Matthew Dear's HD stolen mid set

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:02 pm

thelike5 wrote:What the fuck are you talking about? You need konntakt use the software? Do you even know what you are doing?

I know there was some strangeness with Ableton Live reading a file created in an NI application but this didn't render the software useless you twit!!

An inconvient workaround sure, big deal. Dude, cry me a river. Does everyhting have to be tailored to your needs?

Go back in your shit infested trough.
..... wow, you really are thick.
if they say live6 can import .nki libraries and it can't ....that doesn't render the software useless, but it does mean the .nki import function doesn't work right. depending on your luck it's either 100% fun, or 100% sucks. The workaround, which only worked sometimes in the first place, was to open the .nki library in an authorised/licensed version of kontakt...resave the .nki and hope for the best.

useless if you don't own kontakt.
and costly, if you just bought a bunch of .nki libraries.
spreader of butter

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:16 pm

I'm not hating on anyone. I don't know Matthew Dear from Alistair Darling. I'm sure he's really nice guy.

My point is that if something can go wrong, it will, which makes taking reasonable precautions necessary, especially if you're getting paid for what you do.

And if my comments, admittedly harsh, help someone else to gain a little foresight to avoid the same kind of mishap, then it's worth it.

http://us.kensington.com/html/11179.html

astromass

Post by astromass » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:21 pm

having a hard drive crash 6 months ago was the BEST thing to happen to me...
nyquist theorem and nyquil...

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:30 pm

b0unce wrote:
thelike5 wrote:What the fuck are you talking about? You need konntakt use the software? Do you even know what you are doing?

I know there was some strangeness with Ableton Live reading a file created in an NI application but this didn't render the software useless you twit!!

An inconvient workaround sure, big deal. Dude, cry me a river. Does everyhting have to be tailored to your needs?

if they say live6 can import .nki libraries and it can't ....that doesn't render the software useless, but it does mean the .nki import function doesn't work right. depending on your luck it's either 100% fun, or 100% sucks. The workaround, which only worked sometimes in the first place, was to open the .nki library in an authorised/licensed version of kontakt...resave the .nki and hope for the best.

:lol:

Hmmm... this seems to me like it would be an incompatability issue on NI's end, not Ableton's. I could be wrong but both parties would be at fault wouldn't they?

What was NI's response? Just out of curiousity. Did they tell you to get tossed first, then you emabrresed yourself on this forum (more so than you do every day?)

Sue time! Refund time! Look for an excuse to get what I want without paying for it time!

Yes, I am crazy but I can spot a bullshitter a mile away. Haven't lost that gift!

mattjhuber

Post by mattjhuber » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:32 pm

astromass wrote:having a hard drive crash 6 months ago was the BEST thing to happen to me...
Hmmm...what do you mean by that?

This seems to happen so often...especially to touring folks - getting their entire van/trailer ripped off (which would be a bit more devastating than this, even). I remember reading that Brian Transeau had a freakin' ton stolen from him as well (a couple Macbook Pros, Hard drives, synths, etc).
Ableton, Reason, Guitar and other Madness....
matthuber.wordpress.com

Check it

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:34 pm

mattjhuber wrote:
astromass wrote:having a hard drive crash 6 months ago was the BEST thing to happen to me...
Hmmm...what do you mean by that?

This seems to happen so often...especially to touring folks - getting their entire van/trailer ripped off (which would be a bit more devastating than this, even). I remember reading that Brian Transeau had a freakin' ton stolen from him as well (a couple Macbook Pros, Hard drives, synths, etc).
Oh god, now BT's getting brought into this...

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:30 pm

thelike5 wrote:
b0unce wrote:

:lol:

Hmmm... this seems to me like it would be an incompatability issue on NI's end, not Ableton's. I could be wrong but both parties would be at fault wouldn't they?

What was NI's response? Just out of curiousity. Did they tell you to get tossed first, then you emabrresed yourself on this forum (more so than you do every day?)

Sue time! Refund time! Look for an excuse to get what I want without paying for it time!

