anti spam filters on Mac OS X

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sadmac

anti spam filters on Mac OS X

Post by sadmac » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:56 pm

Well, i can;t hold it anymore..

I am pretty sure that everybody here is receiving spam e mails.

Lately i am receiving approximately 100 of spam e mails a day.

My account is visible and available on my website. I am working on Mac os x.

Please, i need your help. Any suggestions or thoughts would be warmly appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

RhythmSickness

Re: anti spam filters on Mac OS X

Post by RhythmSickness » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:11 pm

sadmac wrote:Well, i can;t hold it anymore..

Please, i need your help. Any suggestions or thoughts would be warmly appreciated.

Thanx in advance.
encode your published email address on your website so that it cant be read by spam bots. http://m.geobytes.com/EmailAddressEncoder.html
Use Gmail for your email, they have very good filters, and forward mail from your current account to it.
G5, G4x2 / G3 Live 3/4/5/6 Reason 2/2.5/3 virb soundclick

sadmac

Re: anti spam filters on Mac OS X

Post by sadmac » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:34 am

RhythmSickness wrote:
sadmac wrote:Well, i can;t hold it anymore..

Thanx in advance.
encode your published email address on your website so that it cant be read by spam bots. http://m.geobytes.com/EmailAddressEncoder.html
Use Gmail for your email, they have very good filters, and forward mail from your current account to it.
thanx, i ll try this.

what you mean by : "use gmail and forward mail from your current account to it??"

do i have to create a gmail account instead the one i have from my website?

RhythmSickness

Post by RhythmSickness » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:36 am

well you don't have to. it's upto you. the spam filters in gmail are very good however. I guess at the end of the day it depends on whether you want your mail online or not

sadmac

Post by sadmac » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:40 am

RhythmSickness wrote:well you don't have to. it's upto you. the spam filters in gmail are very good however. I guess at the end of the day it depends on whether you want your mail online or not
i would like to keep using my web mail account.

i do have a gmail account but i dont want to create a new one. the trouble is in the one which is on my website.

can i simply do what you described above just in this e mail?

will it work like this, without getting involved with gmail?

thanx again

RhythmSickness

Post by RhythmSickness » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:47 am

well the problem is that you've been publishing that email unprotected on a webpage. so that email address is known, so that email address is going to continue to receive spam messages, and this is something which will probably only increase over time, as the address gets traded.

So I would suggest either setting up filters on it, so common spam words funnel messages to your trash, creating mail-from filters, so your main spammers are also going straight to your trash. However this is something you are going to keep having to add to over time as you get new spammers.

The easy way round it would be to simply direct all mail sent to that address to the trash, put a new one on your website that is encoded, and tell all your emailers that you want to keep about your address change.

sadmac

Post by sadmac » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:53 am

i cant change my address.

do you think that i should use the link you gave me anyway?

will it work like this or not, since its on public etc??

RhythmSickness

Post by RhythmSickness » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:56 am

well if you cant change your address, I'd still encode it to stop it being picked up by more bots.

Looks like you are going to have to just set up filters and wade through then

sadmac

Post by sadmac » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:59 am

RhythmSickness wrote:well if you cant change your address, I'd still encode it to stop it being picked up by more bots.

Looks like you are going to have to just set up filters and wade through then
alright, will do that, thank you!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:24 pm

do you read your mail online or offline?

Apple Mail also has a very good trainable spam filter... of course if you can avoid having to download all the crap to your computer in the first place, even better...

if you have to keep the address, probably the best you can do is to have the mail directed through a mail server that you can set to automatically delete obvious spam; then you can use stricter filtering in your mail reader to automatically file any remaining suspected spam to a junk folder... in the end there will always be some pain because you'll probably want to manually skim through the junk folder for legit messages that get clobbered by your reader's spam filter...

there are other tricks you can try to help your filtering, like asking people to use a special recipient, etc... a bit clunky but if your spam reaches totally insane proportions maybe worth trying...