Zebra2 now or wait Ableton Cycling '74 newcomers ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Zebra2 now or Cycling 74/Ableton in the future?

Zebra2 Now
56%
Cycling '74/Ableton forthcoming features later
44%

Total votes: 27

Pasha

Zebra2 now or wait Ableton Cycling '74 newcomers ?

Post by Pasha » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:58 am

Max 5 is out.
Ableton partnered with Cycling '74 some months ago.
We could expect a modular synth in the future? I think so.
But.....

Better Zebra2 Now or wait for an integrated Ableton environment?
The answer to the forum!

- Best
- Pasha :P
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:18 am

I've got Max and Zebra2. In I should choose over Ableton/Cycling collaboration in the future - that we know almost nothing about - and Zebra2 now, today, I'd pick Zebra 2 now (life is short anyhow).

In case I'd be forced to choose between zebra 2 or Max 5 today, my obvious choise would be Max. My main tools for sound design are Evolver and Abletons Sampler anyway. Zebra has fallen kind of out of my favor.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:14 am

LeifonMars wrote:I've got Max and Zebra2. In I should choose over Ableton/Cycling collaboration in the future - that we know almost nothing about - and Zebra2 now, today, I'd pick Zebra 2 now (life is short anyhow).

In case I'd be forced to choose between zebra 2 or Max 5 today, my obvious choise would be Max. My main tools for sound design are Evolver and Abletons Sampler anyway. Zebra has fallen kind of out of my favor.
I guess it's because the totally free ability of Max/MSP to let you designe all kinda stuff isn't it? Zebra2 it's "only" a Synth anyway... :roll:
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Poster

Re: Zebra2 now or wait Ableton Cycling '74 newcomers ?

Post by Poster » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:26 am

Pasha wrote: We could expect a modular synth in the future? I think so.
I don't think you'll find anything even close to Zebra to come with the AbeCycle..

so buy Zebra if you think you need it..

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:03 am

ya, and, what kind of timeline are you on ?
cycling have JUST released max5 yesterday, and people are expecting to see the fruit of abe&cycling74 when ? ...tomorro ? next week ?
more like months and months chaps.

So ya, get your piddling zebra synth
spreader of butter

style_riser

Post by style_riser » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:41 am

I more looking forward to this AVA project here:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=120

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:43 am

LeifonMars > Are you an actuary?

I ask because your contribution to this thread has a very actuarial tone... :)

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:26 pm

mmmmm a draw. I don't like it :x
Mac Studio M1

forge

Post by forge » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:35 pm

personally I'd say if you want Zebra then get it, don't hold your breath for the collab, I think it's unlikely we'll see the fruits of that before Live 8, which might be before Xmas based on previous versions

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:17 am

Thanks to all the posters,
Before this post I wasn't aware of Zebra2, I was bending towards Absynth,
then I saw many references to Zebra2 in the forum and downloaded the demo.
It was pure enlightenment. I also know that MAX/MSP is capable of creating a modular synth of any kind. Looking at Ableton-Cycling '74 I thought that maybe it could have been worth the wait because I think Ableton instrument offer lacks power & flexibility in the Synth department. Operator is good, while Analog is basic and has an interface that prevents fun. That's why I think we could see improvements in that area but I'm with you. It makes no sense try to have a single integrated environment if you don't know for sure what's next. I'll try to qualify for the Dinosaur Upgrade and see. It's a lot of bucks after the Boxed Suite but now I'm left with my MIDI Hardware or add Zebra2 and try to sell my HW gear on eBay or xchange it for some other hardware like a new Audio card....That way I'll get rid of that MIDI to Audio rendering that stops and slows my workflow even if I love hardware...

:roll:

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:19 am

littlepig wrote:LeifonMars > Are you an actuary?

I ask because your contribution to this thread has a very actuarial tone... :)
Lol, actually, not. But could you please be more specific, I'd like to know how do you understand the word "actuarial"?

Cheers

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:47 pm

Z2 now, that's easy. I like abe's, but u-he is one great synth programmer, and I'd bet Z2 sounds better than anything that might come Abe's on this front. At least in the near term.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:34 pm

There is also a version of Zebra coming out called Zebrify (free with Zebra) that supports audio input for FM/Filtering/Ringmod/Etc !

:twisted:
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:06 pm

Kodama wrote:There is also a version of Zebra coming out called Zebrify (free with Zebra) that supports audio input for FM/Filtering/Ringmod/Etc !

:twisted:
Wow! 8O
Mac Studio M1

koranek

Post by koranek » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:54 am

I'm pretty sure that the dino upgrade is still available. Urs is the perfect example of what a modern day DaVinci can do. I love his stuff, and I love the personal feel of his company (for the same reason we like Ableton). Hang out for a while at his KVR forum and you'll see what I mean.

You buy the software from this guy. If you have a problem you get email and sometimes quick fixes from this guy. He shares all kinds of ideas and info with people. This is the closest collaboration you will ever have any software developer.

And did I mention his plugins are great and keep getting better?
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

2020 27" iMac i9 10 core, 64G Ram, OS 10.15.7
Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 11 Sweet