Post by Winston » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:24 pm

I just picked it up for a bunch of quick drum racks, and I'm having fun with them. I just wanted something quick to load up when I wanted to jam with a drum controller without having to create a rack from scratch. And given that no default presets come with live for drum racks, it's a nice addition for when you're feeling lazy.

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:28 pm

What are the sounds like? I

s there enough glitchy/electronica-related stuff to get some decent shiz going...?
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Winston

Post by Winston » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:36 pm

logic_user99 wrote:What are the sounds like? I

s there enough glitchy/electronica-related stuff to get some decent shiz going...?
For the most part the sounds are pretty nice. I find there are some repeated sounds between kits, but there's plenty there to keep busy with for a while. It's sort of glitchy, but not overly so. I don't know, I guess it depends how glitchy you think glitchy is. I think the sound demos on the site give you about the best idea you'll get, better than words. You have checked the sound demos on the site right?

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:17 pm

Winston wrote: For the most part the sounds are pretty nice. I find there are some repeated sounds between kits, but there's plenty there to keep busy with for a while. It's sort of glitchy, but not overly so. I don't know, I guess it depends how glitchy you think glitchy is. I think the sound demos on the site give you about the best idea you'll get, better than words. You have checked the sound demos on the site right?
Work's computer has a crappy soundcard, so they might not be exactly as I'm supposed to hear!

I'm gonna get it anyway - I need some instant drum sounds in Live...and it's only £15!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

nepotist

Post by nepotist » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:11 pm

i think its great, and i love how when you load it the drum racks are all nicely filled, with no spaces in between pads.
The Sales Department
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
BANDCAMP Download "Airlock" free-10 songs recorded in 10 Days

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:28 am

its really great.

keep in mind there are some other drum racks out there. also glitchy/electronic.

covert operators have some drum racks in MELTDOWN and in the latest "surgical tools" -- the "surgical tools" drum rack is all-operator, so its very tweaked out.

i used to hate the idea of preset/sample-packs, but i've picked up every ableton-specific preset-pack released from every vendor (i think) and i've been quite satisfied

nepotist

Post by nepotist » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:39 am

out of curiosity why didn't you like sample packs etc? I wasn't too into it either but i found with live everything was so tweakable that it was easy to make something my own if i wanted to.
The Sales Department
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
BANDCAMP Download "Airlock" free-10 songs recorded in 10 Days

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:53 am

nepotist wrote:out of curiosity why didn't you like sample packs etc? I wasn't too into it either but i found with live everything was so tweakable that it was easy to make something my own if i wanted to.
ableton has also changed my attitude. i think i really didn't like the idea of samplers for some time and i had this over-ambitious goal over everything being pure synthesis. the abe samplers changed my mind, possibly because of the way they look more than anything else. crap reason i know, but i think its the dirty truth for me.

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:37 am

I opted for Covert Operators' 'MELTDOWN' pack. There's some really sweet stuff in there; plenty that's tweakable. The drum racks are good, but it's the pads and raw samples where the fun really lies.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |