Electronic Heavy Rock/Metal?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DrXparaMental

Electronic Heavy Rock/Metal?

Post by DrXparaMental » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:33 pm

Hey All
It's me coming at you a little (or a GREAT deal by many's estimation) confused and curious as usual.

Deep down inside my favorite flavor of music is "heavy". Thing is, "heavy" can mean so many different things to so many different people that it's tough to pick up recommended listening material based on descriptions or labels alone.

Lately I have been listening to a good deal of diverse electronic oriented music. From Squarepusher to KMFDM, from Bile to Pig Face. What I would like to do is find more crunchy head banging material like KMFDM and Rammstein.

Can anyone recommend some what I would call groove oriented heavy rock/metal dance type stuff.

forgive me as I am not trying to be some elitist noobie knowitall snob but I would like to stick with groove oriented stuff. Staying away from 360 plus BPM, death type vocals and stuff in general that is not guitar oriented. Need that groove crunch that goes bang in the night.

if you please...

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:56 pm

I'd say, go into your local CD emporium and check out what they have to offer.

Of this ilk, I'm liking that Linkin Park 'Reanimation' album. 'This Is Menace' is a little like that, too. Can't really recall much else.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:04 pm

logic_user99 wrote:I'd say, go into your local CD emporium and check out what they have to offer.

Of this ilk, I'm liking that Linkin Park 'Reanimation' album. 'This Is Menace' is a little like that, too. Can't really recall much else.
Oh that there were a CD emporium to go to! They are almost extinct where I live. Off the Record was a world class hang out where DJs and Techno heads from all over the world had their pictures taken in a little spot called Ferndale just outside Detroit. It closed 2 months ago. Just ran into one of the guys that worked there a few weeks ago at the Fringe Fest where he was doing a DJ gig. Sad. :cry:

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:16 pm

Check out:

Machines of Loving Grace

White Zombie
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:25 pm

check out The Sounds of Animals Fighting - they sample Neurosis and stuff like that and layer sampled vocals, and actual guitars, singing, etc over it. Not exactly what you are looking for, but close and inspirational.

laird

Post by laird » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:27 pm

Sounds to me like you want Industrial music.... that term might upset those of us old enough to remember when industrial music had no guitars or dance beats, but it fits.

Machines of Loving grace, like ChiDJ suggests.
Ministry, NIN? Recent Skinny Puppy?
Almost anything that was on reconstriction records last decade.
http://www.discogs.com/label/Re-constriction+Records
Or Invisible records, like Killing Joke
or Godflesh's older albums... (Slavestate, Streetcleaner)
Big Black

all my examples are old.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:31 pm

that's not industrial, that's nu metal. anyone who hasn't heard those bands has been living under a rock. good stuff though.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

fortycoats

Post by fortycoats » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:48 pm

you should check out drumcorps
http://www.myspace.com/drumc0rps

cutting pink with knives are very good, i only have popluxxe, must get my hands on more stuff by them
http://www.myspace.com/cuttingpinkwithknives

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:02 pm

Tone Deft wrote:that's not industrial, that's nu metal. anyone who hasn't heard those bands has been living under a rock. good stuff though.
woh! Tone's horns is showin'. Yeah, I have all that stuff for the most part. I bought Too Dark Park when it came out and of course the Mins are cool. I remember being blown away by killing joke's pandemonium when it came out. The thing is, is that I am looking for tighter and more synced stuff like KMFDM's latest stuff or Rammstein's material.

a good descriptive analogy would be like Metallica s/t (black album) period stuff meets industrial dance. (by dance I mean timed in even structures, that's where the groove comes in)

I totally agree with doc. What I am looking for is industrial in nature but with more emphasis on tight rhythmic metal guitars/drums and less on the machinery. Not scary movie drone like Fear factory either. Stuff that's just not retarded (ever see a wagon wheel appear to go backward?) or unnaturally fast n thrashy. Also no cookies please. I like to be able understand what the vocalist (if there are any vocals) is expressing.

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:11 pm

http://www.bong-ra.com/ Metal and breakcore

Favorite Godflesh album, all of them are good though.

channelite

Post by channelite » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:15 pm

Check out:

Sister Machine Gun - Torture Technique

One of my all time favs.

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:20 pm

http://shop.relapse.com/artist/artist.a ... stID=10051

Halo= s l o w industrial noise rock.

http://shop.relapse.com/search_results. ... 0nosebleed

Agoraphobic Nosebleed= drum machine grind core

Best album, disc two has remixes from DJ Speedranch, Merzbow, Justin Broadrick (Jesu, Godflesh), and James Plotkin (Phantomsmasher, Khanate), Machinedrum
Last edited by suburbanbather on Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:23 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:woh! Tone's horns is showin'. Yeah, I have all that stuff for the most part. I bought Too Dark Park when it came out and of course the Mins are cool. I remember being blown away by killing joke's pandemonium when it came out. The thing is, is that I am looking for tighter and more synced stuff like KMFDM's latest stuff or Rammstein's material.
nice! I just picked up the 10,000 Homo DJs album, saw it in the used section, had to get it. sorry 'bout the 'horns', just shot of a quick message before running off to work. I've also had some conversations lately with people really into the industrial scene who scoff at nu metal.

ever check out Consolidated or The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6CgotCUtMo <--- The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy - Television. Michael Franti before Spearhead.

not exactly what you're looking for, I'm just tripping down memory lane.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

laird

Post by laird » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:26 pm

"Nu Metal" is Korn, not KMFDM....

laird

Post by laird » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:27 pm

but hat 1000 homo Djs single is a must have.
NIN + Ministry side project....