please lend me your ears

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bicarbone

please lend me your ears

Post by bicarbone » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:57 pm

... and I'll sing you a song, hopefully better than Ringo once did :?

Here is mine, it's called A delicious waste of time, so if you have some of your own to waste, just give it a listen and see if you feel like dropping a line.

Does the songwriting sound alright to you?

What would be some clues for further mixing?

Well, anything...

Be cruel if you have to, still if it happens to be constructive you're my friend 8)

Cheers!

Martin

SubLixx

Post by SubLixx » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:24 pm

Can't fault the songwriting, the production's pretty damn good. It does sound a bit like everything else that's out there (who am I to comment) and think it would suit a mobile phone advert.

As the song progresses I find it gets more interesting and particularly like the Beatle-esque dreamy vocal harmonies, fantastic mate.

Overall pretty good. Better production than I'll ever get to with the complete lack of spare time I have at the moment.

All the best buddy
iMac & Logic Studio

numerotre

Post by numerotre » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:24 pm

Wow man, cant be cruel, it's brilliant!

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:44 pm

that song was nice.. i like.. kinda chilled out and groovy

my speakers suck so i cant help their but i did enjoy surfin the net to this song :D

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:29 pm

Muzak Masterpiece, excellent work!
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:45 pm

Thanks fellows! I didn't expect to get so pleasant comments, so if anyone else feels like being a bit harsh, I'm ready...
SubLixx wrote:
think it would suit a mobile phone advert.
8O :lol: :roll:

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:37 pm

bicarbone -

your track is fantastic.

Worthy of McCartney himself ( in his most mischeivously melodic mode)

Really great stuff. Love the middle eight...in fact the harmonic changes are just gorgeous, and the slightly loose performance and down at heel production vibe just makes it perfect for these ears.

Good on ya, and thanks.

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:51 pm

In fact, with a few tweaks here and there, that could deffo be a hit record. And I don't offer that praise lightly.

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:20 pm

Hi evernaut!
evernaut wrote: the slightly loose performance and down at heel production vibe just makes it perfect for these ears.
8) Right, as this has mostly been recorded in the kitchen, and mixed in the living room, I quickly realised that it wasn't going to sound like a top notch studio recording. So instead of fighting to get that professional sound, I thought it would be more fun pushing it into the home made direction.

As for the hit record potential ( 8O ) I'm very flattered, but I need to have more than one song in my repertoire, just in case!

Anyway, such encouraging comments mean a lot to me, cheers!

Martin

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:33 am

Yes, this is a great track. Totally reminiscent of some late 60's psych-folk, I'm hearing more on the Nick Drake/Soft Machine sound, but my knowledge of that genre is limited and your track is also very original. Seriously good shit.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:10 am

:cry:

Won't play for me. Just sits on 0 | 0

Shame, all this praise really makes me want to listen to it. Comparisons to McCartney, Drake, let me hear it!
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

pabloaugustus

Re: please lend me your ears

Post by pabloaugustus » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:45 am

sounds great bro! great song, plus radio & commercial potential. Why don't you let us know a little bit more about your recording process? I love the drums, your drummer has nice, consistent brush work and overall groove; how did you mic the kit?
Thinkpad 2.0GHz, 2GigsRam, MOTU Traveler, Live 6.05, BFD, Triton Extreme w/Moss, PC2R, K2000

Kirb

Post by Kirb » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:02 am

Great stuff. Loved it. Ready for more.

bicarbone

Re: please lend me your ears

Post by bicarbone » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:08 am

sparklepuff wrote::cry:

Won't play for me. Just sits on 0 | 0

Shame, all this praise really makes me want to listen to it. Comparisons to McCartney, Drake, let me hear it!
I wanted to give this little flash player a test, but here's a direct link:

http://www.martinrewki.ch/_divers/mp3/D ... OfTime.mp3

Now I'm afraid all this praise might lead to disappointment...
pabloaugustus wrote: Why don't you let us know a little bit more about your recording process? I love the drums, your drummer has nice, consistent brush work and overall groove; how did you mic the kit?
The drums... It's all midi actually :wink:, EZdrummer for the most and some other samples, but furiously edited, took me hours and hours!

And I played all the other instruments myself, guitar and bass were plugged directly into my ultralite. I used a Røde NT2000 mic for the vocals as well as a SE2200A I borrowed from a buddy, and everything was done in Live.

onehandstand

Post by onehandstand » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:19 am

awesome song, i liked it a lot! worked perfectly with morning sunshine and a cup of coffee. only one minor thing that bothered me was a little hiss, you should get rid of it or put some more
loved the drum editing work