Yes, I am crazy but I can spot a bullshitter a mile away. Haven't lost that gift!
heh, go fuck yourself. You've clearly illustrated you have no idea about the INS & OUTS of that situation and yet you don't let that get in the way of your assumptions. Which is a little kooky considering your assumptions have a 100% fail rate thus far.

it was absolutely an ableton problem, as they admitted privately to me and to the board.
spreader of butter

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:43 pm

God, it never ceases to amaze me in this forum how even a mildly interesting discussion can morph into a totally irrelevant, bullshit infested series of posts. I love every minute of it.

Wait.

No.

Fuck off, the lot of you.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:34 am

no shit! I was there that night. Didnt stick long enough to see this happen though. Probably saw the first hour or so of his set

There were a couple shady characters in that place that night. There was especially a group of 3 or 4 guys hanging close to the DJ corner, who looked like they wanted to start some trouble... but I think they took off even before Dear went on. So, I'm assuming it wasnt them :lol:

Sucks for the guy.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:16 am

thelike5 wrote: Hmmm... this seems to me like it would be an incompatability issue on NI's end, not Ableton's. I could be wrong but both parties would be at fault wouldn't they?
Just nerding out a bit here, tomorrow's my night out, anyway.....

If Sampler is advertised as being able to import Kontakt library files and cannot, it's in no way NI's fault. Sampler is not an NI product, and NI make .nki libraries for Kontakt, not third party samplers. Ableton advertising that Sampler can read and translate .nki files is in no way an NI issue, period.

Now a lot of third party samplers import AKAI and .nki as well as .exs sample library formats, so in no way is it cutting edge or unreasonable to expect that a sampler advertised as being able to do this should be able to.

OK now you two go back to calling each other cunts and such. :twisted:

massiveheadpain

Post by massiveheadpain » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:43 pm

are most of you brooklyn vegan blog comment posters too? cuz I read some of the comments there and they seem to match a lot of what is said here.....

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:12 pm

massiveheadpain wrote:are most of you brooklyn vegan blog comment posters too? cuz I read some of the comments there and they seem to match a lot of what is said here.....
Nope, never even been to the site before until yesterday.

As far as the NI files, ok, I just wanted to know if bOuncey checked in with them first and was curious as to how fast they told him to go and get fucked. That's all. I'm glad he feels a company like Ableton should give him the free upgrade. So, if everyone here thinks its right, go and complain to Ableton and get your 6 to 7 upgrade for free. Maybe you will put them out if business or cost a developer or to a job. Then they can hire someone for less money that is less skilled and we can we even more bugs. Yeah!

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:40 pm

massiveheadpain wrote:are most of you brooklyn vegan blog comment posters too? cuz I read some of the comments there and they seem to match a lot of what is said here.....
Not me, but i must say, reading that post and some of the comments following it made me feel much better about myself.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:52 pm

thelike5 wrote:
Nope, never even been to the site before until yesterday.

As far as the NI files, ok, I just wanted to know if bOuncey checked in with them first and was curious as to how fast they told him to go and get fucked. That's all. I'm glad he feels a company like Ableton should give him the free upgrade. So, if everyone here thinks its right, go and complain to Ableton and get your 6 to 7 upgrade for free. Maybe you will put them out if business or cost a developer or to a job. Then they can hire someone for less money that is less skilled and we can we even more bugs. Yeah!
None of what you said makes any sense. From all accounts b0unce bought Sampler right away, and bought some sample libraries for it, which isn't a big surprise considering it doesn't come with any, (lame IMO), and they didn't work. Fortunately for Ableton not everybody did this, otherwise they would all be as ticked off.
NI are not at all responsible for third party sample libraries that are made to work in Kontakt not working in Ableton's Sampler, but Ableton stating that Sampler will import Kontakt libraries is directly Ableton's responsibility, that you can't see that, and are trying to shift blame, and paint out the customer as wrong etc. is pretty funny really. But then, it's just a vain attempt at attacking b0unce isn't it?

Also, it's pathetic that you're trying to paint NI out to be asshole here. At least keep complaints against companies to issues they deserve them for. :roll:

brownbrown

Post by brownbrown » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:09 pm

sucks, but at least he had a backup. i had my laptop stolen from my apartment while i away for christmas break. the LA police said "forget about it, we got murders to worry about."

i never saw it again.