For those having reaktor... and any kind of time coded vinyl

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hervé

For those having reaktor... and any kind of time coded vinyl

Post by Hervé » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:13 pm

great great fun :-)
reaktor's first vinyl time-code reader and a little more
ammobox contains a very simple modular vinyl time-code reader that supports all brands of vinyl-time code and can probably be made to support any new ones that come out based on the existing techniques.

:arrow: http://www.native-instruments.com/index ... tchid=7085

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:05 pm

ace! what information does it actually send out? midi CCs?
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:21 pm

looks like two decks, A and B, both are shown, just with different windows open. on the B deck it looks like to pick the song in that window in the upper right corner. from there you'd route the timecode vinyl into Live, that plug in would output vinyl controlled audio. I imagine he could cook up a feature that would do what you're asking.

I see Reaktor in your sig, what tools does Reaktor have that he might have used to make this? can you write code in Python/C/Java and encapsulate it into a Reaktor patch, I think that's what Nathan did and was the part of his code he wanted Ableton to pick up from him.

I'm pretty sure that plug in does more than just scratch, he's hinted at much more.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

mdk

Post by mdk » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:54 pm

he built his own timecode handling stuff using 'reaktor core', the low level stuff in reaktor, kind of like C programming but more painful :)

i think this is the vital component :

http://www.native-instruments.com/index ... tchid=6963

i should have guessed he was up to something with all that pitch detection stuff...

i just wish i had some turntables.
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:16 pm

so, apparently, you don't need the convertor box like is required with Serato? Does Ammobox convert the timecode and convert said conversion to usable information?

Que pasa?
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

Nathan Ramella

Post by Nathan Ramella » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:23 pm

Here's a demo of it in action so you can see whats going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZI-0zagrvU
remix.net - versus / liveapi / hangthedj / ammobox

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:33 pm

I think...

what Ms Pinky is to max/msp, Ammobox is to Reaktor. except Ammobox is donationware and doesn't come with timecode vinyl. if you have Reaktor and a turntable, throw Nathan a few bucks and get this!

I think.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:48 pm

so, apparently, you don't need the convertor box like is required with Serato? Does Ammobox convert the timecode and convert said conversion to usable information?

Que pasa?
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

Nathan Ramella

Post by Nathan Ramella » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:00 pm

kabuki wrote:so, apparently, you don't need the convertor box like is required with Serato? Does Ammobox convert the timecode and convert said conversion to usable information?

Que pasa?
You just need a low latency sound card (which is all the serato, audio8, finalscratch boxes are)

I've tested it out with my M-Audio 410 Firewire, Kore1 and Audio8.. And, yeah, it does covert it to useful information -- either frequency (as detected) or simply 'speed' in the form of a float with 1.0 being 33rpm forward, -1.0 being 33rpm backwards) with ranges inbetween and over those values.

So it's pretty modular and can be used in other apps than simply 'just' a sampler like I implemented in ammobox.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:03 pm

BONER!

Oops sorry. Got a little excited. I haven't used Reactor in a long time... but that may soon change.

Mas gravitas! or something like that.

Piece.

Nathan Ramella

Post by Nathan Ramella » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:19 pm

mdk wrote:he built his own timecode handling stuff using 'reaktor core', the low level stuff in reaktor, kind of like C programming but more painful :)

i think this is the vital component :

http://www.native-instruments.com/index ... tchid=6963

i should have guessed he was up to something with all that pitch detection stuff...
Bingo. I was playing with Reaktor Freak's synvoiczer and got somewhat captivated by the pitch detector he had (in Primary), and since that ensemble + FFT vocoder took up like 50% cpu I got it in my mind to rewrite synvoiczer to be more efficent, hence the core pitch detector.

Once I had the pitch detector done I remembered the time-code stuff which I haven't thought about or done anything in ages, I hit the books on how it works and jotted down the things I needed to do to make a bare-bones vinyl decoder for Reaktor.

If you're gonna learn how to program Core, it may as well be something that's useful when you're done. I did a couple 'hello world's to understand it but went for broke after that.

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:26 pm

i'm not much of a reaktor hacker but could this 'useful' information be used to transmit data like midi CCs? that would be great and enable all kinds of useful things, controlling filters with MSPinky etc..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

Nathan Ramella

Post by Nathan Ramella » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:35 pm

nobbystylus wrote:i'm not much of a reaktor hacker but could this 'useful' information be used to transmit data like midi CCs? that would be great and enable all kinds of useful things, controlling filters with MSPinky etc..
Ms. Pinky and ammobox are kind of similar, Ms. Pinky is more reliable (It uses FFTs, has a lot of science behind it), ammobox is basically a cheap knockoff of the core functionality (reading timecode)

If you have Max/MSP, use Ms. Pinky, if you have Reaktor you have no choice but to use ammobox (until someone comes out with something better, but ammobox is the first!)

But basically they're orthogonal, anything that ammobox can do Ms. Pinky can do better, you just need to know Max to make that happen.

Since currently ammobox is the only game in town right now for Reaktor, if you're a Reaktor user it's pretty badass.

I like Reaktor a lot more than Max, but haven't spent much time in Max lately, to be honest and quite shallow I find Max's UI to be ugly and working inside of it to be a pain, but the last time I looked at it was a year ago and they're supposed to be coming out with a new version in a few days/weeks that might make it top of the heap?

I've got 6 years of Reaktor under my belt tho, so it's unlikely I'm going to be switching to anything else, even though I'm not a huge fan of how NI manages it's community, it has a great user library and I understand it (even more now that I can program core)

kpa

Post by kpa » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:30 pm

i am mega impressed by this, can it scratch real time audio, or do you have to pop the audio into a sampler to give it a midi note?

also, this might not be to forum etiquette, so ignore if its not allowed, but i am unable to register my copy of reaktor, so i cant access the user library, but would like a copy of this plug-in. would anyone be able to email me a copy of the ammobox plug in, or can i get it from nathan directly?
Cryptomnesian - the recall of memories not recognised as such, but thought to be original ideas.
www.Cryptomnesian.com
www.myspace.com/thekpa
www.myspace.com/thebodesapha

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:01 pm

kpa wrote: i am unable to register my copy of reaktor, so i cant access the user library
if you have trouble registering your legit copy of reaktor got to :
http://www.native-instruments.com/index ... uppfrm&L=1

if not...