Native Live vocoder in the pipeline ??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beatpoet

Native Live vocoder in the pipeline ??

Post by beatpoet » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:54 am

Watch the video about 5min 33sec in

http://www.musotalk.de/special/detailan ... e-ableton/

Certainly looks like one to me, I can just about make out the word vocoder on the device in the bottom left hand corner.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:15 am

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:16 am

[double post. grrrr...]

Bagle

Post by Bagle » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:17 am

i take it you didnt watch the robert henke video going around

where he calls them exotic effects and totally useless, then asks who uses them anymore

finishing off with we are not making a vocoder for live.

no offence but thank god, there horrible horrible effects
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:19 am

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:11 am

Angstrom wrote:the official word

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOTZk0fD6Qs
yeah - the most interesting thing about this video is it's from the Ableton Youtube account.......

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:06 am

Wouldn't be a bad addition imo

Perhaps Mr. Henke was doing a bit of damage limitation on this one. They've obviously spent the time developing it. Why not give it to us, whatever his feelings about it. It would be really complemented with Lives flexible routing.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:19 am

beatpoet wrote:Wouldn't be a bad addition imo

Perhaps Mr. Henke was doing a bit of damage limitation on this one. They've obviously spent the time developing it. Why not give it to us, whatever his feelings about it. It would be really complemented with Lives flexible routing.
it's totally feasible that there are things going on at Abe HQ that some of them don't know about - the program is getting complex!

during the beta one developer I dealt with didn't know about the slicer!

they have tasks they each work on - the guy doing the "vocoder" in the video I think someone said is the guy who did the new compressor and came from another company - it would appear to work on devices

meanwhile Robert has been touring the world with his own music - I could totally believe he just had no idea about it! :lol:

I also totally believe that the video Angstrom linked was made by someone at Ableton to tease him about it

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:37 pm

Robert Henke wrote:OMFG. You guys start seriously trying to analyse my aswers.... ?!?!?!
So.
Here we go:

I was surprised that this video at the Ableton office was made. I am on tour and I had no idea. So, it makes sense that I was confused. I mean, more confused then usual.

We might be working on a vocoder. We might be working on something else. We might be working on something in between a vocoder and something else.
What ever it is, it will not slow down development of other urgent features.
( And yes, we KNOW that crossfades in arranger are missing and ...(insert ist here ) ) Different developpers work on different things. Some things are useful for user A and some for user B.

Working on nice effects and instruments is a good thing to do. We can come up with own flavors of things, we can make Live a more complete package for someone who does not want to install ten VSTis that might not work again with the next OS version and so on...

Do I think a Vocoder is a cool thing? Yes. I do. There is much more that can be done with a Vocoder then a Daft Punk track. And, Vocoder A might sound different from Vocoder B, allowing you to do different kinds of things...

I think, that thing one of our developpers is currently coding, and that you saw on the screen, will gona be a shit load of fun once out. I personally really looking forward to have it. And I am not using Vocoders usually.

Robert
short version : "Argh!! I just spoke to the office and they are working on a Vocoder! ah well, at least it will be a good one "

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 084#649084

julienb

Post by julienb » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:54 pm

wow!
a vocoder..!

I just would like to get answer for THE partnership (or else) we all think about.
I mean: open Live to Max, OSC worlds!!!
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

forge

Post by forge » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:16 pm

Angstrom wrote: short version : "Argh!! I just spoke to the office and they are working on a Vocoder! ah well, at least it will be a good one "

:wink:

thing is, knowing Ableton, they will now deliberately leave it for Live 9 - or even 8.1 just to fuck us all up

julienb

Post by julienb » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:20 pm

forge wrote:
Angstrom wrote: short version : "Argh!! I just spoke to the office and they are working on a Vocoder! ah well, at least it will be a good one "

thing is, knowing Ableton, they will now deliberately leave it for Live 9 - or even 8.1 just to fuck us all up
ahah... :lol:

and MY so dreamed fu.....g feature ???? the Open API or something like that???? planned for Live 12 ????????? :evil:
Julien Bayle

forge

Post by forge » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:26 pm

julienb wrote:
forge wrote:

ahah... :lol:

and MY so dreamed fu.....g feature ???? the Open API or something like that???? planned for Live 12 ????????? :evil:
you have any idea how long I hassled them about Safe solo?

they finally gave it to us in Live 7 - I probably first started asking in about Live 3! :wink:

julienb

Post by julienb » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:28 pm

ok, I can dream for it in Live 11 :-)
Julien Bayle

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:39 pm

Robert Henke wrote: There is much more that can be done with a Vocoder then a Daft Punk track.
FALSE!