Added randomization for Follow Actions?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ouzoman

Added randomization for Follow Actions?

Post by ouzoman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:03 am

Greetings, my apologies if this has been discussed before:

Just as we use the "*" to have Follow Actions jump to another "any" clip, how could we play a random number of bars of that clip? (instead of having to specify a number of bars in that field above)

Thanks!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:20 am

i think the only way to do this is to have a follow action group containing copies of the same clip, but with different length settings in each clip...

not very elegant, i know...

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:35 am

You could set one of the two follow actions to "any" or "other", and set the second follow action to "play again". Then play with the 'chance' values of the two follow actions. Of course this gives you only the option of lenghts that are multiples of the original follow action length, hence maybe not what you want.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:42 am

btw ouzoman, i'm assuming you are talking about a longish clip, not a short one that you simply want to loop a random number of times?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:21 pm

interesting one.

I like the idea about using 'any' instead of 'other'

if you had a relatively short follow action time, and clips set to legato, then retriggering the same clip would let it play for longer, instead of restarting, right??

That would get less and less effective, the larger the group of clips got, because of the lower chance of triggering the same clip 2 or more times in a row. Maybe you can compensate for that with the follow action odds - to intentionally favor retriggering the playing clip.

not really true random timing though. that's a cool idea for a feature enhancement

I bet you could make a random note generator rack, which would trigger clip launching over MIDI loopback, instead of using follow actions

?

maybe begin with Angstrom's generative thread, to get something like that started

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:33 pm

that actually seems to work pretty well!

for example,

play again:other :: 4:1
length 0.0.2

adjust to taste.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

dr.wackler wrote:You could set one of the two follow actions to "any" or "other", and set the second follow action to "play again". Then play with the 'chance' values of the two follow actions. Of course this gives you only the option of lenghts that are multiples of the original follow action length, hence maybe not what you want.
genius!!

;)

but by setting the follow actions to 0.0.1 length - then really any timing is a possibility.. you just compensate by making the play again odds higher, the shorter the follow time.

man, I could have just saved minutes of my life by just reading wackler's post! actually I guess I read about half of it :oops:

ouzoman

Post by ouzoman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:46 pm

good stuff guys -

fishmonkey, you were right, I was referring to longish clips . . .

thanks dr. wackler and longjohns - your suggestions makes sense, I'll give it a spin.

thanks all for the great brainstorm!